• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Svea 123

Reaction score
Back in the ‘70s, Kathleen and I were backpackers. Our stove at the time was a Svea 123. It was light weight, compact, dependable and easy to use.

When we became canoeists in the ‘80s, we switched to a Coleman Peak 1, which was larger, and could more easily support larger pots. That original Peak 1 also had a simmer lever, which allowed fine tuning of the heat. We eventually purchased a backup Coleman Peak 1, which did not have a simmer lever. But it was only a backup, in case the primary stove malfunctioned.

Last February, When we were preparing for our two-week canoe trip in the Northwest Territories, I was testing my stoves to see if they still worked. The original Peak 1 did not. An internet search revealed that Coleman no longer made a Peak 1. I didn’t want to change systems. I don’t welcome change, and still wanted to use white gas. So I got out my old trusty Svea 123 to see if it could be used as our backup stove.

Alas, it no longer built pressure. And yes, I have oiled the cap, to no avail. It still did not build pressure. Ultimately, when the pandemic hit, the Northwest Territories closed its borders to non-residents. Our canoe trip has been postponed to next summer.

It would be great if I could resurrect the Svea 123 before then. Does anyone have any suggestions?

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/parts-for-svea-123.31733/, or, https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/109-8016526-optimus-spare-parts-kit-for-svea

i dont know how active this site is these days, but there’s a wealth of information here.

I bought a Svea 123 back in 1967 I think, as well as the Sigg Tourist Cooker windscreen/pot support/cookpot set. It has always been my favorite stove! I’ve suffered through some pretty cold backpacking and tripping days, and the roar of the Svea burner was always a comforting sound; it meant hot food and drinks were on the way!

Last edited:
Click image for larger version  Name:	6T4CMGXPSIyRKtKDkqeUVQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	419.7 KB ID:	117778 Click image for larger version  Name:	Z2uvcmtPQb6FoivMFoBUvw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	453.7 KB ID:	117777 Click image for larger version  Name:	Z2uvcmtPQb6FoivMFoBUvw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	453.7 KB ID:	117777 Click image for larger version  Name:	6T4CMGXPSIyRKtKDkqeUVQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	419.7 KB ID:	117778

here's my set. Back in college I made the dedicated pouring cap for my Sigg aluminum fuel bottle. A piece of copper tubing epoxied into a hole drilled in one side with a vent hole on the other. Just hold your index finger over the vent hole until the spout is lined up with the stove's fuel cap, and then lift the finger- controlled pour! I even used it to pre-heat the vaporizing tube by pouring a small amount into the recessed ring at the base of the vaporizing tube. Once lit, it heats the tube and vaporizes the gas for burning. By the time the priming flame dies down, you can light the burner with a match or Bic lighter.

Last edited:
Patrick,

We also have that Sigg Tourist Cooker set with wind screen. Your pictures bring back very fond memories that tug at the old heart strings!

foxyotter,

The Svea does not simmer. It makes a fairly loud, but very comforting sound.

I have a newer one (2000-ish). It's a great little stove, a bit heavy compared to what is available today, it's as loud as all getout, and lighting it can be "exciting". I purchased a gasket kit for it last year from Quiet Stove but alas it seems they are currently out of stock. They may be available elsewhere, though.

First of all, I'm assuming you still remember how to use it (e.g. preheating with fuel, alcohol, paste)!. If you're preheating properly, you can lose pressure with the filler cap or the jet. The filler cap has two gaskets, one for the cap itself, and one for the spring-loaded relief valve. Do you know if one is leaking? Also, the valve needs to be closed during the initial preheat--I always preheated, and as the preheat wanes, open up the valve a bit so I don't have to light the stove separately. Prior to even lighting, I'd open up the valve a couple of times to make sure the orifice is clean (I mostly used the one that had the cleaning needle on the jet--earlier versions (with the down-tilted valve) required you to use the small pick to clean the orifice). There's also a hard gasket around the valve which can go out, allowing gas to escape towards the adjustment key.

I used the Mini-pump for years, and love it, which pressurizes the tank so you can get priming fuel from the jet and letting it trickle down into the preheating cup.

