• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Thermal underwear recommendations?

Reaction score
I wear "long john" bottoms every day from November to March. I need to buy some more and am having trouble finding what I want and was hoping for some recommendations. I've tried multiple brands over the and years and more often than not what I find available is not what I prefer.

I'm looking for something mid-weight that fits somewhat close to the skin but is not skin tight. Most of what's available is a tight fit that doesn't allow your skin to slide within the pants. This looks cool but I find it very uncomfortable over the course of an active working day. The tight pants aren't as warm either. I'm also looking for something that has a smooth and somewhat slick outer surface that slides under the top layer of pants. With these two attributes I can do anything I like while wearing the thermal underwear and not even be aware it's there. No bunching and no grabbing.

The best I've found so far are some midweight thermals from REI I bought 3-4 years ago. Since then, however, the design has been changed and they now fit tighter to the skin and at the end of the day it was a relief to take them off.

Anyone have something they like? There is nowhere near here to find them in person so it will be an online order.

Alan

I used to read a Nordic skiing mag in the 70s that induced me to dryland train and eat a little strangely. Hill running and a morning raw egg with oat flakes. Mmm. Something else I read was the use of ladies tights/nylon stockings as a thin lightweight base layer. You'd be surprised how warm a thin layer can be. But I was into wool back then, both light and medium, both for activities in the cold. I gave up all that years ago. A few years ago she bought me base layer bottoms called Paradox Drirelease, might've been purchased at Costco. Some kinda poly material, fits close but not tight, slicker than any wool. They are surprisingly warm. I see them on Amazon.
I wear these even in summer under shorts on trips. Good breathability, quick dry.

Last edited:
I’ve had good luck with Duluth Trading base layers. I find them comfortable and not too expensive if you don’t care for them.

Bob

I am wearing right now running tights. They have a very thin fleece layer and outer is nylon; its slick enough for glissading.. Not tight fitting..

And as they are some 20 years old wear like iron.. They are Nike's made for jogging in the winter.

Indera, Amazon. Affordable, good fit and easily worn from November until April around here. I’ve worn these for several years now And never vacillate toward this or that now.

I wear "long john" bottoms every day from November to March. I need to buy some more and am having trouble finding what I want and was hoping for some recommendations. I've tried multiple brands over the and years and more often than not what I find available is not what I prefer.

I'm looking for something mid-weight that fits somewhat close to the skin but is not skin tight. Most of what's available is a tight fit that doesn't allow your skin to slide within the pants. This looks cool but I find it very uncomfortable over the course of an active working day. The tight pants aren't as warm either. I'm also looking for something that has a smooth and somewhat slick outer surface that slides under the top layer of pants. With these two attributes I can do anything I like while wearing the thermal underwear and not even be aware it's there. No bunching and no grabbing.

The best I've found so far are some midweight thermals from REI I bought 3-4 years ago. Since then, however, the design has been changed and they now fit tighter to the skin and at the end of the day it was a relief to take them off.

Anyone have something they like? There is nowhere near here to find them in person so it will be an online order.

Alan

In a recent review of LL Bean's mid-weight offerings, both wool & polyester/nylon blend, I remember reading that they were a loose fit. Seems like they may not be as form fitting as most. It might be worth a look at their site to see what you find.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Minus 33 mid weight merino wool, tops and bottoms. Lots of colors, styles including one piece for that ultimate old timer woodsman or woman look. Mine have been very long lasting, warm, not too warm so as be sticky from sweat.
I also like Wool Power a Swedish company and for real cold I wear Stanfield’s in the interior Alaska, where it is -30 degrees F. today. Probably overkill for Iowa.
LL Bean merino wool bottoms that I bought had very poor elastic in the waist, if you don’t mind wearing suspenders on your long John bottoms, the wool material was good.

Last edited:
I'm looking for something mid-weight that fits somewhat close to the skin but is not skin tight. Most of what's available is a tight fit that doesn't allow your skin to slide within the pants. This looks cool but I find it very uncomfortable over the course of an active working day. The tight pants aren't as warm either.

I don't wear long johns and have no brand in mind, but if you know of a brand you like, why not just order a size larger than normal to get a looser body fit? You can always roll up the cuffs and ankles.

Stanfields for cold and wet. Stanfields for severe cold.
Thanks for all of the posts. I sleep in cashmere sweaters I got as a gift. I use them under heavy shirts.
Merino wool is great for everything.
There are lots of choices. Over the years I have had some Patagonia products that are still functional after 40 years of wear.
Next I am going to try some Duluth Trading Co underwear.

I switched to Lined Jeans !
Seem to work just as good , without the hassle of Long Johns.

I have a few pairs from Menards, and one or two, Wrangler lined jeans. Both work fine. I don't know what they use for lining. Pick up one pair, and give them a try.

You might want something tomorrow, as the Deep Freeze cometh tomorrow night !

Jim

The closer to your skin the more your piece will perform for you. Keeping you warmer, dryer, less clammy, and less stinky. Ultimately, merino from a number of brands will be the better option for most. There are differences in the types of merino, but all merino is still softer than the traditional raglan wool that we can get real cheap. But wool is wool, they all work similarly.

Those wool/poly blends are good to aid in the durability which will extend the life of the piece. Merino has a tendency to wear and produce holes over time. polyester has a tendency to stink over time. Merino is flame resistant, anti microbial, smooth natural fibers, requires less cleaning, and has good warmth to heat ratio. And can be found for good pricing. Merino hangs onto a small percentage of moisture which is what helps in regulating your body temp, even in heavier pieces.

Polyester base layers have a place too, but they can sometimes feel clammy. Some people are overly sensitive to wool and a good synthetic is a great alternative. Poly will dry much faster if wet from sweat or water. Usually more affordable, although, not always.

For me, I choose merino wool for most activities or inactivities. I can wear less bulk, while being toasty warm. For the longest time I only had three pieces of wool base layers. Lightweight bottoms, lightweight long sleeve and a heavy weight long sleeve. I would wear them several days before considering washing. So great for tripping. And if you can get a wool/poly blend, that’d be a great option.

Stoic is a brand, usually on a website called steepandcheap.com, where you can snag some wool pieces at a great price. They lack the fit of more expensive brands, but it’s a great entry to wool. IMO.

I forgot to mention

I use Smartwool, Ridge merino, and Arc’teryx base layers. I have also used the brand from Target, they have a “low-med-high” warmth rating. It works and it’s inexpensive.

Back