• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Swift Prospector 16 Combi

Reaction score
Just ordered a Swift Prospector 16' Combi in Expedition Kevlar. Really looking forward to getting it into the backcountry of the Adirondacks. Any tips, experience or comments on this configuration are appreciated. I went with the Ruby as shown, but without the Champagne bottom, which I hadn't realized added another 5-6 pounds.

I had seen Swift's video on this year's Combis, and have been looking for the Werner extendable paddle from 240-260, but they seem hard to find...anyone use one and like it? hate it?

Thanks for your insight.

Attachments

• ExpKevlar_Ruby.jpg
    ExpKevlar_Ruby.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 36
MDB has a Swift Pack 12 in that same color with the champagne bottom. She loves that boat, I’m sure you’ll enjoy yours as well.
How long before you get it?

Just ordered a Swift Prospector 16' Combi in Expedition Kevlar. Really looking forward to getting it into the backcountry of the Adirondacks. Any tips, experience or comments on this configuration are appreciated. I went with the Ruby as shown, but without the Champagne bottom, which I hadn't realized added another 5-6 pounds.

I had seen Swift's video on this year's Combis, and have been looking for the Werner extendable paddle from 240-260, but they seem hard to find...anyone use one and like it? hate it?

Thanks for your insight.
Can't wait to see the new ride, congrats!

Year old thread, but wonder if OP got his canoe and his first impressions.

How’d you decide between the prospector and the keewaydin?

Thinking about trading in my NC Prospector 16 and pulling the trigger on a Keewaydin 16 Combi. Bought the prospector with the idea of the symmetrical hull giving option to soloing by sitting backwards in the bow seat. It never quite worked out and I’ve been in a constant battle ballasting it ever since. Leaning towards the Keewaydin with the idea I’ll never paddle it backwards and might as well enjoy the performance gains of the asymmetrical hull.

Last edited:
I test paddled both they Prospector 14 and Keewaydin 15 - both pack config - at Paddlefest in Old Forge and again at Racquet River Outfitters. If I had better balance and maybe if I had started canoeing before my 50's, I would have gone for the Keewaydin but the lower initial stability led me to prefer a Prospector. That a used Prospector at a great price in excellent - truely like new - condition became available sealed the deal. I really like it. No regrets. I know it does not perform as well - is not as efficient - as the keewaydin and many other narrower canoes, but don't care.

I test paddled both they Prospector 14 and Keewaydin 15 - both pack config - at Paddlefest in Old Forge and again at Racquet River Outfitters. If I had better balance and maybe if I had started canoeing before my 50's, I would have gone for the Keewaydin but the lower initial stability led me to prefer a Prospector. That a used Prospector at a great price in excellent - truely like new - condition became available sealed the deal. I really like it. No regrets. I know it does not perform as well - is not as efficient - as the keewaydin and many other narrower canoes, but don't care.

Do you happen to know approximate waterline measurements for different weights? Swift lists ideal paddler weight between 150 and 400 pounds, with an "industry standard" capacity of 600 pounds.

I am concerned that I will cause too much draft in the 14, but the 15 is so much wider that I don't know if it would work as well for soloing. I am 6'3", and 285lbs. Usually trip with about 65-85 pounds of total extra weight.

I love the looks of the 14, and am trying to decide between it, the 15, or the Northstar Polaris for 2024.

I talked to the Northstar guys at Canoecopia, and they suggest the Polaris over the Phoenix for my weight. Swift said "it'll handle it" of the 14, and Hornbeck seemed very confident that their 14 Classic was more than up to the task. They are all very different hull shapes and I am finding it difficult to believe that they would have a similar waterline/performance spectrum at such a high weight.

The Swifts definitely look the best built for big guys; the seats are huge and much higher off the bilge than the Northstars. Hornbeck is a different system altogether.

I do love the Swift pack seat. Never found another one so comfortable.

I'm 6-1, 210, and probably can have 80+ pounds of gear, and still well out if the water.

too much draft in the 14, but the 15 is so much wider that
The 14' Prospector is significantly wider than the 15' Keewaydin. Not sure what you mean. The both could hold a lot more weight than me and my gear.

The 14' Prospector is significantly wider than the 15' Keewaydin. Not sure what you mean. The both could hold a lot more weight than me and my gear.
Sorry, I was meaning the Prospector 15. I see now that you referenced the Keewaydin 15 in your other post.

Thank you for the insights!

I would have gone for the Keewaydin but the lower initial stability led me to prefer a Prospector.

Is it that noticeable? Guess I should really take each for a test paddle first. I do a lot of fishing from the canoe and often sit with an anchor. Would suck if we feel like we are gonna dump every time someone takes a cast or anchor line goes taut.

According to Swift’s website they are having a Demo Day at Rutabaga this May. Guess that’s going to be my opportunity try them.

Last edited:
Is it that noticeable? Guess I should really take each for a test paddle first. I do a lot of fishing from the canoe and often sit with an anchor. Would suck if we feel like we are gonna dump every time someone takes a cast or anchor line goes taut.

According to Swift’s website they are having a Demo Day at Rutabaga on thus May. Guess that’s going to be my opportunity try them.
I noticed the difference clearly. But I'm an intermediate paddler on a good day, and I prize initial stability. Do try both. Don't know where you are but as noted, I tried both at Paddlefest in Old Forge NY, and by chance at Racquet River Outfitters in Tupper Lake.

Back