• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Video About My DIY "Gear" Hammocks

Reaction score
Just posted a video about my DIY "gear" hammocks: https://youtu.be/jDrmQFHf5yw

I started using a gear hammock for hammock camping, but realized they're equally handy for canoe trips. I especially appreciated that they keep my tent's rain fly (or tarp if you use one of those) away from the tent body (or hammock). My rain fly is often quite damp/wet when packing up for the day's paddling.

FWIW

Jim

I have made 3 hammock a 9 foot and 11 foot double layer warbonnet clone and 11.5 ft gather end with 1.6 hyper d need to cut this one down to long stick out of the tarp

Funny you mention this now, just spoke to friend about camping next weekend, he will never be a ground dweller again he says. He offered me a chance to use his hammock, think it's a Warbonnet. He bought a Dutchware Chameleon and loves it, he is getting some 0f underquilts and overquilts for the NY area. I hope I will like it, I'm a belly sleeper and looked at the bridge hammocks on some videos. Yes, I watch "shug's" videos and read the hammock forums also. Hi my name is coldfeet and I'm a ground dweller.

I have completed 2 UQs (winter/3 season) 2 TQs (winter/3 season) .... new 4 season tarp, with 11.5 GE hammock .... am currently do prototypes for a new bridge hammock I am designing.

DIY is a bit addictive once you get going ... I knew I had a problem and things were going seriously off track when my better half handed ME her new pajama bottoms to be hemmed .....

I hammock camped in Algonquin in 2017 and I did it on the East Branch Penobscot last year. You do not save any weight over a tents I fell out landed on my back then I froze when I did the east Branch Penobscot Memorial Day .So I bought a light weight tent it 3 lbs was cheaper than a good under quilt 2 people tent is less gear also. Hammock is comfortable I sleep on my side in the extra wide the problem is climbing out.

JoeO .... I think the issue is likely more of finding the "right" hammock and accessories... they are not all the same ... each have there pros and cons, you can get cold on the ground or in the air.... in the ones I crafted, I would say the weight is comparable and I haven't got cold yet ..... or managed to fall out, if anything, one of the pros is the ease of getting out of a hammock compared to crawling out of a tent.

I usually fall out because let go of the hammock and do not keep it spread enough and go over the backside. This happens when I am way over tired like paddling 10-12 hours then setting up hammock. It happened once I was in the rain all day just changed into dry cloths and it was dark hammock was next to a ditch hammock was not spread enough and I went over. I forgot under quilt once that sucked and I did not have a pad only small piece of reflectix. I have gone place also where hammock would not work as well. I went with the tent over buying a underquilt to lighten the load a little more than comfort. I have a Thermorest neoair(the winter one real comfortable). I may try the pad this year with my current underquilt. Some place hammock does not work trees are not big enough. I may eventually by a good under quilt can not have to much gear :)

I have a couple of lines that keep the hammock open, plus if you are using a GE, a mattress will likely cause more grief than it is worth on the trail. If you aren't already there, you really need to get over to Hammock Forums, probably a) save you some grief b) give you some ideas c) lots of experienced ppl to answer questions or address issues you may have

Just a suggestion

Back