• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Urban Paddling

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know many members on this site are accustomed to paddling in wilderness environments, but there are also great opportunities to have a great time in urban environments. I find that this is a great way to get out on the water and to get friends into paddle sports in the first place.

In light of all the major flooding in the Ottawa valley and the US Midwest, having a canoe and knowing your local water ways can also be a huge benefit in an emergency situation and my heart goes out to all those affected by these floods.

I recently put together a quick video touching on these topics while showcasing great spots in and around the greater Toronto area (GTA) for paddling and having a good time on the water with friends. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to share your experiences paddling close to home in urban or suburban environments.

https://youtu.be/mINoWfoS8LI

- Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm.. Urban paddling is so much more complicated. You have to share the water with commercial users in a harbor setting and be mindful of their routes. You do not have the right of way over all craft.. Particularly in a port setting.
I would like more emphasis on the safety aspect. While I don't get excited about non PFD users it seems a good idea to mention that cold water kills.. We have already lost some people this year wearing no PFD and t shirts and jeans.
Useful in a flood? Absolutely not.. RIvers are very dangerous in a flood and harbor unseen junk that can trap you.. They may look innocuous but are not.. Again we have had some rescues because people paddled in a flood.
I liked the scenery. That is about it.

That said the only urban paddling I have is an hour away and there is too much ferry oil tanker and fishing traffic to be aware of for me.

Minneapolis has always impressed me not only in terms of paddleable waterways within the city but also how much most of them are utilized. Not always my cup of tea but I have enjoyed getting out on the water in Minneapolis a time or two. You can find relative solitude or thronging crowds depending on time and location. Sometimes the thronging crowd is a fun/interesting departure from my normal.

Alan

There is some relatively decent urban paddling in Winnipeg....The Red and Assininboine meet downtown at the Forks and that is a touristy kind of place. A lot of motor boat traffic though right there. I have paddled the Assiniboine into down town and also the Red and the Seine.
I much prefer the suburban paddling that one can get on the Seine and Lasalle outside of the city limits. My last two trips were there. Paddle Manitoba sponsors wednesday night paddles on the La salle and that is a lot of fun. We had @ 30 boats for the season opener.

There are also a lot of creeks and smallish rivers just outside of the city with farm and residential shorelines that can be great fun for a day paddle. I love my wilderness trips but any day on the water is a great day for me.

Headed off to do the Souris from Souris to Brandon this weekend. Should be a blast.

Good topic Eric

​​​​​​​

Good topic is right!

Interesting how many canoeing/kayaking stories are coming out of the flooding in Eastern Canada.

Having paddled the Red and Assiniboine last September, I would suggest you avoid the Forks and the Red River if you can- the shuttles back and forth to the legislature don't slow down. Ask me how i know...

I paddle urban waters at least twice a week. Our Voyageur Canoe practices are on the North Saskatchewan in Edmonton and the Sturgeon River flows through downtown St Albert. While these are my most regular paddles, they aren't my favourite. Much rather remote northern lakes and rivers with no one else around.
But anytime spent in a canoe is time well spent!

Bruce

I’m thinking that most paddling occurs near to where people live. Even though Kathleen and I prefer wilderness paddling, we spent a lot of time canoeing very near Vancouver, BC. Not right down town of course. But “urban” paddling opportunities included the Seymour River, which ends at tidewater near the Second Narrows Bridge on the Upper Levels Highway. The Capilano River, which begins at the fish hatchery, and ends very near tide water near the upscale Park Royal mall in West Vancouver. We sometimes paddled in English Bay, around the container ships at anchor. There was a very nice paddle in False Creek, over to Granville Island, to the Farmer’s Market, with lattes and street performers. An hour north of Vancouver, near the town of Squamish, was the very pleasant Mamquam River. One of our favourites was the Chilliwack River, an hour east of Vancouver, near the town of Cilliwack. All very nice day or half-day trips.

Reading this, I wonder why I ever left!

These rivers are all flowing out of the Coast Mountains. They are heavily forested, and at flood water stages, filled with pellmelling logs to go along with the many sweepers. Even experienced canoeists would be at serious risk trying to help out. They would be a detriment, not a benefit in emergency situations. Just my opinion. Perhaps they could help out in flooded residential areas, but these are not actually “local waterways.”

Thanks for the topic, Eric!

- Michael

FYI

Transport Minister Marc Garneau has vastly expanded the interim ban on boating on the Ottawa River to a more than 400-kilometre stretch from the Otto Holden Dam, northwest of Mattawa to Lake of Two Mountains near Hudson, Que.
The interim order, issued Tuesday night, also includes the Mattawa River between the Hurdman Dam and where it enters the Ottawa River. It includes all pleasure craft, including human-powered boats such as canoes and kayaks.
Tuesday night’s order lifted restrictions on the Muskoka River, where floodwaters have receded.
The boat ban on the flooded Ottawa River was the first use of a new law that gives the Minister of Transportation broad powers over Canada’s waterways.

That is an incredibly long stretch of River for anyone who doesn't know that part of Canada.

Bruce

All I do in Ohio is semi rural day paddling, passing through small towns and cities, or avoiding them. All streams have sewage plants every 6-8 miles. Along farm fields and through suburbs. Clogged with noisy pilgrims after 10 am every summer day. I go, but rarely. Flooding is receded a little now. I'd say my trips elsewhere constitute 90% of my annual paddling. That's a sad fact. I'd emigrate to Canada if I thought they'd take me.

I call urban paddling "sensational." It stimulates my senses--big, bright shiny things to look at, scents to smell (ew, not all good), and lots of noise, such as traffic, subway trains, and jet aircraft screaming overhead. You might not like it, but it is sensational. Posting some pics from some urban trips.Urban4.jpg
Urban1.jpg
Urban3.jpg

Urban2.jpg

Urban-JF.jpg

Attachments

• Urban3.jpg
    Urban3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010352.jpg
    P1010352.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Urban-JF.JPG
    Urban-JF.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 0
Sometime urban paddling is the only way to get my paddling fix. Notice the video by Eric has shots of the Toronto area. Lots of neat spots to paddle here in the city...

072_rs.jpg

127_rs.jpg

2016%2BIslands%2BDaytrip%2B27_rs.jpg

Island+Paddle+030_rs.jpg

Sometimes there's the added bonus of getting lunch via drive thru...

2016%2BIslands%2BDaytrip%2B54_rs.jpg

Island+Paddle+033_rs.jpg

Wildlife viewing can be better too since the critters don't seem as spooked by human intruders. The only mink I've ever seen in years of paddling was at the Toronto Islands...

2016%2BIslands%2BDaytrip%2B63_rs.jpg

I am really fortunate to have access to The Great Swamp (in Patterson, NY) a mile from my house. It's not really urban paddling, more like suburban/rural paddling. It's my go-to location for a day paddle in spring, summer, fall. This year I am going to try it in early winter before it ices over.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Out the back yard is the Rice Creek chain of lakes. You can paddle the 5 lakes and see lots of waterfowl and eagles and ospreys. Tire of the lakes head down rice creek to the Mississippi for 4 -6 hrs of fun. It used to be an old indigenous route to cut the distance down to go between the St. Croix and Mississippi above the confluence.

Paddling urban allows me to get on the water and keep up with paddling skills.

Back