• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Svea 123

I was a disciple of Colin Fletcher back in the day, still have a Trailwise pack, Sierra Designs Glacier Tent, Sigg pots and a couple of Svea 123 stoves.

Yeah I had the Glacier Tent, too. At 8 pounds, requiring 14 stakes, it was my solo tent way back. I have learned the error of my ways.......

And the mini pump works very well with the Svea--primes better (don't have to use a dropper etc.), and puts out a hotter flame.

You taunt me, McCrea! What have I done, to be punished so cruelly, to have the world’s only non-functioning Svea 123?

My money is on you to get it running again.

After you pressurize it is there a noticeable hiss from somewhere? Does the filler cap go Pssstttt when you unscrew it after pressurization?

One last question, was there old fuel left in the tank? It could simply be varnished fuel in the tank or clogging line/needle.

There are ways to remove varnished fuel from the tank or lines:

https://www.google.com/search?source...sclient=psy-ab

EDIT: I remembered this thread, with specific instructions for cleaning old fuel varnish from tanks:

https://www.canoetripping.net/forum...e-varnishing-white-gas-burner-tanks-and-lines

Last edited:
Yeah, Mike's post brings up some good possibilities. If it isn't the cap gasket or pip, varnish may well be causing the needle to not shut off the stove properly and allowing leakage there through the jet. I think that about the only other places are likely to leak are where the burner screws onto the tank or the packing.

I think I'd either try take the cap off or the pip assembly out and rig a way or pressurizing it via the fill opening to a low pressure or take it apart and clean up everything before reassembly. Not sure how much pressure is okay so be cautious, it shouldn't take much to identify the leak. A spray bottle with soapy water ought to be able to help spot the leakage if you do the former. That or just submerge it in water while pressurized.

Heck you could probably just submerge the whole stove in very hot water without opening anything. That ought to pressurize it enough to make air blow out a tiny stream of bubbles the leak point. I'd drain it of fuel first and rinse it out with Heet after to get rid of any water that might have gotten in. The Heet will also serve as a varnish cleaning. I think you want the yellow bottle Heet not the red.

My preference would probably be to avoid taking it apart and rebuilding unless necessary, but some might prefer to do a full rebuild with new wicks, packing, and rubber parts polishing everything to a shiny new brass look in the process. I'd rather wait until my stove is old to rebuild it :) After all I only bought it (used) in the early 1970s and it was probably only 10 years old then. It is still practically new at probably less than 60 years old. Seriously unless you cook them dry and scorch the wicks or burn bad fuel they usually just keep going and going.

Most likely your stove has some simple minimal problem that once identified is easily fixed.

Thanks, Mike & Pete. We are going to town today for groceries. I will look for this Heet. I had left some white gas in the stove, so varnishing could be the problem. Silly me. But that was almost 40 years ago. I didn’t know any better then.

I’m wondering Pete, how you would suggest that I pressurize the stove via the fill opening.

Thanks, Mike & Pete. We are going to town today for groceries. I will look for this Heet. I had left some white gas in the stove, so varnishing could be the problem. Silly me. But that was almost 40 years ago. I didn’t know any better then.

I’m wondering Pete, how you would suggest that I pressurize the stove via the fill opening.

It depends on what you have. In my shop I crank my compressor outlet way down and use a blow gun that I have with a tapered rubber tip. I think I could get a good enough seal with just hand pressure. I also have some 100 ml syringes that could give enough pressure if a decent connection could be rigged.

Maybe brush or spay all the suspect leak points with soapy water first. Heck you might find the leak by doing that and warming the bottom of the stove with a flame. A light touch with a propane torch and care to not over do it is probably okay with fuel in the stove (you might scorch the wicks if dry).

I actually kind of like the idea of just plunging the whole thing in really hot water and looking for a bubble trail. I'd do it with an empty tank because gases expand while liquids don't much so you'll get much more expansion with an empty tank or at least one with a lot of space.

I have not tried that though.

Not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, but...
What do you light your white gas (or other) stoves with?

I have usually carried a mini Bic butane lighter or sometimes two, but there are a lot of options. I guess options might include a flint and striker, matches, a zippo, and so on. I figure that whatever I carry it ought to be convenient for starting a campfire as well. For me using gas, or other liquids is a no no for campfire starting, but starting a fire with just a flint is too much trouble. Back in the day I always carried strike anywhere stick matches, sometimes along with a few storm proof matches.

I have recently seen little white gas lighters that operate similarly to an old zippo, but are smaller, cylindrical, and sealed with o-rings so the fuel doesn't escape or dry up. It sounds kind of nice that they would be using the same fuel as the stove. The EDC Peanut is one inexpensive example . REI sells a Exotac titanium one for around $50 that looks like a $$$ version on the same theme. Some reviews actually liked the cheap models better. Out of curiosity I ordered a pair of the Peanut model ($12 for the pair including shipping). I figure if they don't work out I am not out much. Anyone here use any of these?

