• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

The Eureka Parawing VCS tarp and bug shelter: An end to bug stress when camping.

G

In another thread about how bug jackets and dealing with bugs, I mentioned that one of my favourite bits of gear is my bug tarp: the Parawing VCS by Eureka. Here's a photo of my wife cooling off on a really humid day when the mosquitoes and blackflies were out in force.

Parawing6.jpg

It’s good quality rip-stop nylon tarp with a separate no-see-um screen that clips under the tarp, creating a large area in which one can cook, eat, and relax during the worst of bug season. Some people even use it instead of a tent. Probably no other bit of gear that we’ve bought has more greatly improved the quality of our time in the bush than this tarp system, especially when it’s hot and humid and you’re dying to get out of those long sleeves and long pants to cool off.

For any who might be interested, here’s a link to a YouTube video I made wherein I demonstrate how to set it up and it’s various pros and cons: http://youtu.be/poLB_a1Qci8. You can skip the first minute of the video if you wish.

Hope this helps,
- Martin

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and the informative video, Martin. Looks like they now make a smaller version of your bug shelter, the VCS13. The specs I've seen show that it is about 2 pounds lighter. Seriously considering picking it up as a solo shelter.

Where can I get one of these!!!!

ScottB, if you do a Google search on "Eureka Parawing VCS", it should return results which would include locals vendors of Eureka products in your area. Failing that, you could get in touch with North Bay Canoe & Kayak, but they are located in North Bay, Ontario, so you'd have to pay international shipping costs. Here's their link and prices for this tarp and mesh, if you can't find a closer vendor: http://www.nbcanoe.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_58.

Hope this helps,
- Martin

Hey Martin--
I did a thorough search online...manufacturers site, outlet store (not too far from me in Binghamton, NY)...it looks like that is a Canadian item...listed on the Eureka Canada site but not the US site.

Looks like a good excuse to head north!
Scott

Hey Martin--
I did a thorough search online...manufacturers site, outlet store (not too far from me in Binghamton, NY)...it looks like that is a Canadian item...listed on the Eureka Canada site but not the US site.

Looks like a good excuse to head north!
Scott

Hmm, thanks for that info Scott. I had no idea. I guess it makes sense that there'd be a bigger market for such a shelter here in Canada given that we have a pretty lengthy black fly and mosquito season.

- Martin

Just picked up one of these this afternoon (the smaller VCS 13) at the Outdoor Adventure Show here in Toronto. Show special was $50 for the tarp and $80 for the 7'x'7' mesh bug-room attachment if any other local folks are interested in the product. Total listed weighted for both parts is 4 pounds, 8 oz. Came with plenty of line and a set of both plastic and metal tent pegs. Looking forward to using it to convince the Mrs. that bug season isn't so bad. Thanks Martin for your YouTube setup video - the included instructions were relatively limited and your visual review sealed the deal for me.

That's a good deal you got there Murat V. I think you'll like it. It can not only improve your enjoyment out there, but it will permit you to camp in comfort at times of the year when you might otherwise not bother going because of the bugs. Your wife will surely appreciate it.

Cheers,
- Martin

Off topic Martin .... but this is the first time I have ever had anyone from my location show up on a board I frequent ..... lol

Brian

No, he's lives in my town.

Brian a 'Guest' will show up living in whatever town a member looking at the post lives in.

Back