• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

To buy or not to buy—Swift Prospector 14 expedition Kevlar

I have a Swift Prospector 14 In the pack config. I am 6'5" 260lb. I mostly paddle with double blade. I paddle lakes and class 1+ rivers. It is super stable and manuverable. But with that manuverablity means its tracking with a single blade means it needs lots of correction. it is doable but the double blade is so good that it is hard to justify. I use a 250 cm 22 oz carbon paddle. I keep up or blow past anything on the water with the double blade. On a lake in white caps I can turn or paddle at any angle to the waves and not worry, when it is just me or with my 100 lb dog or with 140 lb of gear for tripping it is just as stable. I have not taken into anything above class 1+ . I dont think rocks would put a hole in it but the do leave good scratch marks that dont show in a t-formex boat. The pack seat is so comfortable I have paddled several times for 4 hours with out getting uncomfortable. Swifts multi-position seat seems good idea if you like a traditional seat and want to sit or kneel. Very curious what you decide / decided. Interesting you found the NS Phoenix tippy. It was on my list but never was able to test paddle.
Do you have any photos showing the waterline when loaded? We are close to the same total weight and I am concerned that I will find the the Swift P14 will have too much draft when burdened.

Lots of shots Some with and without gear. Hope it helps. I had a oldtown next before and I was way too big for that.

This video is on a three day trip. maybe 70 lbs of gear
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1A53qWtHC6GCG;EB09B9F7-21EA-45F1-85A5-E3B1AA302797

1679164566724.png

Thes photos are from a 4 day trip. I carried all the gear for myself and wife as she was in a small kayak. Zero issues with stability or speed
You can see the full size barrel behing me. I would guess it is a about 100 lbs of gear plus me at 260lbs
1679164705453.png
1679164957990.png

No gear. just me does not look a lot worse
1679164903864.png

No gear just day paddle
1679165028286.png

Thank you for posting those! Do you do any river trips with it? Has durability ever been a question for you?

Thank you for posting those! Do you do any river trips with it? Has durability ever been a question for you?
Just class 1 to 1+. I am sure it would do ok bumping off the rocks in shallow spots. But have not bounced it anything big and don't plan to. It eddy turns ok but its stability is so good it is hard to hold the lean. It wants to pop back up. I think it is just my skill in a solo that is the biggest part of that. I am use to river tripping 17' oldtown trippers and discoveries. Having said that I get in and out of Eddie's with no isssues. I have only had it one summer. Maybe more rivers this summer

Last edited:
I have both the Nova 15' prospector and the esquif. Like them both. Nova Craft has higher gunwales than the Esquif. both weigh almost the same, as rubbaboo stated.

I run them both solo.
Can you compare and contrast the two boats? How do they feel same/differently when paddling on flatwater and on moving water, rivers, some whitewater. Which is tougher? Which do you prefer?

Relatively new to paddling a canoe with 3-4 years experience on wide high volume western US rivers (Colorado, Green, Gunnison). purchased a 16’ Nova Craft Prospector in tough stuff expedition weight. Like it but its a lousy solo boat—too wide, catches too much wind, not manueverable. Recently purchased a Nova Craft Supernova and don’t like it—too tippy, no initial stability, a bit wide, a bit heavy. Paddled my friends Northstar Phoenix and its a bit tippy and a bit narrow but the lighter weight than the Super Nova is appreciated. I am drawn to the Swift line of boats. And I think the Prospector 14’ in the expedition Kevlar would be a good boat for me to solo. Am I wrong?

63 years old, 6’, 200 lbs. and somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate level paddler with lots to learn. I don’t really like lake paddling, preferring moving water up to class II. Still learning to maneuver properly and need a wider repertoire of paddling stokes. Like to trip a bit on my local rivers—high desert canyons with occaisional riffles. Would like to explore more rivers in US and Canada. Need lighter weight boat as I’m getting older and weaker, and if i ever get the chance, for portages on longer backcountry canoe routes. I prefer to sit but I usually kneel when approaching/in a rapid. I also prefer to use a canoe paddle but I do have a 280 cm bending branches kayak paddle for power/speed or in windy conditions. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi
I'm almost the same age, same weight and of the same canoeing experience. Except out east vs your being out west.
I've also had mostly big prospectors, Esquif and Mad River. Recently acquired a Swift Mattawa....Dream boat...for lakes, and I seem to have gifted it to my daughter..;-)
So now pretty sold on the Phoenix but also pulled towards a Swift Prospector 14 or 15. I like the idea of versatility...Only one seat? No problem, I have no qualms about drilling through thwarts to install more!! 😂 Looking forward to reading this thread...
And finding out what you finally decided 8 months later!!!???

