• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Video, into the Solitude

Saw this many years ago. Made me want to paddle the Back River. But the trip was just a little too long for Kathleen and me. I liked the part where Perkins was trying to locate himself by finding a particular island. After searching for quite a while, he finally realized that he was actually already on the very same island he was looking for! I have experienced a similar situation out on the Barren Grounds, in my pre-gps days.

This was a first time for me, seeing this.
It seemed like a very long trip ! I wonder what he ate ?
Guessing he had to be resupplied somewhere along the two month trip !
Jim

Thanks for posting this, Jim. I read his book (about this trip) this winter. He talks about filming for a documentary and I wondered if it had ever come about. Now I know that it did. Will be fun to watch.

Alan

This is a very strange coincidence. Just two days ago i was visiting a friend and he handed me 2 Dvds. They were these 2 videos. Even though i have the vhs tapes, i havent seen them in some time. Those are two great videos and were an inspiration for me to do more canoe trips. Thanks for sharing the links. I hope Robert is getting some compensation for these being on YouTube.

I just looked and it seems this is his YouTube channel, so good for him.

Mark

Thanks for sharing the link Jim, lots of things that hit home in it.

I like the line "I tried to like Black Flies."

Now I have to find his video, 'Home Waters'. His paddle of the CT River.

Thanks for posting this Jim. We were both lounging today, post Christmas downtime, and that was perfect video to throw up on the big tv.
I sort of liked the look of it being shot on film, and occasionally hearing the gear sounds from the camera.
Even the trailers at the end were entertaining.

I wonder if this canoe would be deemed suitable by our CT staff of experts for such a mixed bag of conditions...big following seas, broaching waves, .large rapids?

Not much debt, low profile.

But he did use a cover.

Interesting

thumbnail.png

It has been a long time, but I recall from the books that Loon was a custom made stripper canoe completed to his specifications. There is a skirt in the photo above.

This will give me an excuse to reread the books.

Fitz

It has been a long time, but I recall from the books that Loon was a custom made stripper canoe completed to his specifications.
Fitz

Yes, custom wood strip made by a boat building friend of his. . There wasn't much specific info about the boat in the book. I was hoping the video (which I haven't had time to watch yet) would talk more about it. If nothing else at least I'll get to see it.

Alan

Back