• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Took the Tremblay out for a cruise today

Reaction score
My first paddle of the year was today, there was a little windy creek open, so I grabbed the Tremblay. I know there is some interest in the old beasts, so I took a couple of shots.

The deck plate indicates that the canoe was built in 1975. It was stored and unused since then, with the only moderation occurring in seat placement and the getting rid of that verolite stuff that Tremblay used for a while to cover their canoes.

They are very distinctive in their shape. It's a flat bottomed canoe with very straight sides and a bit of flare. Fullness carries to the very ends. The canoe is just under 16 feet, and the deck plate says it has a 900 lb weight capacity. I had it heeled right over to the gunwale today, and it performed fairly admirably with an aggressive lean. Paddled without a lean solo, and any little bit of wind turns it into a sail.

There's still snow in the bush up here, but thank God the rivers are opening up. The lakes are getting punky, I'd say about two more weeks and everything should be open. I paddled for about an hour and a half today, it was most excellent!

Found this description of verolite on the link I provided below describing tremblay models. Mine is in the pleasure canoe section, it's a Huron. Just goes to show how marketing can really promote an inferior product. I have another Huron, probably one of the last canoes around still covered in Verolite, and it is definitely inferior to canvas. We used it on a couple of trips, and the slightest contact with a rock caused it to split open. Anyway, here is the company description. [h=2]Verolite[/h] The new Plastic Coated canvas is an Exclusive with Tremblay Canoes. The use of Verolite is the first major advance in canoe construction since painted canvas was first introduced sixty-five years ago. Verolite eliminates exterior maintenance and periodic repainting. Verolite covered canoes therefore do not take on added weight with the passing years. Verolite is more durable and scuff resistant than painted canvas and it is lighter.
Verolite is available on Chibougamua canoes 14'-17' in red, green and orange, also on Wacanichi canoes 15' and 16' in red, green or orange.
Verolite is available on all other models and sizes up to 20' in green and orange only. Verolite is not affected by heat or cold. It has been thouroughly tested for several years and is now the expressed preference of knowledgeable buyers including dealers, camp operators and outfitters. Verolite is available in Red, Green or Orange.
The red verolite is not guaranteed to keep its color.
Tremblay Canoes Ltd. does not guarantee the Verolite material against any acids, oils, greases, solvents or cleaning compounds to which the purchaser may bubject the covering; nor any discoloring which may be caused by undetected chemicals or algae present in the water.

http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/tremblay/

Last edited:
Cool, you had half the Winter off, you have Spring off then you get Summer off. I need a job like that.

Are you back to school before the year is out? I'm sure the kids miss having you around.

Is that the one you fiberglassed? We think the Tremblays would be great for moose hunting, the flare should allow for a lot of weight handling.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm back on Monday. I probably could have taken more time off, as walking is still problematic, but I have to get Spring Trip rolling so we can clear out the ports on the Marshall Trip. I'd hate to have to do that in August!

You best get that foot into proper shape toot sweet or the kids will have more fuel for teasing you for being slow on the ports.

No Title

my first w/c canoe was a 14' tremblay...that was in the 80's -- a cute little solo boat, tho i moved onto a chum when i found one...i still have the 'stern' seat hanging in the garage...the verolite was faded to an odd peach sort of colour...it responded well enough to a coat of marine enamel...some spider cracks, but hey...it was a tripping boat...

Attachments

• photo2059.jpg
    photo2059.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
Back