Relatively new to paddling a canoe with 3-4 years experience on wide high volume western US rivers (Colorado, Green, Gunnison). purchased a 16’ Nova Craft Prospector in tough stuff expedition weight. Like it but its a lousy solo boat—too wide, catches too much wind, not manueverable. Recently purchased a Nova Craft Supernova and don’t like it—too tippy, no initial stability, a bit wide, a bit heavy. Paddled my friends Northstar Phoenix and its a bit tippy and a bit narrow but the lighter weight than the Super Nova is appreciated. I am drawn to the Swift line of boats. And I think the Prospector 14’ in the expedition Kevlar would be a good boat for me to solo. Am I wrong?

63 years old, 6’, 200 lbs. and somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate level paddler with lots to learn. I don’t really like lake paddling, preferring moving water up to class II. Still learning to maneuver properly and need a wider repertoire of paddling stokes. Like to trip a bit on my local rivers—high desert canyons with occaisional riffles. Would like to explore more rivers in US and Canada. Need lighter weight boat as I’m getting older and weaker, and if i ever get the chance, for portages on longer backcountry canoe routes. I prefer to sit but I usually kneel when approaching/in a rapid. I also prefer to use a canoe paddle but I do have a 280 cm bending branches kayak paddle for power/speed or in windy conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

Lots of shots Some with and without gear. Hope it helps. I had a oldtown next before and I was way too big for that.

This video is on a three day trip. maybe 70 lbs of gear
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1A53qWtHC6GCG;EB09B9F7-21EA-45F1-85A5-E3B1AA302797

View attachment 134989

Thes photos are from a 4 day trip. I carried all the gear for myself and wife as she was in a small kayak. Zero issues with stability or speed
You can see the full size barrel behing me. I would guess it is a about 100 lbs of gear plus me at 260lbs
View attachment 134990
View attachment 134992

No gear. just me does not look a lot worse
View attachment 134991

No gear just day paddle
View attachment 134993
Great photos!
So I didn't get which layup that is...?
I've never paddled double blade in a "pack" seat... Do you feel it would lose some stability sitting or kneeling on a traditional seat?
Torn between swift 14solo swift 15 tandem, Northstar phoenix, maybe Hemlock Srt....

I recently did a flatwater paddle on the Green River, Utah, in a North Wind solo. Thought the experience might be relevant to your decision making.
I paddled it as a pack canoe, just so you know.
The North Wind worked very well, except for one issue. If I'd stop paddling, to take a photo or eat something, the canoe would tend to turn sideways, to the wind and current, and getting it pointed back downstream was harder than it should have been. Sometimes frustratingly so. I thought the differential rocker might have had something to do with that, but I don't really know. The Phoenix and Prospector shouldn't have that problem.
I ended up with the groover and half of another person's water in my canoe, along with the group's table. I could never have fit everything in a Phoenix or Prospector 14. Maybe you'll never find yourself in that situation but it might be something to consider.

I recently did a flatwater paddle on the Green River, Utah, in a North Wind solo. Thought the experience might be relevant to your decision making.
I paddled it as a pack canoe, just so you know.
The North Wind worked very well, except for one issue. If I'd stop paddling, to take a photo or eat something, the canoe would tend to turn sideways, to the wind and current, and getting it pointed back downstream was harder than it should have been. Sometimes frustratingly so. I thought the differential rocker might have had something to do with that, but I don't really know. The Phoenix and Prospector shouldn't have that problem.
I ended up with the groover and half of another person's water in my canoe, along with the group's table. I could never have fit everything in a Phoenix or Prospector 14. Maybe you'll never find yourself in that situation but it might be something to consider.
Probably a trim issue. Too intimate with the groover!

