• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Swift's new Cruiser solo, 16'8", for larger paddlers

Steve, I am down to one solitary bicycle, oh woe is me. And it is one fugly CroMo thing. But this Rocky Mountain hybrid is getting me there. I have it kitted out to tour with racks and panniers front and rear, fenders and even a bell. The bell isn't so much for people to get outta the way, more so they'll know where I am if I've fallen down and I can't get up. Ha ha. I have photos of my own (slo-mo) speed steed on my phone but can't figure out how to download them. No worry. Anyway I'm tempted to buy a couple old single speed city wrecks to fix them up (leaving the rust for "patina" sake) and spin them round the urban trails here where I live.
And I long for a real Amsterdam canal cruiser like the ones you linked. Beauties!
A fixie is a fixed single speed bicycle, based on the track bikes you might have seen in Olympic track bike events. Seen those? Those high banked oval indoor tracks with coaches holding up their rider who is sitting on their bike waiting for the start...and then they're off. The single rear cog is fixed. ie It doesn't spin freely, so if you don't pedal the cog, the rear wheel, and the bike stops in unison. To slow down you slow down your cadence (pedal slower) etc. Anyway bike couriers became enamoured with them years ago. They sure stop and go real quick (depending on your chosen cog= gear ratio= travel inches = I won't blah blah bore you...). They have become de rigueur with hip urban types. Cool. https://www.myfixcycles.com/blogs/be...or-city-riding My daughter has joined that fold. Although her bike has the ingenious rear wheel that flip flops allowing her to choose between coaster single speed on one side and a true fixie on the other. More cool. Those hip urban kids just might be alright. But when she was bicycle shopping I did the concerned Dad thing and advised her to do the right thing and buy a classic Dutch step through. But would she listen to her Dad? No. Just for that I'm never gonna borrow her bike. Almost never. Hardly ever.

Last edited:
I'm not going to rate the hull, as I haven't paddled it !
But the first thing, that came to my mind was how similar The shear design was to Alan Gage's last two trippers !

Too much emphasis on these new gaud awful ugly pieces of composite crape being paddled with the kayak paddle. I'd like to see someone make a "must make" eddy in that ugly piece of synthetic turd. Or better yet, put a dead moose in it, lol! A couple of ducks and a shotgun would probably turn that thing arse over tea kettle.

Too much emphasis on these new gaud awful ugly pieces of composite crape being paddled with the kayak paddle. I'd like to see someone make a "must make" eddy in that ugly piece of synthetic turd. Or better yet, put a dead moose in it, lol! A couple of ducks and a shotgun would probably turn that thing arse over tea kettle.

Hey mr Chief Smoking Igloo.. ( wish I were closer!) but its a single blade beauty.. The ducks add to stability. RIght now I would offer some 200 dead squirrels. Beauty.. well snakes are really pretty!

Come on, man, don't hold back... tell us how you really feel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYl-41cU0T0 check out the seat on the 2018 swift procpector 14 at less than 3 minutes into this video. It's a really nice looking well designed comfortable looking seat. It is integrated to fit a certain boat and is adjustable for two heights which isn't that appealing to me. But the seat itself, if it could be mounted like a standard wood frame seat would.

Yes that is exactly how I feel too!! 2 canoes one with a full moose and one with 7 days worth of camp!! That is 2 weeks ago!! Try that in you 18.6 cruiser ultimate tripping canoe....

Attachments

• photo10568.jpg
    photo10568.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 1
Iowangle... Bill Swift's comments on how DY built greater comfort into the Prospector were also interesting. I have no idea how that translates into better quality time spent for me personally... solution - try 'em all.

He also talks about how the hull takes waves better with the DY modifications... probably a feature that doesn't become relevant except the < 1% of the time when a storm blows up.. Have you seen Joe Robinet's new vid where the Swift pack canoe gets paddled through some insane winds and waves in APP... I would have waited it out... but they made it OK, even when the wind was snapping green trees in half later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYl-41cU0T0 check out the seat on the 2018 swift procpector 14 at less than 3 minutes into this video. It's a really nice looking well designed comfortable looking seat. It is integrated to fit a certain boat and is adjustable for two heights which isn't that appealing to me. But the seat itself, if it could be mounted like a standard wood frame seat would.
It is indeed a nice looking seat. One would have to try it in both positions...the contoured sliding seats in my two Swift solos are both meant for sitting and I'm a kneeler. Seems like canoes set up for kneeling are getting rare.

