• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

Tell me about your favorite paddle

I use only straight paddles because I palm roll a lot for in water recovery's and bents won't do that. I modify the grips to a "pear" shape,making them more rounded-taking off the edge corners. Expressos are made out of black willow with laminated pieces on the blade and plastic edge guards. never heard of black willow before-is it the creek willow I'm familiar with? Sure is lite and strong.
Turtle

I finally have some time to jump in here, had a chance to take some photos this morning. I am a fan of the straight shaft, call me old fashioned if you want I don't care. I have tried the bent ones (not recently however, and carbon might be nice) just could never make them do what I can with my straight shaft. Anyway here are some photos of my favorites.

The two on the left are maple the tall one on the right is ash and the first paddle I bought in 1970. The one on the left is an exceptional piece of Birdseye maple all of these has a marvelous flex to them. Very easy on the arms, one of the features I like about straight shafts.

The next two are from Old Town Canoe Company and they too are old. They are not hardwood and they are stiff, no flex to the shaft.

I also have traced about four other beautiful paddles that I came across over the years with the idea of drawings to sell along with the canoe plans, but haven't had time yet. Maybe next winter.
Jim

Very beautiful paddles Jim! I love the pattern in the wood wood on the first maple. Must have been a lot of work for whoever made it.
Do you have any thoughts about the grips on the paddles. Which do you prefer? The softwood grips, especially the left one looks a bit sharp and clumsy at the sides. Is it a problem? And which grip do you prefer of the maple ones?
How is the balance in the paddles? With such small grips and beaver tail blades it looks like they could be a bit blade heavy.

Jonas, truth be told I have never used the two softwood paddles. I bought them because they were in great shape and had Old Town Decals still intact.
Yes I imagine that Birdseye Maple paddle was a challange to carve. It is a very nice paddle too. The three hardwood paddles balance right where blade starts to swell from the shaft. The one on the right is just a bit lower. My favorite grip is the one on the right with the broad flat area. I sometimes push on that with my palm. It was made by Shaw And Tenny in Maine.
Jim

My favorite by far is a paddle made of mahogany and walnut strips with a white stringer of white ash down the middle. I made it from a blank that was glued up for me by a wood worker friend. It is a classic pattern with a little bit of extra thickness in the blade for running rivers. The handle is asymmetrical. It is varnished on the blade and rubbed linseed oil on the shaft and handle on the top. I have lost it in upsets many times but always managed to retrieve it in an eddy or another boat downstream. I use it as a cutting board in camp, and as a way to pass things around in a boat. I have used many other commercial paddles, some of which are lighter, but I always go back to the mahogany and walnut paddle.

I like Boatman's paddles, great and beautiful for the flats.

Last edited:
After more than 50 years of paddling with wooden paddles of many kinds, I have ditched them all in favor of ZRE carbon paddles. For me now, function completely trumps form in paddles. Function most importantly includes light overall weight, effortless swing weight, thin blade for surgical slicing, maximum propulsive force per square inch, all within a fairly small footprint.

After this half a century of personal paddle evolution, including designing my own wooden paddle made by Brad Gillespie, my perfect paddle has all culminated in the ZRE Power Surge bent paddle. I have narrowed all my paddle usage to a 48.5" ZRE Power Surge bent, which I use 90% of the time, and a 57" ZRE Z with symmetrical blade faces, which I use mainly in rivers and very windy/wavy lake conditions. I was very fortunate to get a symmetrical carbon grip for my straight ZRE.

IMGP0031.JPG

I've been using bent shafts, from several makers, in preference to straight shafts for lake and other flatwater paddling for 35 years. And I'm a kneeler more than 90% of the time on lakes and almost 100% of the time on rivers. I see no benefits to a straight paddle for paddling straight ahead on flatwater, and straight ahead strokes are what I do 99.99% of the time on flatwater. I'll go to a straight paddle on whitewater, twisty rivers, when I want to palm roll a lot for freestyle play, or when I want leverage in pushy or windcocking wind/wave situations on lakes.

Bents are far more efficient and can be much shorter than straights on flatwater, because the most effective stroke technique is to push at a downward angle with the grip arm while doing a stomach crunch. Short, light, bent paddles are much easier to flip over the gunwales when switch paddling, especially at high stroke rates. They are also more comfortable for me when cruising at my modest speeds with single-sided correction strokes. While the bent can't do as powerful a J correction as a straight paddle, practiced technique easily compensates for that. And who the heck would want to do a tiresome J stroke, anyway, when they can do combinations of C strokes, pitch strokes and, best of all, Canadian strokes.

