• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Trips planned for 2017 What is everyone planning

Reaction score
Something to think about with the snow on the ground. I am planning couple week long trips one to the Dumione or Noire river in June/ July and one to Algonquin time tbdl

Still in limbo here on a couple big trips. I'm waiting on my grandson to choose where he'd like to go. He's headed to Army Basic Training a week after graduation.

Have a campsite reserved for a week in Voyageurs National Park at the end of July. Maybe a March BWCA trip and almost always a May BWCA trip. Usually let someone else chose the BWCA route cause anywhere is fine with me.

A week in WV on the upper greenbrier in May. Hoping to do my first ever trip to Algonquin or BWCA trip also this summer. An october fall week of camping and I am also going to attend WPASCA for sure.

Last edited:
Looks like we're going to need to reserve an area for the Canoe Tripping crowd at WPASCA

440 mile Yukon River Quest in June. This will be my 5th Yukon River race. Looking forward to an easy scenic drive through the Canadian Rockies, rather than flying this time.

All Adirondack plans for me...

Still trying to work out the logistics of a Rock Lake-Rock River-Cedar River through trip.
Will definitely do an Essex Chain lakes-Rock River via the Chain Drain-Cedar River through trip, I've done my homework for that one.
A return to Muck Hole (FKA Duck Hole, pre Irene), via the Prestons and Henderson Lake, with a side trip up McNaughton!
Upper Hudson, Upper Boreas rivers, mid Cedar River, water levels permitting.
Some old favorites including Fish Pond, Witchhopple Lake, Little Tupper...

All in the planning stages, hard to concentrate on paddling when I'm praying for snow and cold temps.

Hopeful for my first solo trip this coming year, and likely a trip to G'town to either get up into Faubert or just float the Kap down to Stone lake and back.

Lows Lake, NY Adks, early April again with the hot tent. Just after ice out I'll be watching the forecast and hope to get 4 days like I did this past spring, no wind and clear skies. Hopefully I'll have that big 18' Chestnut Cruiser ready for the spring trip.

Maybe a Canoetripping gathering between May-October in the ADK's

I might be at the WCHA Assembly with a display of my canvas tent.wood stove and gear, right now it looks like Wednesday and Thursday.

Back to Lows last week of October for the first week of deer season in the northern zone of NY with the hot tent.

A Canadian trip in August.

Looks like we're going to need to reserve an area for the Canoe Tripping crowd at WPASCA

No need. We have the entire campground to ourselves
The campground is not open to the public. Only for events .
Cross Canada with canoe. Doing part of the Yukon. Then day trips in Alaska Oregon BC
And wherever else we like
A month of Florida paddling in January
maybe Allagash in the fall

Though I've been paddling off & on for years, I'm a noob. 2017 is about building my fundamental skills, gear, and confidence. So I expect a bunch of 1-2 night trips around NC. I'm kind of winging it. When it seems like I should be out there longer, I'll go on longer trips.

Depending how good a job my surgeon did: 5 days in Michigan on the AuSable; possibly the WPASCR; 4 days on the Allegheny w/ the father/son group at our church; a week in Algonquin with my sons and their families; hopefullu some ADK paddle time with Robin and his merry band; and depending on water levels this upcoming year, time on the Clarion River (been years) and time on West Branch Susquehanna. I've been thinking about doing something in New Jersey (that's a hint Bruce). If anyone thinks they might like to try the Allegheny, let me know 'cuz there are lllooottts
of options.

Finally going to run the St. John. Have been on it from where the St. Francis comes in down to Ft. Kent but not the upper. Didn't do squat last year due to the never ending back problem. Hoping it will be a good trip.

dougd

In a perfect world I'd start in May, and spend a little time in my old/new found love Temagami. Several short summer trips there would fill out my '17 tripping days, saving time for a special sojourn to the ADKs with friends. An autumn trip to Missinaibe would fulfil a long held daydream of mine. We'll see how it goes.
I'm of the scatter-headed scatter gun approach to reaching goals. If you throw enough darts at a dart board, one of 'em is bound to hit the target. Am I mixing in enough metaphors?
Anyway, if all else fails and ordinary life gets in the way of these canoe trips, then it's not all that bad. Ordinary life and all it's travails can be a day to day destination in itself. Carpe Diem.

Nothing much planned at this point. Friends are getting married this summer and that precludes my usual long trip. Will be heading to SE Arizona for a couple weeks in February to do some hiking and camping and will probably do a short 2 week trip canoe somewhere in southerly Canada in the fall.

Alan

Back