• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Transponder Keys (auto)

Reaction score
I'm a two+ months in on new-vehicle-itis. After 12-years driving an '09 Tacoma, I still reach for controls that used to be there, and then realize, "oh, ya, that's over here now." Old habits.

I'm getting used to the fob, but not liking it yet. I really didn't want a key fob. I loved the simple metal key. The Taco's metal key went paddling in my pocket and outlasted three stainless paddling knifes that gathered rust like mold on bread. Now I have a fob, which goes paddling in a plastic jar inside a dry bag.

Fobs were discussed at length on CT a couple years ago. No need to repeat it all. Relevant here is that the fob can't be locked in the vehicle, but must be present to start the vehicle. This seems stupid, since you also need the metal, pop-out key. Come on, Ford, one or the other.

Does anybody use a "transponder key?" I saw them in the auto section when I was picking up some hydraulic fluid. It looks like they get programmed, somehow, and have a metal blade that is cut like a traditional key. They don't seem to have buttons for locking and unlocking or sounding alarms. I'm wondering if they can be programmed so that the vehicle can be started. And, wondering if they are waterproof, so I can go back to carrying the key in my pocket when I go paddling.

Actually, I have not read any warnings saying my fob is not waterproof, I just have a strong suspicion.

Anybody using a transponder key and can you comment on how they mix with water?

It doesn't answer your question about transponder keys, which I've never heard of, but I carry my car smart-key fob in my PFD pocket in a waterproof Aquapac case that I formerly used for my small non-smart cell phone.

Car key in PFD.jpg

Back