The ZRE Power Surge -- designed by Bob Zaveral, Serge Corbin and Olympic Gold Medalist Greg Barton -- has the optimal paddle shape and curvature for me. It's an asymmetrical blade. The power face is lipped and has shallow scooped areas on each side of finely foiled spine. This provides maximal power per square inch of blade face.

powersurge.gif

As for wooden paddles, laminated paddles are clearly superior to solids in my experience. They can be made with softer, lighter woods and yet be stronger than solid wood and often club-like paddles of ash, cherry or some other hard wood.

I also don't care for long-bladed animal tail paddles because, unless they are made with extremely narrow quill blades or with dangerously thin blades, they are too heavy overall and, more damningly, too blade heavy for repetitive air recoveries. They are better used when kept submerged with palm-rolled in-water returns, but I'm not going to paddle long distances with that technique.

The wooden paddles I like best have a Honey Island blade shape, about 8.5" x 19", and fairly large, hand-filling grips with thumb indentations on each of the four corners. I also like the throat below the grip to be long and wide enough to grip laterally. That's how I designed my Gillespie Free, but I don't seem to have a picture of that paddle handy. Maybe I'll take and post some.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for animal tails that are artistry in wood. Yes I do use this curly maple occasionally for Canadian Style but its also a nice ornament. The folks at the WCHA auction always get me with a paddle.

OTOH like Glenn I trip with a Sugar Island shape. laminated or a bent shaft carbon fiber ZRE

How do those carbon fibre and other composite shafts do when pried off the gunwales? I'm thinking about actually buying a new straight shaft this year, want something light but hardy.

How do those carbon fibre and other composite shafts do when pried off the gunwales? I'm thinking about actually buying a new straight shaft this year, want something light but hardy.

No.. at least the bent ZRE of mine snapped about 2 km south of Mattice on the Missinaibi. I had two pieces of paddle till arrival at home..all the way to Moosonee and back on the train.

Mine was a bent.. not reinforced for the nice gunwale pry I did.. Cant vouch for the straight though.. It could have been a defect in my paddle.. But for prying I would be more comfortable with a wooden paddle.
Come to think,, I snapped a wooden Tremolo paddle too that way.. Gunwale prys have terrific force.

So, it seems most of you like laminated paddles. Is there a reason you prefer that? The pros I see is that a laminated is easier to balance and you get strength where it's needed. But I belive you lose a bit of the flex.

My favorite laminated paddles have thin blades so they slice through the water cleanly. That thinness also gives them some flex, which makes them a little easier on the joints.

Some responses to various comments.

YC, that paddle on your window wall looks like the offspring of a beaver tail and half a Greenland kayak paddle. I've never seen a flattened grip that long down the shaft. I agree that it's fun to collect beautiful wooden paddles if you can afford to do so. I have two in that category but I never use either of them. I don't know if the OP's focus is paddles for "favorite" actual use or for favorite aesthetics, but I'm interpreting it to be the former.

Memaquay, I sometimes pry my carbon paddles repeatedly but lightly off my wooden gunwales when using a stroke I'd call some concoction of the J, Canadian and Northwoods strokes. I'm not sure I'd do it with aluminum gunwales, and I certainly wouldn't do Iron Man pries for Hulk-ish course corrections. Also, my two ZRE's both have the flex shaft option, which makes them more flexible longitudinally than the standard ZRE shafts and probably a little more compressible laterally without damage.

Jonas, laminated paddle blades don't necessarily have to have laminated shafts. You can still have a flexible solid wooden shaft. But even laminated shafts can flex, depending somewhat on the type of wood and direction of lamination. If you like blade flex, thinly laminated blades can do that, as Philtrum says.

I like that paddle partly because of the shape. The flattened long grip is very remininiscent of the Maine Guide Paddle shape. Its called a variable grip and allows the paddle to be held horizontally and paddled at the same time with the Northwoods Stroke. Regional stroke mostly. No one outside of Maine seems to do it.

For all you guys that love there bent shaft paddle, do yourself a favour, and try a Levass paddle. they are way better than any ZRE. I've use both extensively and really think that Levass are superior paddles. I have no affiliation to the company what so ever. just love his paddles!!

