• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

The Joy of (Self-Imposed) Canoe Trip Suffering

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"There’s a story circulating about a guy who accidentally zapped his manly bits with bear spray. . . . [which] does nicely [to] open the topic of self-imposed suffering and canoe trips."

This is your opportunity to confess suffering, trials and tribulations you've endured on canoe trips, which only later, perhaps, you interpreted as a form of joy, mental clarity or spiritual connection.

A writer whose adventurous antics I have followed for years once articulated “the fun scale”. Having spent a significant part of my life as a climber and alpinist in some of the worlds great mountain ranges, I can attest to the spirit of the scale.

My trip report https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/the-whitney-c-adks-william-c-whitney-wilderness.127931/ relates a little of the sort of suffering that correlates to the fun scale on a canoe trip.

Last edited:
A writer whose adventurous antics I have followed for years once articulated “the fun scale”. Having spent a significant part of my life as a climber and alpinist in some of the worlds great mountain ranges, I can attest to the spirit of the scale.

Yup - the “Three Types of Fun” definitely applies to paddling/tripping. My wife often asks me why I do these trips, and I’ve never really had a good answer other than its “fun”.

I call a good tough trip "recreational deprivation." That does not, nor should not, encompass macing your own man parts.
I did do five days through the St. Regis in June wearing a kilt and no bug spray one time, so I can't say I haven't done dumb s$%t.
I would paddle out into the middle of ponds to get away from the mosquitoes.
I also got kicked out of a very fancy restaurant in Saranac Lake for smelling too bad on that trip. Laurels all around!

Every time I complete the steepest part of the Turtle to Clamshell portage, and am resting by that big boulder at the top of the trail, I swear I will never do it again, that I'll go the other way (Long Pond to Nellie)... and by the time I'm down the hill at Clamshell, I've forgotten all about it.

It happens with every discomfort on trips... the bugs, thirst, forgotten spoon, broken portage yoke, broken reel, lost fish, burned finger, wet feet, broken pack strap, punching a hole in a new carbon fiber canoe from banging it against a guardrail I-beam, forgetting to seam seal the ridgeline on your new hammock tarp before a frog-drowning-rainy trip, ripping a hole in a neoprene boot, or your 12 year old daughter beating you 20+ games of UNO in a row while you sat under a tarp with no fire during an all-day rain... as soon as the sun comes out, the wind picks up and blows the bugs away, repairs are made, or the view clears on the mountaintop, you remember only the joy.

Daughter still razzes me about the UNO. Wife doesn't know about the hole.

The rest of it doesn't matter.

Every time I complete the steepest part of the Turtle to Clamshell portage, and am resting by that big boulder at the top of the trail, I swear I will never do it again, that I'll go the other way (Long Pond to Nellie)... and by the time I'm down the hill at Clamshell, I've forgotten all about it.

It happens with every discomfort on trips... the bugs, thirst, forgotten spoon, broken portage yoke, broken reel, lost fish, burned finger, wet feet, broken pack strap, punching a hole in a new carbon fiber canoe from banging it against a guardrail I-beam, forgetting to seam seal the ridgeline on your new hammock tarp before a frog-drowning-rainy trip, ripping a hole in a neoprene boot, or your 12 year old daughter beating you 20+ games of UNO in a row while you sat under a tarp with no fire during an all-day rain... as soon as the sun comes out, the wind picks up and blows the bugs away, repairs are made, or the view clears on the mountaintop, you remember only the joy.

Daughter still razzes me about the UNO. Wife doesn't know about the hole.

The rest of it doesn't matter.
So well said, Seeker!

As I read these posts I started to wonder if "suffering" is a state of mind. i.e. one person's suffering might be another's discomfort, and yet another's inconvenience. Not trying to minimise someone's suffering. Just saying it may be relative to past experiences. Also, the length of the "trial" might determine the line between inconvenience and suffering. I myself would like to avoid what I consider suffering. That said, I occasionally challenge my self in an activity for the joy of overcoming and succeeding. Someone participating with me might feel like they are suffering. Come to think of it, might be why most of my "challenges" are solo. All this is to say, substitute challenge for suffering and I can relate to the joy that comes afterward. Dave

" I occasionally challenge myself in an activity for the joy of overcoming and succeeding."

Absolutely.. your comment characterizes much of my past outdoor pursuits. For me it's more 'fun' to set a challenge whose outcome is not certain just to see if I can do it.

Then there is this favorite quote while in the thick of things by a long-time friend and fellow masochist: "I'm looking forward to looking back on this...".

I've always done mostly solo trips and never thought twice about challenging myself on trips, both in terms of the physical effort required and with the weather. Of course I was younger then, but there was no cell phone service or SOS devices back then - just a rough itinerary and a promise to call (from a pay phone) when I was out. Both my gear and clothing back then are nowhere near as good as I have now. Being older (70), it takes more mental effort to challenge myself with trips. I am easily content with paddling into a location, base camping, doing day trips and don't think twice about spending some time relaxing around camp. As always, the primary factor driving me to do more rigorous trips is that there are places I want to visit/revisit that require more physical effort. Being retired, I do have more time and flexibility for those trips, but I am much more hesitant and cautious (maybe overcautious) about doing them. It's primarily a psychological challenge. I feel physically able, I have the gear, clothing, experience and know-how. It seems that now more mental effort is needed to take that first step outside of my comfort zone...

Back