• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Belt and suspenders gear?

G

We pack two super sharp inexpensive paring knives (with blade guards) with a small cutting board. Why two? It's a belt and suspenders thing. I seldom use these knives for anything else but food prep, and even that doesn't happen very often.
The identical part is merely a coincidence. Why two? It's the belt and suspenders thing again.

Of all the blades I bring there is one, or two as it happens, that I do consider necessary to canoe tripping both in thought and in action. My axe and/or hatchet. Why both, two of the similar same? Belt and suspenders.[/QUOTE

Great topic! I rarely bring an axe, and only occasionally a saw. Always a little folding saw, but I’m not processing much firewood with that. I do have some Belt & Suspenders gear that comes on every trip.

Yeah, spare paddle(s) of course. Yeah, multiple knives. Yeah, extra rope or line. Yeah, multiple fire sources. Those shouldn’t even count against a Belt & Suspenders score. Beyond those, for my top five:

#1, Flashlights, at least two, with spare batteries. More if you count the Luci-lights for tent reading.

#2, more than one compass; a deck compass on a thwart and a hand held compass in the PFD pocket or essentials bag.

#’s 3 and 4; spare writing implements, reading spare reading glasses. If I can’t write or read I’m happiness screwed.

#5 belt and suspenders has some competition. Maybe two canteens even when I have a dromedary bag. Or a sleeping pad and a half-sheet of Ridgerest, that piece of foam pad fits on the wind chair or in the day hammock as insulation, and under my Therma-rest as extra padding and thorn protection at night.

Eh, maybe changes of footwear scores #5; but that edges into the clothing realm.

What “Belt and suspenders” gear do you carry?

Belt and suspenders in the kitchen. It's not just the paring knives.
Try as I might I've yet been able to pack a kitchen kit lacking 2 matching fry pans. Despite folding handles they don't nest together well, and although I often use one of them as a lid for the other to bake bannock they do seem doubly redundant most of the time. But they are "slippery" because every time I slip one into the kitchen kit in preparation of a trip the 2nd slides in as well. It's purely a mind game thing. I just can't outfox myself into tripping with only 1 frypan.

Love that drawtite tent. I have a smaller version-great design.

Everything looks brand new, including Cliff.
When I first went to work for Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game, Commercial Fisheries Div. we had every size of those Drawtite tents. The largest one we jury rigged a stove jack and a wood stove to keep us warm on some of projects. If I remember correctly the wood stove was a upside down rural mail box with four eye bolts for legs.

Dog Leashes. Dog Whistles. Knives. Rods and reels on an important trip. Flashlights/headlamps. Fire making instruments. Compasses and Maps.. Car keys. Cargo straps and bungees.
Pistols (when working in Chicago). Sunglasses. Shotguns on an out of state hunting trip. Baby wipes, Boat drain plugs.

Yes, sunglasses. I’ve been snowblind 1.5 times years ago and cannot open my eyes on sunny days without sunglasses. 3 pair; two good pairs and a slender pair in reserve in the Spares & Repairs bag.

Yes, spare truck keys. Whatever ring I used to drive to the put in (truck key, cap door key, roof rack key, pad lock key), another identical set in the Spares & Repairs bag, and a single truck key in a little pouch (along with a $20 bill) clipped inside a PFD pocket. I once managed to lock five (yes, five) sets of keys inside the van at a remote launch at the conclusion of a family trip.

The last time I needed the PFD key I had someone take my truck to the take out and leave it there. I was several miles down the river before it occurred to me that I had not brought any keys. A brief moment of panic before I remembered that I had one in my PFD.

My knife and my Tilley hat. My chainsaw for anything that is multi day tripping. Fishing gear because that reallllllly is my thing. I have developed an attachment to my machete...lord only knows why but it comes with me every time now. Even day hikes. A fire steel and the hoopomatic fire starter. I do use them but only because of the cool factor. I usually have a BBQ lighter inside the stove case.

Christine

I am single handedly keeping the reading glasses industry afloat. I think I have at least 7 pairs around home and vehicle somewhere, because when I need a pair I really need them. Two pair go on canoe trips, one pr kept in a tent pocket and the other spare pair playing hide and seek in and out of shirt pockets, blue barrel, packs and jackets. You never know when they might come in handy. I wouldn't be the least surprised to wake up one morning to find a black bear in camp perusing my maps with my reading glasses perched on it's nose. I've heard they're good at finding stuff, and a tad short sighted.