Strange. Just yesterday I got out some of my old stoves, getting ready for a Leanto Rescue trip this weekend to build a new publicly accessible leanto shelter in the adirondacks. The weather promises to be cold and rainy, possible some light snow, so I need to move on from my summer use propane/butane small stoves to a liquid fuel one for reliability in the cold. Alcohol stoves do not work well in the cold either so I bypassed my trangias. Next out came my very old Otimus 8R, that has not seen flame in probably 20 years. I have an accessory pump for it, but it did not pump any air out. I took it apart and blew it out so the pump works now. The stove fired up as I remember it, but the tank does not stay in place on one side and I decided not to take it. Next in line was my MSR whisperlite. The pump kept coming apart and I couldn't get the stove easily working with a proper flame. Next was my Coleman Peak 1. I bought this at the time BSA was using these almost exclusively. With fresh fuel it seemed to work just fine, so it is going with me for the cold rainy weekend to get some work done.

I haven't fired up mine in decades, but have fond memories of using it. It is a simple design and I don' think much can go wrong so I bet you can get it going again.

PaddlingPitt while the Peak 1 isn't made anymore (just like 40 year old cars) there are still plenty of parts available. I just rebuilt one as a gift for someone, and gave another away last year. They're still one of the toughest stoves around. I personally use a pocket II that predates the Peak I by about 10-20 years as my go to winter stove.

Looks like Coleman has replaced the Peak 1 with a Guide model. Looks identical. My Peak 1 never failed me. It's around 20+ years old now and I've retired it.
I no longer want to fill and pump/pressurize a stove. But it was a good stove. Good to know there are parts still available. I am "loaning" it to my daughter next season. My wife said "Why don't you just sell it, there's bound to be lots of people wanting this stove?!" Um no. It's a keeper.

Thanks, everyone, for all your good advice and encouragement. I did take the stove apart last February to thoroughly clean its components. That didn’t help. I have also watched several videos, and will try to order some new parts. I don’t really have a lot of diy skills, but I should give it a try as a winter project.

Mason, I have pre-heated the heck out of the stove, but no gas comes out of the jet. I think there's a leak somewhere, probably one or both of the two gaskets in the filler cap . One video I saw said that a special tool was required to access the pressure release gasket. This discouraged me. But it’s time to see what I can do.

I posted this thread hoping that someone would say, “That happened to me too, and this was how I easily fixed it in two minutes. All you need to do is turn around once, snap your fingers twice, and repeat these magical words three times: Svea 123. Svea 123. Svea 123.”

I might try that first.

Mason, I have pre-heated the heck out of the stove, but no gas comes out of the jet. I think there's a leak somewhere, probably one or both of the two gaskets in the filler cap . One video I saw said that a special tool was required to access the pressure release gasket. This discouraged me. But it’s time to see what I can do.

So you've preheated it, and no gas comes out of the jet. After the preheat, is there pressure escaping when you open the cap? It should hiss a bit. If it does, then you need to look at the jet potentially being clogged. If not, then you have a leak--new gaskets, or maybe even flipping them should fix it. Gaskets don't last forever, especially 40+ year olds that have probably been compressed.

IIRC didn't those Sveas come with a jet port cleaning tool? Or am I thinking about another stove?

The first gen had a separate pick. The second had a needle associated with the valve--turn the valve and a needle pops up, cleaning the orifice.

So you've preheated it, and no gas comes out of the jet. After the preheat, is there pressure escaping when you open the cap? It should hiss a bit. If it does, then you need to look at the jet potentially being clogged. If not, then you have a leak--new gaskets, or maybe even flipping them should fix it. Gaskets don't last forever, especially 40+ year olds that have probably been compressed.

Excellent observation, Mason. I don’t remember if there was a hissing when I opened the cap. I’ll have to give it a try.

My Svea came with a pick to clean the jet. It broke when I used it in February, but I fashioned a new pick with a bristle from a wire brush. I’m thinking the jet is clean, but maybe not.

I haven't used mine since the one-way valve for the mini pump got jammed and created a nice flaming jet out the filler cap. The thing was engulfed in flames before Andy kicked the whole mess into a puddle.

Back