• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

"The Saddle" by Perception

I had the Perception Saddle in two whitewater canoes, a Mad River ME and a Whitesell Piranha. Fit me well. Loved it. More than thigh straps. It also adds storage and flotation and rigidity to the hull. The main downside is weight. It's heavier than a foam saddle/pedestal and straps. Whether it fits your knee spread and other things depends on your leg size.

I have one that I took out of MR ME hull. Still don't know what to do with it. If anyone wants it and is in the NH area it's yours for free. It may end up on the side of the road for free at some point!

dougd
Doug:

Good morning. Do you still have this saddle?

Thanks, EdG

Doug:

Good morning. Do you still have this saddle?

Thanks, EdG

EdG, I'd first like to welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

DougD hasn't been active on the site for a while, so you have a better chance of reaching him by sending him a private message (called "conversations" by our Xenforo software) because a private conversation will also automatically generate an email to him. You can begin a private conversation either by clicking the envelope icon on the top right of any page or by clicking on DougD's avatar, and then following the prompts.

In case Doug doesn't respond, I've still got one -- in Maryland outside DC.
Thank you. Per the site admin Doug has not been active for a while so I would be interested in yours. I live in SC.

I had one for years in a Mad River ME and loved it which stayed in the boat when I sold it. Now have another boat and would like to add it.

Ed Gallagher
Retired USN
Fort Mill SC

I have another perception saddle which I just took out of a lightly used Esquif Vertige. The Perception saddle is in perfect condition with all original hardware plus the mounting foam block (it is still attached to the saddle) with adjustable foot pegs (which work and in are perfect condition). The watertight hatch opens and closes easily. The foam block was never glued into the bottom of the canoe. Located in Gaithersburg, MD. If interested send me a PM through the site.View attachment 132574View attachment 132575View attachment 132576
I'll send you a private message through the forum.

EdG, I'd first like to welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

DougD hasn't been active on the site for a while, so you have a better chance of reaching him by sending him a private message (called "conversations" by our Xenforo software) because a private conversation will also automatically generate an email to him. You can begin a private conversation either by clicking the envelope icon on the top right of any page or by clicking on DougD's avatar, and then following the prompts.
Roger. Thank you.

Greetings! Older thread but not too old, I’ve been running that saddle for many years and really like it. I recently found a used Mohawk solo 12 and would like another perception saddle to put in it so my boats feel the same. Does anyone still have one they’d be willing to sell an old paddler? Thanks!!

Greetings! Older thread but not too old, I’ve been running that saddle for many years and really like it. I recently found a used Mohawk solo 12 and would like another perception saddle to put in it so my boats feel the same. Does anyone still have one they’d be willing to sell an old paddler? Thanks!!

I hope you get a response, Jerry, but in the meantime welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Hey Jerry, it have a Perception Saddle I bought last year for $30 on a whim. I've decided not to use it. If you want it for what I paid for it it's yours. I live in Wake Forest which is north of Raleigh NC

That transaction was quicker than what I used to see at . . . well . . . never mind . . . just show us some pictures of the installation. Young folks here need more education about historical gear such as the Perception Saddle.

That transaction was quicker than what I used to see at . . . well . . . never mind . . . just show us some pictures of the installation. Young folks here need more education about historical gear such as the Perception Saddle.
Ha! Kids these days. They see me go by in my canoe on the river and ask if I have any furs to trade….

Earlier in this thread I posted a photo of a Perception saddle mounted in a Blue Hole Sunburst II whitewater solo canoe. Here are a couple more photos of one mounted in a Mohawk XL13 solo whitewater boat. Between the three of them I think they demonstrate the installation requirements fairly well.

The Perception saddle is held in place under two thwarts. The placement of these thwarts needs to be fairly precise and the distance between them is dictated by the length of the saddle itself. So mounting a Perception saddle in something other than a new canoe usually requires repositioning/replacing thwarts, or adding additional thwarts to those that already exist.

The front of the saddle is secured by long machine screws that go through the front thwart and then through holes drilled into the top of the front of the saddle. These are secured with nuts that are placed via the Beckman hatch at the front of the saddle. It is wise to use nylon washers between the thwart and the saddle and to seal around the holes with silicone caulk to prevent water leaking into the saddle via the bolt holes.

The rear of the saddle is secured under the rear thwart and does not require drilling holes. It is secured by an aluminum inverted "U" bracket that is secured to the underside of the thwart. In the photos of the Mohawk canoe the bracket is held by machine screws penetrating the entire thickness of the thwart, but it is possible to secure the bracket to the underside of an aluminum thwart using blind pop rivets, or to the underside of a wooden thwart using stainless screws. The bracket fits into a recess on the sides of the rear of the saddle.

It is virtually always necessary to block up the saddle on a rectangle of some suitable foam. Ethafoam was most commonly used back in the day when these saddles were much more common. The height of the roto-molded saddle is insufficient to reach from the hull floor to the underside of the thwarts of any canoe deep enough to be useful for whitewater. The exact thickness of the foam block is determined by the depth of the canoe at the position of saddle placement. It is best to contour the under-surface of the foam block to match that of the floor of the hull. The foam was most commonly bonded to the underside of the saddle but not to the hull floor in the canoes that I have owned that had these saddles installed.

Royalex undergoes a significant amount of thermal expansion and contraction. So Royalex boats become a bit deeper in hot weather and less deep in cold weather, or when subjected to cold water. The foam block allows this change in depth to be more easily accommodated. It was/is quite common for tracked foot pegs, like the Yakima foot pegs shown, to be mounted through the foam block.

Attachments

• Ocoee Repair Mohawk XL13 016.jpg
    Ocoee Repair Mohawk XL13 016.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG00045-20110217-1320.jpg
    IMG00045-20110217-1320.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back