Last edited:
Solo canoeing is a very individual pursuit. Solo canoeing styles more so. Preference in solo canoes more so. Preference in paddles more so yet. You seldom get a consensus and that's one of the reasons I like solo canoeing. A great place to express freedom of individuality.
Turtle

You are so right, turtle. And I think this post really shows just that. But it still is helpful, hearing about those small details people really like or don't like about their paddles. Like the grip modifications lots of people seem to do. It's those details I like to hear, that's where I need more than just my own experience. It's too easy to only do things which works for myself and miss out on others preferences.

There are two reasons better builders laminate wooden paddles. The first is to minimize warping. The second is to minimize small imperfections in wood from becoming a stress riser and breaking the paddle. Tom MacKenzie encouraged Craig Quimby to use four piece construction on a simpler, less expensive series of sticks. Seamed down the shaft across the blade and at 90 dg to that with grains balanced, they were a wonderful price pointed stick.

Lots of great opinions and interesting favourites posted so far. I think modifying the grip is a great conclusion to come out this thread. So much focus on different blade designs to wow their consumers that a lot of manufacturers have very standardized grips in their production line. The grip is really the most personal part of the paddle. Frustration with the limited commercial grips was the main compulsion to get me into the paddle making thing. But back when I started carving, I was taught to work on the blade first and then the grip last. Some of the designs ended up being disappointing. Now I tinker with grip designs first, because they are easier to screw up and render a paddle less than desirable.

Jonas, before you start cutting up your ash boards, maybe you could use some scraps and first come up with a comfortable grip design - with the realization that no single design will work for every scenario.

Just like Canotrouge, I made a paddle with Tetes-de-Boule (Attikamekw) inspired grip and blade design in Yellow Birch.

Tete-de-Boule-Paddle.jpg

The grip is very easy to shape and I found it surprisingly comfortable, personally. In your original post you talked about woodworking efficiency as one of the goals of your course. This grip design would certainly be simple to carve and replicate instead of the standard pear grips that need much more shaping with a rasp. The notches I put on the underside were decorative at the time, but I later found them very useful to tie tarp lines around if I use the paddle as a support. The lines would not slip down the shaft as sometimes happens with odd grip shapes.

Another favourite is this elongated style inspired from an antique Maine guide paddle. It has a distinct ridge line down the center so the flattened grip has diamond shaped cross section.

Cherry+Guide+018_rs.jpg

Also found this design from a circa 1839 paddle quite comfortable too. I modified mine to have a smoother roll top grip and wider flattened section to suite my own hands.

Here's the original...

MHS%2BVoyageur%2BPaddle2.jpg

and my version in cherry...

MHS+Voyageur+Cherry12_rs.jpg

One of the reasons, I like the flatter-style grips is for the various grip positions especially when kneeling low in the hull. This is not a common paddling method anymore and certainly not for sit and switch if that is the paddler's focus. You are quite right that on some of the larger beavertail bladed paddles (especially shorter ones), the balance is very blade heavy. But with these tapering grips, a larger blade can be nicely offset with these grip designs for for better balance. In years gone by, paddling was more utilitarian and the canoeist might need to sit, kneel, or stand and a longer paddle with these tapered grips could be used for all three positions. Nowadays the focus seems to be for efficiency in speed, mostly for seated paddlers so the laminated, bent shafts / marathon designs reign supreme.

Let us know how your woodworking course and ultimate paddle design turns out.

No Title

Thanks Murat! Your advice is always very helpful! I have planned to make elongated grips, as you say for balance and to adjust for kneeling position. The notches for tarp lines is an amazing idea which I will certainly play around with. Is this why you have notches on many of your elongated grips? I've been wondering if they served a purpose or were just decorations.

Right now I'm playing around with an elongated grip with about 3 hand positions, one on top and 2 slightly angled out on an elongated grip. I found that if it's angled out a bit it feels much better in the wrist when doing J-strokes.
I attach the paddle as it looks right now. I will still work much more on the blade though. And try to add the notches to the grip. It's not a super easy grip to carve, but I don't think it will take me much extra time to make. I'm trying to avoid any sharp concave turns in the curves as that's what I found takes most time to carve.

Attachments

• photo1667.jpg
    photo1667.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Right now I'm playing around with an elongated grip with about 3 hand positions, one on top and 2 slightly angled out on an elongated grip. I found that if it's angled out a bit it feels much better in the wrist when doing J-strokes.

I've found that a highly radiused grip provides the curvature you like for J-strokes. This picture shows what a certain paddle looked like before I fixed a number of its problems. It's pretty comfortable, but even better is something just a bit rounder, like my Grey Owl freestyle paddle.

Attachments

• photo1648.jpg
    photo1648.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back