• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Ultimate Decks

RjC

Reaction score
I completed my first canoe, a 16’ prospector that my son helped me build last year. The time I got to spend with him, the lessons that we learned from each other and the things we learned about building a canoe and about each other, I will cherish for the rest of my life.

When it was time to build and install the decks he said he wanted to do something special to them. He told me what he had in mind, but I had no idea what amazing artistry he was about to reveal.
Here is the story about what he made and why they are so special to me.
I still can hardly believe what happened during and when we got back from the first launch!
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8BWJuFt/

RjC, welcome first post to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I don't know about anyone else, but unfortunately I don't see any video at your link.

I completed my first canoe, a 16’ prospector that my son helped me build last year. The time I got to spend with him, the lessons that we learned from each other and the things we learned about building a canoe and about each other, I will cherish for the rest of my life.

When it was time to build and install the decks he said he wanted to do something special to them. He told me what he had in mind, but I had no idea what amazing artistry he was about to reveal.
I still can hardly believe what happened during and when we got back from the first launch!
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8BWJuFt/
Hi RjC.
I can not see any video at that link either. Sounds intriguing but I always feel hesitant to go on to the Tiktok platform which is notorious for all sorts of bad things.
Could you upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo perhaps?

Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see another builder and, perhaps, have a chance to get new ideas for future builds. I have a TikTok account and it comes up as "video not available". I'm intrigued though so, if you can fix it, let us know.

What hull did you build and will you build another?

Welcome aboard RjC. I hope you find this an enjoyable forum and return often to participate.

I do think it's a a bit of bad form to post an outside link for your first forum post. Too often it seems people only post to draw attention to their Youtube or Tiktok pages rather than actually interacting with the forum. I personally don't follow such links unless it's a forum member I'm familiar with.

Alan

I talked to my son and he put the video back up. I didn’t know that he had hidden it.

Sorry about posting this link, but if you watched the video, you would understand how very special this project has been to me. I want to share some other photos too, and hopefully anything anyone wants to know how we did it. Thanks to you all so much for all we learned from this and other books, videos. I hope to do some river floats this summer and will be searching this site for to dos and to not to’s!

I talked to my son and he put the video back up.

RjC, that was a touching and interesting video. I believe I succeeded in embedding it in your OP. We love to discuss canoes, their construction and outfitting, and to see photos. So please keep us up to date with your canoe projects and trips.

RjC, that was a touching and interesting video. I believe I succeeded in embedding it in your OP. We love to discuss canoes, their construction and outfitting, and to see photos. So please keep us up to date with your canoe projects and trips.
I don’t know what that means, but thank you Glenn..

Quite cool!! Really pretty.
I don't have an account on Tiktok, so I couldn't see the comments...were there descriptions of the CNC used to create those profiles?
Did your son do those hand sketches?
How did the conversion proceed from hand sketch to G code?
Makes you wonder how all those inlays were created 100 years ago in fine furniture.

Oh, and welcome to the site.
Now let's see a trip report and pics thereof, please.

Yes my son sketched the images and converted them on computer, then took pictures of the different wood species he had and figured out where each piece needed to be cut from so the grain of the wood ended up precisely where he wanted it. He really is an artist. These were his first inlay projects. I can’t imagine how much time he had to have in them.
I don’t have an account on tick tock either, but I can view content there. It keeps showing short videos after the the intended is over, and tries to get you to download or install it (I won’t do that either), but I just close it out, or go back to text or email or browser with a little arrow at the top of the screen on iPhone to get out….You must have seen the video though. Oh well that might help someone else.

Back