• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

The Canoe

Came here to post this. Glad others already found it. Goh Iromoto has made a few shorts that capture nature beautifully. i believe he did a tourism video for Temagami. I did notice the title was The Canoe Trailer, does this mean there is a longer film in the works? Please say yes.

If it is produced/owned by the NFB of Canada, it could be difficult to view in the States. Many such NFB films are available for viewing online, but many others are not.

Yes, it's artistic, and effective in bringing through some sense of beauty that's linked with canoeing. IIRC his films have won cinematography awards, for Grey Owl (on Temagami) and We Belong To It.

Maybe along similar lines, the art that goes into filming northern landscapes was brought out very well in The Revenant, which deals with suffering to a great extent but also films boreal forests and landscapes in a new way and maybe redefines things with new ways of filming the landscape. There is no canoeing in it but the sense of northern wilderness comes though strongly. Difficult to do from the accounts written about making the film (again IIRC there was some mention of this at the Oscars with Leonardo looking a bit haggard on stage after slogging through all that cold water) and well worth seeing again... I'm just waiting for enough time to pass so that's it's not too recognizable or familiar.

I did notice the title was The Canoe Trailer, does this mean there is a longer film in the works? Please say yes.

The following quote is from Canoeroots Magazine:

'Goh Iromoto’s filmmaking paired with James Raffan’s tremendously scripted words of reflection make this short film a natural fit for the Reel Paddling Film Festival.'

Back