• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Turtle Flambeau Flowage first canoe trip.

Reaction score
Went up to the TFF this Monday to Wednesday with my 7 year old daughter, first canoe trip for both of us. The wind was crazy for the first two days and we only went a couple miles in, Wednesday was beautiful so we had a bit more of a paddle before heading out. We camped at R38 the first night. It was pretty buggy and had no view of the the sunset so we moved to R35 for the second night. Here's a few pics from the trip, they're a mix of cellphone and real camera:

Our little camping trailer, enough room for all of our car camping and paddling gear for a family of four while still getting over 20mpg @75mph behind my old camry :)

Our first campsite @ R38

Rehydrated Indian food, our vegetarian diet lends well to dehydration.

Packed up to head to the next campsite.

A sloppy pano stitch of R35, my daughter was running around so she's in the shot twice :)

We took a short sunset cruise but headed in quickly as the blood suckers found us out on the water.

Cellphone panorama from Wednesday

Nothing better than starting them off young, looks like a great memory maker for Dad and Daughter! Thanks for posting.

That was nice, I like your trailer, great way to save on gas and haul your gear. Really nice picture of father and daughter, Thanks for sharing.

You know, I was just sipping coffee and reading internet news this morning. I was about to lose faith in humanity and I thought "I need to read a good trip report". I came here and you delivered. Your report made me smile. Great job and you are a blessed man, Jeremy.

Truly enjoyed, and fine camera work !
Like the center tandem seat !
​Jim

Last edited:
Jeremy,
Great to see more dad-kid trips. I would take my kids, and nieces and nephews on dad only trips too. Now my daughter insists on camping the same way with her 3 kids!! Hang on to those memories and photos, they're more precious than gold!!

Great report, I really liked your sun set pictures, great stuff. Looks like you and your daughter had a great time. The Turtle is an under used resource for canoe trippers in my opinion, glad you and your daughter enjoy it.

Thanks for posting.

Bob.

It looks like both of you enjoyed the Turtle Flambeau. It's a great place to get started for young paddlers. Thanks for the pics and report!

Looks like a fun trip, Jeremy. I'm thinking about heading up to TF for a solo trip in August. How crowded or busy was it while you were there? Was it easy to find open camp sites?

Looks like a fun trip, Jeremy. I'm thinking about heading up to TF for a solo trip in August. How crowded or busy was it while you were there? Was it easy to find open camp sites?

I've only been the one time, and it wasn't busy. I was on the water by about 9am on a Monday morning and had no trouble finding a site. The only trouble was paddling to them through the wing :)

I've only been the one time, and it wasn't busy. I was on the water by about 9am on a Monday morning and had no trouble finding a site. The only trouble was paddling to them through the wing :)

That's good to hear. I assume you put in at Murrays landing?

If the weather will cooperate with me in mid-August, that's where I am hoping to go.

Thanks for sharing your nice trip report. Rain jacket and bug net for the head are required mosquito gear for our daughter canoe tripping up north or the bugs drive her crazy. Looks like a fun trip. Are the sites first-come first-serve or reserved in the Turtle Flambeau Flowage?

I'm hoping for a September trip here. Overnight parking at Murray's Landing?

Hmmm ... I'd have to assume so (but that's usually not a good idea), since I know there are other DNR properties that allow you to park at the boat launches if you are camping in boat-in sites. I emailed the property manager there to confirm, and I'll post here when I get a reply.

Back