• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Venison jerky ideas

Reaction score
My son offered me another venison hindquarter today. My freeze is full of small packages of steaks, enough for one meal a week till next season so I want to make some jerky. I'll buy a dryer from ? and give it a go, all new to me.
I don't do hot spices at all. Plain is good, but a little taste is good too.
Teriyaki?

Any jerky recipes or best ways to dry it?
Can I ad it to meals like rice or pasta sides for a little meat on the trail?

Robin, Any way you have to dry it will work, I dry mine in the oven set on the lowest setting with the door cracked a pencil thickness. but a smoker, dehydrator, campfire, ect. has been used by others, just keep temp low so as not to cook it. You can rub it with salt ,spices ,sugar, or brine to cure it so it lasts longer or not . I've made it many ways yet never spoiled it. How long you cure or dry it, even how thick you slice it contributes to the final product. What was the best jerky you ever ate & try to reproduce it. My problem is I never met jerky I didn't like with a good beer to wash it down. It doesn't hang around long.

Last edited:
I actually find using ground and a jerky gun easier. You get consistency that you don't get with the sliced stuff. I have tried a few recipes but always go back to ready made recipes from the store, they seem to be well balanced.

Last edited:
Teriyaki is my standard--never get tired of it. Also, I do mine in the oven, too--works like a charm. Slicing it slightly frozen is easiest--doesn't squirm.

I was telling my wife about my plans for the venison and she said to use the oven too, no need to buy a dehydrator for the little I would use it.

Thanks, I like to soak small venison chunks in Lawry Teriyaki before frying them in onions and butter. I'll use the Lawry's for a marinade on the jerky.

Sounds like a plan but put some foil on the bottom of the oven if you have plans on ever doing it again, don't ask how I know .You will be surprised at how long it takes but that's what you want, low & slow with many taste tests along the way.You'll wonder what you will do with all this & a few days later its all gone.

I cut n clean quality pieces and place in a gallon ziplock. Put just enough soy sauce to cover. Add a cup of honey and a cup of brown sugar. A few tablespoons of garlic powder. Splash of pepper. Add chili flakes optional.. marinate over night.

goes in a little chief smoker 12 hrs aprox.. less early season warm weather..more now..or whenever I get home fron work and can remove it...

Sometimes just overnight in a ziploc with some montreal steak spice. Any of the mixes yoiu get at Cabelas etc work good.

You can use it at meal time but I find drying chunks or ground works better for that. The jerky is trail food.

I tried using ground, extra lean, rolled out with a rolling pin and that was a nice surprise. It worked really good. Cut into strips and dried it is very tasty.

Not much point in this topic unless you are going to share the results to those who have contributed their recipes...:D

I like a somewhat sweet jerky marinade. Have used both the oven and a dehydrator. I put hot sauce, brown sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and ginger. (I found ginger is what really made the recipe sing) When I get mine just right it's tangy to the taste, maybe even too hot, too salty, too punchy...a lot of that flavor disappears once you pour off the marinade (I let it set nearly 24 hrs typically) and more often I have been disappointed in results when the marinade has only been tasty not punchy!

I also cut mine, as noted, almost frozen, it gives you a nice clean even slice which makes for easier and simpler drying. (less checking to see what is dry before it gets too dried out)

Have fun, the results are always edible.

I used to make jerky for years in a dehydrator but that finally fried and I gave it up. Then I lost the recipe I played with over those years in our house fire. But my old paddling partner had a copy of it and sent it to me. A little hard to read but this was a really good recipe for me. I don't like a lot of hot so stayed away from those spices/liquids, hate the burning mouth and sweating head thing. I thought about buying a new dehydrator but when I saw the price these days I said the heck with it. My first one cost 30$. A pic of the recipe. I'm sure using the stove will work just fine!

Attachments

• photo8682.jpg
    photo8682.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanksgiving 2016 a family member smoked a turkey. (Boy, doesn't that conjure up Cheech&Chong memories.) Anyway, yes, he brined the bird for a little too long and did the smokey thing. As much as I love smoked everything (fish, cheese, jerky) that gobbler was eye watering to eat. Way too overdone. I wasn't aware that was possible. Also, another family member loves teriyaki everything. Every dang time there's a family doo, out comes the teriyaki salad, teriyaki chicken nuggets, teriyaki whatevers. I've come to realise I might be a little more discerning in my smoke flavoured choices, and for that reason, I'm willing to lay my body on the line for all you good folks. All you have to do is send me your best bits of jerky, and I will judge them without bias and prejudice. I know, I know, it's a lot to ask of me, but I swear I'm willing to give it my all. Somebody has to do it. Might as well be me. I'll take one for the jerky team.

So I brought the venison hind quarter in yesterday, it had been hanging in the barn frozen solid for a week or so. I got it just as the meat by the bone was just frozen, the outer meat was thawed but cold. I never separated the cuts, I just sliced across all the hindquarter and when I was done with removing all the meat from the bone, I trimmed all the silver skin and sliced the remaining meat to long narrow strips. I even butterflied the small pieces.
I ended up just using Lawry Teriyaki sauce for marinade, I like it on my fried venison so for my first 1 gallon bag I went with that. My next bag will be DougD's recipe above in post #10
Tomorrow I'll use our oven to slow cook it.
Thanks for the ideas.
​​​​​​​

If I leave my house by about 3pm on Sunday afternoon, I can be there up in the NW Hills just in time to have one of the first pieces...:D

Common Robin, this is worth a little video of the process my friend!! And plus it's been a while since we saw you last... The Wanigan built I think!

A coworker got a dehydrator for Christmas and brought a big bag of his first batch of jerky to work. Boy oh boy, you make friends fast if you do that.

Here in Connecticut we are blessed with some of the highest electric rates in the country, (# 3) so rather than use the oven, I'll borrow my sons dehydrator, I think it might be more efficient.. My wife brought me home some honey so I added that last night along with some brown sugar, Thanks Greenfrog.
I should have made a video, darn it.

Here in Connecticut we are blessed with some of the highest electric rates in the country, (# 3) so rather than use the oven, I'll borrow my sons dehydrator, I think it might be more efficient.. My wife brought me home some honey so I added that last night along with some brown sugar, Thanks Greenfrog.
I should have made a video, darn it.

THe dehydrated is definitely more energy efficient than the oven...

When I make venison Jerky I take small steak scraps as well as the fore leg muscles, ( forearms, calf) and cut it into individual muscles, leaving most of the silver skin on ( my family likes the Jerky a little tough ) and I soak it over night in soy sauce and liquid smoke in a bread pan in the refrigerator. I then put it in my dehydrator. It goes pretty fast - we really like it that way and I agree the dehydrator is very efficient.

Bob.

I finished my jerky and I'm happy with the results. My wife thinks it's bland which is fine with me. I like my jerky like my canoes, not a lot of add on's. I went easy on the marinade, some teriyaki, brown sugar and honey, but not too much. On a couple of trays I added some spicy 'Jamaican Jerk Seasoning" and I'm not happy with the results. I'll give it to my sons (it's in the small sandwich bags in the pic), they might like it.
It will be nice to have this on my coming canoe trips, maybe some Idahoan instant potatoes with a couple of pieces for lunch or a package of Knorr Pasta sides with the jerky and clear cool lake water...Coffee, Hungry Jack hashbrown's and chewing on some jerky by the fire for breakfast, Can't wait.

Thanks for the advice, sorry about not spicing it up for the added kick, ,

Attachments

• photo8779.jpg
    photo8779.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 0
Back