• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

The most you've ever paid for a canoe (buy or build)

The real question is how much did you pay per use. I bought my Trillium a couple of years ago and she has been out paddling over 300 times and many miles. I honestly tried to forget the cost but know it was over 3K. I think I better head out for a paddle to bring the average cost per paddle down.
It's really hard to make that algorithm work when you are close to 70 and new boats are upwards of $4000!

I have owned many canoes and still own more than my share. I had to think about it but over the past 40 years I have only purchased six canoes new. Of these I still have three. But I believe the most I have paid for a canoe was $1700 for a used, long discontinued canoe. Nearly all of the canoes I have bought have been purchased used, some in need of extensive repair.

I paid$1600 for a new kevlar Mad River explorer with wood trim. That was in 1995 or 96. If I recall the shipping was an additional $100, but if I bought $100 worth of accessories the shipping was free. I bought paddles and load bars. I think that I got a pretty good deal. MSRP for the canoe was @2000

“I'm pleading the 5th on this one, after my last purchase. That being said, it is still a lot cheaper hobby than motor sports that include purchase price, gasoline, a trailer, insurance, licensing and upkeep”

I believe that to be true as well. Whether that is casual paddlers, happy forever with their occasional use big box Sun Dolphin SOT, or avid aficionados with a long history of past boats and current keeper fleets, it is still cheap when compared to various motor sports.

And compared to other activities; what does a set of beginner golf clubs cost? What does a higher end set of clubs cost? New balls, greens fees, clubhouse beverages, cart rentals if you are an old guy. . . . .

Biking, hunting, photography, scuba, skydiving, skiing, sailboats. Anyone who gets serious about a hobbie - let’s not talk about more sedentary coin or car collecting - is going to spend some money.

Jeeze, what does a day at the park cost a baseball or football fan? Ticket costs + $5 for a hotdog + $9 for a beer + $40 to park in a stadium lot + $10 for a souvenir foam finger. Sure, bring the whole family. I could buy another nice canoe for that kinda cash.

All told, over 40 years, including boats bought and sold, we don’t have much of invested. I just added up the cost of the current family fleet; between the trades, freebies, $100 fixer-uppers and other used bargain boats - less than 4K on the racks.

I believe that paddling and backpacking still reign supreme as cheap get-aways. I would once have included car-camping, but the cost for a night’s State Park campsite has become ludicrous in some places. At that price I should at least get maid service, a neck massage and a free continental breakfast buffet.

Pricing low wage twenty-year-olds and young families out of a beginner camping experience does not bode well for our future.

It's really hard to make that algorithm work when you are close to 70 and new boats are upwards of $4000!

M Clemens
Since I am human and intern none rational but excellent at rationalizing I think I can make that algorthm work. First I am in my mid 40's and so any money spent now takes away from retirement, mortgage reduction etc. You are 70 and likely retired with home paid off and instead of having 30-40 years of returns on that investment you are likly not to live that long therfore cost per use is much smaller. In addition there is the value you find in using an excellent boat you love in the remaing years you have on earth. For an analogy if one has a 10 day vacation and want to travel to say Italy there is value to renting a car due to limited time. If you have 30 days to vacation you can for go the rental car and enjoy a slower pace. There is a saying something like it is not the years in your life but the life in your years. If you spend 4K on a canoe that is now light enough for a 70 year old person to enjoy. If you regularly paddle said canoe you will likely increase both your life in years and your life experience in those years and that seems pretty priceless. When compared to compounding interest I am thinking you might end up on the better end per paddle then me.

About to pick up a Northstar Firebird in Starlite with wood trim at Mountainman. A new high price for me at $3400. Last two boats bought were under $1000 each, used. I'll be selling one so I rationalize that the new boat will really be under $3000. At 74 I really wanted to go with a lighter solo but I do like the looks of wood.

100% agree - if they don’t get to experience it, they won’t care about preserving it
Paddling is still super cheap. I could out fit out a trip from Craigslist for very cheap. I spent most of my paddling and still paddle with plenty of folks who enjoy paddling in cheap aluminum and plastic canoes and kayaks. At the end of the trip our rated enjoyment of our trip probably are equal. I find enjoyment in paddling a good canoe. Most of my paddling experiences I didn't have the skills to appreciate a quality designed canoe. In fact excluding the weight of a canoe most "paddlers" don't really know how to use and appreciate a well designed canoe. Weight is only noticed by most when portaging. So sure most kids in their teens and twenties won't be paddling 4K canoes and nor should most folks be paddling 4K canoes.

M Clemens
Since I am human and intern none rational but excellent at rationalizing I think I can make that algorthm work. First I am in my mid 40's and so any money spent now takes away from retirement, mortgage reduction etc. You are 70 and likely retired with home paid off and instead of having 30-40 years of returns on that investment you are likly not to live that long therfore cost per use is much smaller. In addition there is the value you find in using an excellent boat you love in the remaing years you have on earth. For an analogy if one has a 10 day vacation and want to travel to say Italy there is value to renting a car due to limited time. If you have 30 days to vacation you can for go the rental car and enjoy a slower pace. There is a saying something like it is not the years in your life but the life in your years. If you spend 4K on a canoe that is now light enough for a 70 year old person to enjoy. If you regularly paddle said canoe you will likely increase both your life in years and your life experience in those years and that seems pretty priceless. When compared to compounding interest I am thinking you might end up on the better end per paddle then me.
What an inspiring philosophy sir! The truth is, I would worry about silly things like scratching a new $4K boat. The most I have paid for a new boat was $2500 in 2018, then $2000 last year. I thoroughly enjoy the other three canoes that were all under $1000 used, and under 40 pounds.

About to pick up a Northstar Firebird in Starlite with wood trim at Mountainman. A new high price for me at $3400. Last two boats bought were under $1000 each, used. I'll be selling one so I rationalize that the new boat will really be under $3000. At 74 I really wanted to go with a lighter solo but I do like the looks of wood.
I did not know you were older than me Fred!

Back in the early 80's I used to pass a canoe shop (Bert Decker Canoe) in Schentady, NY twice a week as a truck driver. There was a nice green Old Town Camper with wood trim in the window calling my name every time I passed by. I managed to save up $800 and my first portage with that canoe was from Bert's shop to my truck parked safley down the road. I got a lot of funny comments from my customers when I opened the trailer door and they saw the new canoe sitting among thier product.
Not long after, I spent $700 on my first wood canvas Chestnut canoe from Schuyler Thomson in Norfolk, Ct.
Those two canoes made a good pair as I explored the ADK's with my sons and friends,

View attachment 129916
Funny thing about values. That old Blazer would be in the $40,000-50,000 range in original shape. Great story

Back