• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Swift's new Cruiser solo, 16'8", for larger paddlers

FYI, the Swift Cruiser is David Yosts latest iteration of the DYSpecial/Shockwave which are his designs. Racing boats turned into tripping boats are not a new phenomenon as the Minnesota II, Sawyer Cruiser, any Jenson inspired canoe, and numerous solo canoes that are heavily used in the BWCAW by outfitters were once primarily racing hulls. In fact, many of these boats were downriver racing hulls. I have tripped in many of them and currently own 2 Sawyer Cruisers, two Shockwaves and a DYSpecial, a Northwind Solo, Yellowstone Solo, and for extended tripping, a BobSpecial, and a Prospector 16 for whitewater.
What do I think about the Cruiser? If you are thinking about a Magic, Advantage, Voyager, Encounter, even Swift's Shearwater
or any fast tripper, this is in good company. A solo boat like the aforementioned will require smaller packs not only to fit between the gunnels, but to balance out the load. They are go fast hulls and if you are inclined to put miles behind you there are no better boats than these. I like to tour, and some times putz, some times fish, sometimes I just want to go. . .Fast. This boat does that and has a little more rocker to make it more maneuverable, the tucked area in front of the cockpit allows for better reach for the catch of the stroke and a more linear path of the stroke. For those who like to kneel in rough water (like I do), the seat lowers to bring the center of gravity down and the footbrace/pegs, gunnels and seat provide plenty of points of contact for control similar to a good kayak. I'm not sold on the integrated gunnels either but that innovation is fueled by the ever lighter canoe desired by frail old men and young, high-tech junkies. My Northwind Solo is a graphite and kevlar ultra-light for my frail years when I can no longer hoist a 70# tripper.
Speaking of kayaks, those of you who use double blades, how many serious kayakers do you know who use low angle paddles? There is a reason why sea kayakers and whitewater kayakers use high angle paddles in short shaft lengths and it isn't to keep water off their laps. It's because high angle style is more efficient, better leveraged, and easier on the body. Recreational paddle dippers use low angle paddles. Low angle blades are rarely placed deep enough in the water to prevent ventilation which reduces efficiency significantly. Using a shaft length over 250 cm is like using a 48" softball bat. They are both 3rd class levers which rely on inertia to do their work--additional length does not increase mechanical advantage. I've tried double blades and each time I wonder why anyone would use them. Maybe it is just poor technique or not learning to use the other hand or side of the boat. Take a paddling class, I did.
Rant over.

wow just wow.. What blatant stereotyping. I taught sea kayaking for many years. Hardly a lily dipper.. I use a low angle stroke. Its more natural for me especially with a Greenland blade.

I am glad I am falling more in love with cameras..

A@ yc You won't see recreational kayakers using a greenland paddle nor canoers--too technical. From all I've read a low angle used with the gp is for relaxed, casual paddling (the very definition of paddle dipping). While a 45 degree to near vertical catch and stroke is for touring and sprinting. Again, supporting my point whilst being agast, what shaft length is your gp, anywhere near 250cm? I didn't think so. Wait, I get it, you use lily dipping as a derogatory term. I don't. Recreational paddlers find enjoyment and relaxation in paddle dipping. But as a tool to move efficiently, there are much better options than a long shaft low angle paddle.

WOW. And I was just looking for a small, prospector for my daughter. She has outgrown her 10' Tupelo (fun little canoe though). Now I am reading the latest posts and watched the video on the new Swift 14' Prospector. I like it! My daughter is a sitter and likes double blades. I am a kneeler and love single blades, so I could take it for a spin here and there as well. I think this is a canoe I'd buy, even without trying it first. Now I just have to search the washing machine trap for some extra change...:)

Back