I had an interesting coversation with Clipper Canoes the other day. A caveat: I have a Nova Craft Prospector 15 set up for solo paddling in hand if i decide to go that way—my local retailer ordered the boat for me in the tuffstuff extreme layup with a removable sculpted yoke as I requested. However NC or the retailer forgot my request for skid plates front and rear. I paddle shallow cobble rivers all summer and wanted the protection. im in the final stages of deciding whether or not to purchase the NC and in so doing I decided to call Clipper and ask about their Prospector 14. As i pointed out previously I’m not a fan of tippy narrow canoes. But the NC at 36” wide is really wide and not easily paddled solo in the middle. The Clipper is 6” narrower and a foot shorter with less stated rocker. Curious about the stability and handling characteristics of the two boats compared on moving water and up to class 2 rapids, as well as the durability considerations of the Kevlar duraflex vs the Innegra basalt.

oh, back to the Clipper discussion—clipper would build me a 14 prospector in Innegra basalt with duraflex ribs and ash gunnels. They are interested in new directions. What do you guys think of that?

In my humble opinion..; the NC will be more nimble in WW , and is better paddled heeled over on the flats..never owned either of these 2 boats and materials but surely tuff stuff expedition is tougher than the composites..
I think if I had the choice I would ask Clipper for a 15 ft , I feel 14 is a little small as I would put a second seat for the occasional partner. I would ask for 33 wide, 13 deep with 2.5 and 1.5 of rocker.withbskid plates. And basalt innegra at ~45 lbs. that would be my dream boat... O wait! Isn't that a Northstar Northwind or a Curtis Companion???
GOOD Thead btw!

As I said in the paddle wrapping thread I’ve got more Dynel then I ever expect to need so if someone wants some just let me know. It is left over from laying a Dynel over plywood deck on an 80 year old 32’ cutter. So could be odd shaped but that’s no problem for narrow skid plates.
Jim

I had a oldtown next before and I was way too big for that.

I am surprised you are to big for a Next. I have one as well that I use for fishing. We are the same height but my wife feeds me a bit better :oops:
Granted I only have a mid sized tackle box & a handful of rods with me but I find it to be exceptionally comfortable with ample room.

What I have noticed with the swift tandem boats is that they are all swallow and light in weight. Also I am not sold on their curved seat because I often need to shift my weight depending on the side of the boat I am paddling or to compensate when paddling in tandem. A curved seat would force you to sit in one position. Overall Swift boats are good for portaging, speed and wind but they make a poorer tripping canoe that is required when loaded with gear and subject to rougher waters both in lakes, rivers and rapids. I think the Nova Craft 15' Prospector would make for a good solo tripping boat when loaded because it is deeper and higher at the ends with some rocker which is true to the original Chestnut Prospector.

What I have noticed with the swift tandem boats is that they are all swallow and light in weight. Also I am not sold on their curved seat because I often need to shift my weight depending on the side of the boat I am paddling or to compensate when paddling in tandem. A curved seat would force you to sit in one position. Overall Swift boats are good for portaging, speed and wind but they make a poorer tripping canoe that is required when loaded with gear and subject to rougher waters both in lakes, rivers and rapids. I think the Nova Craft 15' Prospector would make for a good solo tripping boat when loaded because it is deeper and higher at the ends with some rocker which is true to the original Chestnut Prospector.
I find that my Swift curved seats actually allow me to shift my weight around with MORE ease than a flat seat when solo. The curve allows for a straight-down sit, even as the boat heels over with the shift. No sitting on an inclined plane with a kink in your back. Tandem milage may vary.

What I have noticed with the swift tandem boats is that they are all swallow and light in weight.

Nerb, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

P.S. I assume you meant shallow. You have 48 hours to edit a post on this site.

I find that my Swift curved seats actually allow me to shift my weight around with MORE ease than a flat seat when solo. The curve allows for a straight-down sit, even as the boat heels over with the shift. No sitting on an inclined plane with a kink in your back. Tandem milage may vary.
I used several Swift Kippawa's for teaching for years, and one of the reasons was because of that curved seat- with smaller paddlers especially it allowed them to lean the boat slightly for better reach and maneuverability while helping to eliminate that "tipping over " feeling because the paddler stayed fairly level when they shifted closer to the gunnels, and allowed them to stay centered over the wetted portion for improved balance.

Back