Now if they just make the seat capable of sliding fore/aft and add some mahogany details it might be as cool and functional as a Blackhawk canoes from the 1980's. ;)

​​​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...AgNEAI&biw=1024&bih=728#imgrc=H5IXfSTHXixzBM:

Steve, I am down to one solitary bicycle, oh woe is me. And it is one fugly CroMo thing. But this Rocky Mountain hybrid is getting me there. I have it kitted out to tour with racks and panniers front and rear, fenders and even a bell. The bell isn't so much for people to get outta the way, more so they'll know where I am if I've fallen down and I can't get up. Ha ha. I have photos of my own (slo-mo) speed steed on my phone but can't figure out how to download them. No worry. Anyway I'm tempted to buy a couple old single speed city wrecks to fix them up (leaving the rust for "patina" sake) and spin them round the urban trails here where I live.
And I long for a real Amsterdam canal cruiser like the ones you linked. Beauties!
A fixie is a fixed single speed bicycle, based on the track bikes you might have seen in Olympic track bike events. Seen those? Those high banked oval indoor tracks with coaches holding up their rider who is sitting on their bike waiting for the start...and then they're off. The single rear cog is fixed. ie It doesn't spin freely, so if you don't pedal the cog, the rear wheel, and the bike stops in unison. To slow down you slow down your cadence (pedal slower) etc. Anyway bike couriers became enamoured with them years ago. They sure stop and go real quick (depending on your chosen cog= gear ratio= travel inches = I won't blah blah bore you...). They have become de rigueur with hip urban types. Cool. https://www.myfixcycles.com/blogs/be...or-city-riding My daughter has joined that fold. Although her bike has the ingenious rear wheel that flip flops allowing her to choose between coaster single speed on one side and a true fixie on the other. More cool. Those hip urban kids just might be alright. But when she was bicycle shopping I did the concerned Dad thing and advised her to do the right thing and buy a classic Dutch step through. But would she listen to her Dad? No. Just for that I'm never gonna borrow her bike. Almost never. Hardly ever.

Thanks for the explanation, Odyssey. I've seen video of some talented people ding acrobatic moves on those fixies. I definitely see the attraction - but I'm afraid I'm past trying that stuff. My Amsterdam is the Classic steel frame version with rack - found on CL at a bargain price. I love it.

That Prospector 14 is looking more and more to me like an ideal all-around solo. Others might protest that claim, but I consider that new seat system another reason to like it. I already suspected that it would do well as a "pocket poler", but the ability to even remove the seat quickly would enhance that idea. Being a couple inches wider than the "ideal" solo max might also help. I know....not many people would consider it practical to pole a solo of any kind - but I'm finding that to be a plus. Wish there was a dealer near me so I could try one out.

Looks to me like the boat was designed mostly for those who would gravitate to the double blade. Why else would they pinch the gun'ls in so far? It doesn't really help with a single blade. The hull max is still out there. A little tumblehome is a good thing, but a vertical shaft (more or less) is still limited - not by the gun'l. Double blade though.....looks great for that.

It's still a significant benefit when single blading sit and switch. Yes, you still need to clear the maximum beam of the hull, but the paddle is swung across in an arc and the narrower gunwales lets the blade pass by and as the arc continues it will clear the hull as well. Wider gunwales means the blade has to be swung wider before dropping down and it's certainly a noticeable difference with slower switches and many more "clunks" when you don't quite clear.

Alan

Thanks for clearing that up for me Alan! I don't do S&S much, so it didn't cross my mind. Racing inspired evolution does lead to some strange looking shapes. ;)

DY already did a double blade screamer in Placid's Shadow

From the clunk clunk club. I can attest to the difficulty in hit and switch over wide gunwales. In the Idyssey bow station with its high side and flared shape I am a master of that annoying clang. I never get the paddle arc up high enough

I have more problem hitting the gunnel when switching to a deeper boat even though in a wider boat I'll grab a longer paddle. Plastic paddle blades can put serious dents in spruce gunnels.

Yep, clunk clunk can be irritating esp if it's coming from somebody else and they're not aware that they're creating a disturbance... those ultralite high tech designs seem to be designed to emphasize clunking, like an acoustic guitar. The solution might be to wrap the paddle with leather to deaden the sound.

Here's Hoop clunking and paddling although this isn't unpleasant. Cedar and canvas canoes actually sound good being clunked, sort of natural, and sounding the way canoeing should sound on the water, soft and muted. Not something industrial-grade, fresh out of the factory. I'm not going to post a vid with high tech clunking and grinding all the way through it, since it's not nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lYHA7OKuI

Integrated gunwales do not clunk at all.. But if you knuckle them they hurt. Its not the material its the paddler and are they tall enough and are their arms long enough. The canoe I was referring to had aluminum gunwales..

Are we done with bashing?

Are we done with bashing?

You must be referring to Mem's review upthread, so... noooo... the bashing isn't over by any means. I welcome such skepticism since it forms the foundation for developing new knowledge. It's how science moves forward. And science is the most powerful tool we have today, right here, right now. Yes, science works.The more four-letter words, the merrier... let 'er rip. It goes without saying, this sort of thing, knowledge, is valuable, and getting to the truth begins with the ability to say no. Bring on the negative reviews, these are critical... reviews not blinded by self-absorbed embellishments brought on by corporate profiteering. We move forward boldly, with great anticipation for the adventure that lies ahead... let's hear the gripes. Gripes are good, gripes fix problems, gripes work toward making the world a better place. Thank you all for posting your gripes. The world is made better by your cursing and swearing, and the future is made much brighter by it.

<...pant...pant...pant...>

;)

Yes. let's keep criticizing designs for not doing what they weren't designed to do (or vice-versa). :D It's fun. ;) And yes....I'm guilty. :eek:

One thing that is apparent to me, is that what we admit to disliking kind of shows who we are as paddlers, trippers; what are our priorities, etc. It makes us all more real.

Back