• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Underwear

Nylon and silk are good choices for around water. Polyester is more likely to nurture stinky (and worse) bacteria.

On the water, I wear speedo-like under-wetsuit briefs made by a dive company called Mako. Less material means you can wear them dry in no time, whether under shorts or pants. My tripmates don't always appreciate my euro-style swimwear, but it makes for some good laughs. Around camp in the evening, I'll change into a pair of synthetic boxers.

On the subject, if I ever make a single great contribution to CT.net, it might be sharing this secret weapon.

Well here goes. Like Alan, I've been doing commando for years in warm to hot weather. No swamp@** for me. An added bonus was when my heart failed and I ended up in the ER I didn't have to worry about clean underwear. My canoe trips (BWCA) have always been in shoulder seasons. I wear boxers and a base layer of either synthetic or merino wool. The boxers are just to keep my base layers fresher. Dave

In warm to hot weather, I consider undershorts to be a redundant and mostly useless garment for canoeing—just an additional thing to get wet from perspiration, rain or swimming, to get odoriferous, to promote fungal and bacterial growth in unwelcome places, and to need washing/rinsing and drying out. Loose cargo pants made from a quick drying, lightweight fabric are my favorites in warm/hot weather. Or shorts/bathing trunks with the sewn-in liner cut out.

Nor would I wear an undershirt under my canoeing shirt in warm to hot weather for the same reasons.

I have old REI water shorts that I really like - they look like hiking shorts with the usual pockets, are loose fitting and made of nylon. Comfortable and fast drying. My wife has repaired them several times, so I really hope they last for the remainder of my tripping days. Perfect summer trip wear.

image.jpg

It seems to me that, if we get far enough away from civilization, we could dispose of both under and outer wear and just go full-on nudist. Not to worry though, if I ever try it, there will be no selfies. (you're welcome)
That works for me

Back