Last edited:
I am single handedly keeping the reading glasses industry afloat. I think I have at least 7 pairs around home and vehicle somewhere, because when I need a pair I really need them. Two pair go on canoe trips, one pr kept in a tent pocket and the other spare pair playing hide and seek in and out of shirt pockets, blue barrel, packs and jackets.

You and me both brother.

A pair in the bedroom for reading at night. A pair in the kitchen for reading cooking/baking instructions. A pair by my comfy newspaper reading chair. A pair in my office, another pair in the shop. A pair on the water heater in the basement for reading the checklist while packing. A pair+ in each vehicle, so I can read the damnable 1 point font on labels in the hardware or grocery store, or menus in unfamiliar diners. Or my newspaper in familiar diners where I don’t need a menu.

The bane of my home reading glasses existence is when I (Dummkopf) take a pair from their designated spot and carelessly leave them somewhere else. Dammit, I need my glasses to find my glasses.

Tripping, three pair. A primary pair in my essentials bag. Another pair goes in a tent pocket as soon as the tent goes up, so I don’t nestle into a warm sleeping bag to read only to find that, crap, I gotta get up again, I got no reading glasses.

A last ditch folding pair in a hard case in the Spares and Repairs bag, sorta like these

https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Glas...ocphy=9007844&hvtargid=pla-359077608616&psc=1

Yeah, I have used those folders, and more often lent them out to desperate friends.

I go through a lot of readers also and those folders, which I keep as spares, have saved me more than once. Unless I'm reading I find I don't need them for tripping, that is until I go to tie a small fly onto my leader.

Knives- a Swiss Army in my pocket and another in the main 1st aid kit (smaller one in the daypack) that has pliers, scissors, and a can opener as backups for the kitchen ones, and if in the off season on crown land, a sheath-knife that I can baton wood with. A cook stove with a small alcohol stove in the daypack for lunchtime brews or backup if the big one burner takes a crap. My kitchen kit also has an extra lighter and matches, FOUR forks and spoons, and another razor-sharp steak knife.
I also bring an extra paddle- a wide beaver tail for shallow or fast water, and an otter tail for lake paddling. there are several compasses, lighters, and matchboxes scattered throughout my gear, and a second pair of glasses with clip- ons in my Tilley. I've also got several bandannas too

and a can opener as backups for the kitchen ones

Yeah, that too. The Swiss Army knife and multi-tool both have can openers, and I carry a P38, just in case my belt & suspenders pants still manage to fall down. Some tiny things are hard to improve on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

Which is kinda silly; I only carry cans on coastal trips where I have to pack in water (and most often when promise of clams and mussels is foretold). But the P38 is so tiny why not leave one packed. Er, ok, more than one.

I am reminded of a minimalist no-stove paddling friend, a guy who ranges all over the country, who eats mostly out of cans. Cold cans, not even heated, like a heaping helping of cold beans and franks. For breakfast; really not something you want to witness first thing in the morning.

He found himself on a trip with no can opener and, despite his companion’s offering to lend him one, had to bail, probably en route to the nearest Wal-mart.

I have more than one P38 in my kit; I watched a different hungry fellow destroy the blade on a sheath knife while sawing open a couple of cans before I could stop him. It is fun to hand that P38 to someone unfamiliar with the teeny folded cutting edge and provide zero instruction.

OK, for Lux shoreline group trips in that car camper guise, I carry multiple bottle cap openers. Yet, somehow, I am often asking for one back after searching my pockets.

Sitting around a car camping fire late at night, before or after a trip , I’d like a dozen “Keep it” bottle openers, scattered in every pocket.

I need to find a dozen slender (and decently effective) bottle openers to pass out “Keep it” as needed. With attached accoutrements. One with a “Jeeve’s, my good man, while you are up, I need a beverage” bell. Yeah heck yeah, that one’s mine, I already have the old bear bells to attach

One with a Rabbit’s foot for luck. One with a mini-knife for someone I like. One with a DIY Voodo Doll for someone I don’t. A “gift” bottle opener attached to a horseshoe, in can’t-loose Gas Station restroom key style. Eh, I don’t want that one back, thanks anyway Tom, you keep it.

Or, in more kindly fashion, maybe an opener, a small, single folder blade, and a tiny night-vision amber light on the same small ring?

Anyone have suggestions for small, inexpensive bottle openers, folding knife blades and wee amber lights to outfit give-away key rings?

Anyone have suggestions for small, inexpensive bottle openers, folding knife blades and wee amber lights to outfit give-away key rings?

eBay "mini bottle openers" many options.....from cheap to REALLY cheap!

Granted they are not high quality but for a dollar or two and if you are giving them away.............

Back