• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

two methods?

Reaction score
I want to ask as to, which way to use the bow and stern grab loop. I saw a outfitted canoe, that ran a 10mm, rope through and made a overhand knot inside and had it very tight, then put a hammer handle, through, and twisted it a little. THIS method was not to use as a hand loop to carry canoe, painter was tied on, I also saw same method with a stainleess steel 1 inch ID ring put on for better line control, I liked that, cause as a machinist I can make my own ring? ALL other methods had the grab loop being used, for that purpose, and the bowline knot tied on etc. Thoughts? Best to everyone, TODAY and EVERYDAY!! Ravenwolf; I guess the question is do most folks use the grab handle for what it is designed for?

Last edited:
I have no idea what you were looking at. To me the grab handle is just that. So high its not a good attachment for lining rope. Some folk attach a short painter to it to grab onto if they are in the water with their canoe grinning upright at them. Sounds like the intent was to make a better handle..perhaps something easier to grab when you are wet and cold.

Hello, I have come to understand, that some folks on web land, call the rope that is through the bow/stern ends of my new canoe a grab handle/loop. I think I will just tie my painter line on that to start out. Thanks. Ravenwolf;

Back