• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Underwear

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unmentionables. Bloomers. Pantaloons.

We've got to mention them for canoe trips, and give some recommendations on material, price and brands. Yes, it depends on climate, so you can discuss that.

Boxers, briefs or long johns for all climates?

In summertime, does the the fabric need to come from a chemical factory or can it come from an animal or plant?

Do we have to spend a lot of money on name brands?

Do we wear underwear under shorts in summer? For guys, do we like shorts with sewn-in briefs or not?

Do we . . . (gasp!) . . . need underwear at all?

Synthetic fabric for all seasons. Once you go synthetic, you’ll not return to plant based fabric unless you like dampness. Brands and styles are for the beholder.

OK...I'll go...during the warmer months I usually paddle in shorts that double as a bathing suit so a sewn-in liner is part of the garment. Most of the ones I wear are made of nylon but some are a blend of nylon & polyester. All are quick drying and have plenty of pockets along with a belt to hold everything up in a suitably appropriate manner. During the cooler months I'll probably be in a pair of Duluth Trading Post "Buck Naked" boxer briefs or a pair of poly/cotton boxers from Haines. Nothing fancy but both dry quickly and do the job they were made to do.

Sorry there's nothing controversial in my choices. Hope to learn a bit more from what others chose to use.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Synthetics for me too, boxer-briefs, any cheap pairs from the discount retailers(TJ Max, Marshalls)
Same for long unders, synthetic and cheap, although I did find a $15 pair of UnderArmour long johns at Marshalls.
Swim trunks? I do have a swim suit, with the inner liner cut away like all my smimwear. Not too often used.
I have synthetic cargo shorts that double as a swim suit, quick drying and no need t bring extra clothing.

I do a fair amount of skiing in the better months, including back country skinning and skiing. Lots of calories expended in a short time, followed by possibly bone chilling descents, important to stay dry and warm. A lot of thoseBC skiing under garments carry over to warm weather activities, moisture wicking and quick drying are essential.

I used to use synthetics, but I have mostly switched to Merino wool blends.

Longjohns in winter, briefs or nothing at all in the summer (depending on the situation).

A shorty Farmer John Neoprene wetsuit in the cold under spray pants & paddling jacket; is that still "under wear"?

Last edited:
No underwear for me 8 months out of the year. I've been going commando for around 7 years I suppose.

It's cooler, it's better ventilated, there is no bunching and grabbing, and pants try out much quicker when wet. The only downside is a bigger penalty for the crotch tearing out of your pants or forgetting to zip up.

In the winter I wear long underwear bottoms every day. Semi-loose fit.

Alan

I like under armor type garments for anything athletic in nature, especially because it is quick drying and keeps my legs from rubbing together if I have to walk a lot.

Stanfields. I wear a long sleeve, merino base-layer shirt about 90% of the time - sometimes by itself. I love that thing. Their fleece top and long johns serve as bed clothes and could also be a base layer if it got very cold and I had to remain stationary (I couldn't imagine wearing these while doing any type of activity). I haven't made the leap from cotton/poly/spandex boxers - rocking the Mark's, Denver Hayes fitted boxers for now. I have a strong aversion to certain man-made fabrics - I can't even touch most of Under Armour's product line.

I use synthetic underwear on trips for their quick dry ability. And I don’t like the seemingly high cost so I watch for them from vendors such as Sierra Outpost, etc. I do like merino wool tops which I wear daily about 7-8 months of the year. I am an old guy with declining metabolism.

Scratchypants mention of Under Armour reminded me of a friend I used to paddle with. His son was a University of Wisconsin standout football player who went on to play with the Cleveland Browns for many years. He had an endorsement deal with Under Armour so the entire family was always wearing Under Armour garments on a daily basis l

No underwear for me 8 months out of the year. I've been going commando for around 7 years I suppose.

It's cooler, it's better ventilated, there is no bunching and grabbing, and pants try out much quicker when wet. The only downside is a bigger penalty for the crotch tearing out of your pants or forgetting to zip up.

In the winter I wear long underwear bottoms every day. Semi-loose fit.

Alan
"No underwear for me 8 months out of the year. I've been going commando for around 7 years I suppose."

...and the promotion to Super Moderator becomes just a bit more clear...

Sorry - Alan, couldn't help it. Congrats on the move!

I am remimded of the story often told to Boy Scouts in camp. One pair of underwear should last a boy for four days - forward, backward and then inside out forward and backward. But then of course if you share a tent with a buddy, you can each get eight days of wear. :oops:

I am remimded of the story often told to Boy Scouts in camp. One pair of underwear should last a boy for four days - forward, backward and then inside out forward and backward. But then of course if you share a tent with a buddy, you can each get eight days of wear. :oops:
My BIL, a Vietnam marine vet, said they had the same underwear routine in the field, only they substituted weeks for days.

Back