• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

truck carriers?

Reaction score
Saw this handy pick-up canoe carrier. But wondering, wouldnt it be better to place the canoe upside down on it? Anyone use this?

Attachments

• photo6634.jpg
    photo6634.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0
What a nutty idea.. No red flag.. Right side up.. It would be better to have a proper truck rack.
That is a lot of force downward on a long lever arm. The overhang is so significant its illegal in some states.
See the bar bending?

The owner had a trailer hitch obviously.. It would be better to use a proper canoe trailer.

It a great idea if you own a Coleman.

Upside down would have less drag and down pressure.

I used to throw a Cove Hitch around the end and a line across the bed so the nose can't come up for local transport.

I bought a Wenonah Fisherman from a guy and he threw in a home made version of that carrier. I usually use a light weight trailer and put my fishing stuff in the truck bed. But I have used the carrier to go to some of the ponds within 5-10 miles of the house. I put it upside down and no problems.

Last edited:
Truck bed extender. Yes you can buy them pretty much anywhere. I was thinking about one but we dont have a hitch on the truck. Upside down would definitely be a better idea

Been there, done that. I liked it better in the taller configuration. You can swap ends and put the short side into the hitch and the long side up. Doing this allows you to mount the canoe upside down with the bow on the truck roof, and the stern on the extender. It worked, but, there is too much "slop" in the system. It will sway back and forth over and inch... even when you strap down the top on an X pattern yo the bumper it still moved too much for my liking.

Jason

I have one of those. It also works with the short end horizontal so you can go from roof of truck. They work very well for a jeep or a truck with a really short box but didn't really work on my Tacoma.

Back