• Happy Scream Day! 😱

The Trek

Reaction score
I don't know how many here recieve The Trek emails, but generally quite interesting. Reports and stories about AT, CDT, and PCT. The off season often has interesting gear stories. I thought this survey was interesting, if nothing other than none used gravity filters.

I tried gravity filters for the school trips, but our water up here does not like them, they were basically useless after the second day. We usually just use the pumps with the replaceable filters, if they are taken out of the filters after every trip and rinsed, they will last for quite a while.

I tried gravity filters for the school trips, but our water up here does not like them, they were basically useless after the second day. We usually just use the pumps with the replaceable filters, if they are taken out of the filters after every trip and rinsed, they will last for quite a while.
Interesting since I found pump filters clogged quicker than gravity. Lots more on the link though.

A Wabakimi Project trip mate friend donated a Platypus gravity filter to the Project for use on trips. Almost all participants were weary of filtering water using the MSR Minworks pumps. Once we learned how to use the Platypus system it was far superior to the hand pump filters. With reasonable care and maintenance the Platypus worked out very well and was the only filter used on Project trips the last 5-6 years.

I need a new powerbank, so I'll be reading that. WRT gravity filters, I've seen a couple in use on the AT, but not by thru hikers. Aren't they kind of slow?

They are probably slower than some other systems - though tablets I've used take a while. It's never bothered me to set up gravity filter and then rest of camp, by which time you have a gallon or more of filtered water.

They are probably slower than some other systems - though tablets I've used take a while. It's never bothered me to set up gravity filter and then rest of camp, by which time you have a gallon or more of filtered water.
Not all shelters have a good water source. Often you're watering up at a brook crossing, and then immediately moving on. So not surprising gravity filters aren't used much.

Didnt want this thread to focus on any one gear item. Just have found The Trek to have interesting articles, including opinions and experience with gear to thoughts on mental preparations for long treks.

Very good article, peoples power needs are changing, I like the sawyer squeeze, just enough time to eat a little something.

Back