• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Two new portage packs

Reaction score
I just got two new portage packs finished and ready for spring travel.
My goal was to make lighter versions of the packs I had made before and make some minor additions and corrections.
The 420 denier packcloth in this version saved two pounds over the 1000 denier Cordura packs.
The bottom and bottom sides have a layer of 500 denier Cordura.
The size is 30” high x 18” wide x 12” deep and an additional 7” at the top if the drawstring collar is extended.
Features:
LOTS of haul loops, I am always searching for something to grab onto to load and unload the canoe.
Top and side compression straps.
Removable waist belt.
3/8” foam pack with a 1/16”plastic frame sheet.
The one pack has a pocket to stow the PFD’s, map case, etc. so that there is no loose gear to hand carry or dangle from the canoe.
Now we just need some open water to test them out!

Attachments

• photo11019.jpg
    photo11019.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 17
  • photo11020.jpg
    photo11020.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 15
  • photo11021.jpg
    photo11021.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 17
  • photo11022.jpg
    photo11022.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 15
  • photo11023.jpg
    photo11023.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo11024.jpg
    photo11024.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Nice job, looks like your pretty good at sewing. Do you have a heavy duty sewing machine or just a regular everyday machine? I keep looking at the pictures and get more impressed each time. Outstanding!

Very Nice packs! The PFD pocket is an excellent idea. I also like the foam and plastic frame sheet. I have a canvas pack from alder creek canvas with a foam sheet sewn in that I like a lot to help give it some shape. Good work

barry

Excellent ! I like the idea to add the map case, to your pack ! I usually leave mine on the thwart, and it is annoying !

Jim

Thank you very much.
I had a home Elna sewing machine for many years, but now have an industrial Juki DNU 1541 S.
Full disclosure: I have been sewing since my teen years (61 now) and had a sewing business for thirty years.

Nice looking packs. Just a hobby sewer here years ago I made a pack, a backpacking tent, and even a canvas wall tent that I lived in for a year and a half. Dit all that on a treadle sewing machine. Recently was given a Sailrite machine and I’m itching to get back on some projects.
again nice packs.
Jim

Great packs. Love all those extras to stuff and dangle things from. Thanks for posting.

They used to make backpacking packs, without frames and lots of outside zipped pockets. Haven't seen one in 20 years or more.

I know this is an older post but I'm just starting to make packs so I have some questions that I'd appreciate help with. Can you share what you used for the "plastic frame sheet" and the foam and were you sourced them? And are the frame sheet and the foam sewn in or removable? What thread did you use T70/V-69?

And with a few seasons behind them, how did they work out and what, if anything, might you change if starting over.

Thanks and best regards,

Lance

Back