• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Video: Lakeshore

Ken_C Any time.

Jim Dodd This lake is really nice. It is motor boat accessible but I edited that all out of the video.

PaddlingPitt Thanks! The lake is Crean Lake in Prince Albert National Park. I remember demonstrating the Indian stroke near the beginning of the video but if I was using the Canadian stroke somewhere it was probably for speed. When paddling I'm mostly using the J-stroke prying off the gunwale, but sometimes the Canadian to go faster, the Indian to go slower and quieter and other times a C to fight the wind. All the other strokes I do for fun or when slow/stationary. I do cross bow draw's and sculling maneuvers near rapids or at the shore/dock. Sweeps, box strokes, Sculling maneuvers, bow drawing and prying to turn around. Bow jams and side slips are usually for my own entertainment. I could write paragraph after paragraph on this topic

Strokes are important, obviously. I would enjoy reading some paragraphs on your thoughts regarding strokes. A long time ago, when I was taking a canoe course, the instructor, during the solo component, had us doing bow jams and weight turns. In today's parlance, these were cool strokes. But because I never expected to ever really use them, they never became part of my repertoire. Too bad for me.

I no longer teach canoeing, but in my opinion, almost everyone, including me, can improve their forward stroke. We tend to get lazy. The top hand starts to hang inside the gunwale, imparting a bit of a sweep. We tend to use our arms too much, rather than using our back to pull our hips up to the firmly planted paddle. Not so important on flat water, but very important in situations such as trying to hit a mid-river eddy. A good forward stroke often spells the difference between those paddlers that hit the eddy high, and those who slide on by.

Back