Last edited:
I'm still using poor performing modern strike-anywhere matches or book matches. I do have some back up methods too, as I never want to be without a way of reliably kindling a fire.
I do know a guy that used a bow drill fire stick to light all his fires for over a year while living in a remote trapping cabin. I once watched him demonstrating this method to some kids. He very quickly got a coal, then placed it into some very dry squirrel's best nest material. He held it aloft while softly breathing life into the coal. A gust of wind came by blowing the squirrel nest into a ball of flame, singeing most of his beard.

Last edited:
I'm still using poor performing modern strike-anywhere matches or book matches. I do have some back up methods too, as I never want to be without a way of reliably kindling a fire.
I do know a guy that used a bow drill fire stick to light all his fires for over a year while living in a remote trapping cabin. I once watched him demonstrating this method to some kids. He very quickly got a coal, then placed it into some very dry squirrel best material. He held it aloft while softly breathing life into the coal. A gust of wind came by blowing the squirrel nest into a ball of flame, singeing most of his beard.

Way back I played at the bow drill a little for fun. It was very hit or miss (mostly miss) even in ideal conditions. I guess it is something that can be learned if you persevere, but I never mastered it. I managed to get smoke sometimes and think it was only once that I actually managed to get a flame that didn't result in a fire. I didn't spend much time working on it so maybe I just gave up too soon, but I didn't feel like a big break through was coming soon.

PS: I always liked zippos but for the leakage problem. The EDC Peanut sounds very interesting.

BB: I really liked the term "squirrel best material" when I first read it. Reading further, I realized you probably meant "squirrel nest material". How about even better, "squirrel best nest material"? Whatever the term, we know what you mean.

PS: I always liked zippos but for the leakage problem. The EDC Peanut sounds very interesting.
I have a couple on order and will report back on how they are. I don't have any upcoming trips, but I'll play with them daily around home for a while and carry one in my pocket to hopefully see if it has any fatal flaws. I am optimistic about them. Initially I was intrigued when I saw the Exotac titanium one, but the $50 price tag seemed pretty steep. When I saw that there was a brass alternative available for under $10 that got good reviews I couldn't resist ordering a couple.

The Exotac is reportedly beautifully machined from titanium in the US, but a few of the reviewers actually said they liked the Peanut better so I was dissuaded from plunking down $50 for an Exotac.

I really don't like the results of auto-correct feature on my smarter-than-me phone. Even with self editing it still beats me up. I seldom use my phone for writing, but my 10 year old laptop no longer can log me into this site as of the last couple days. I am not happy about this as I learned to type years ago from a man that rapped your fingers with a yard stick if he caught you looking at your hands while typing. This hunt/peck method of writing is not for me, my fingers know where the letters are, but not my eyes. I will be going back to lurk mode here until CV-19 is over, at which time my IT son can come home to maybe help me get the laptop working as it should.

Pete,

Kathleen and I have always used Coghlan’s flint striker to light our white gas stoves, both the Svea 123 and our Coleman Peak 1. It worked very well. I don’t know why it’s not made any more. We still have plenty of spare flints in the handy dandy storage compartment though.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/557390891364739120/

I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

Mr. Birch: I too hate, hate, hate auto-correct, but I thought, incorrectly as it turns out, that my perspective on it might add some levity. Your contributions are most valued. My apologies for any worry or bother caused.

Levity is the best NEST. No apology required, as no worry or bother on my part.
I just cannot figure out why I can not log in here with my laptop. I would guess that I am the only one with this problem. However I can log on to all other places that need logging in.
Fat fingering may have to become my new normal. I am going to buy a new fly rod before a new laptop. Like a lot of old people, I don't like change.

I hear ya Birch. My ancient laptop is also no longer able to log in here. It wasn't able to start new threads long ago. Etc. When I recently wanted to post some pics I desperately appealed to my wife's loving better nature (and the fact she has a new and up to date laptop from work). "Honey. My laptop is old and feeble. Nearly useless to me most days. Do you have any idea what that's like?!" She gave me a long steady look, most days would've been described as penetrating but that day I must admit I had no idea what it meant. Eventually she buckled under my charming pressure. (And I ticked a few items off the honey do list. And I started Christmas shopping way early.)
Hang in there Birchy. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel, it just depends which way you're facing.

On the advice of Pete and McCrea, a while ago, went to town shopping for Heet to remove any potential varnished fuel from my Svea. We are a small town of 1200. There are two small mom and pop shops that do some automotive repair, and sell some automotive parts. Neither place had ever heard of Heet. I asked them if they had any product that could clean varnished fuel lines. They both drew a blank.

In an internet search, some articles suggested that Sea Foam could clean varnished fuel lines. I commonly use Sea Foam as a fuel stabilizer in my small engines.

i poured some in the stove, shook it around, and let it sit for a few days, re-shaking periodically. This morning I emptied the Sea Foam, and poured in white gas. Pre-heated the heck out of the stove. No success at all. No gas came up out of the jet, although after a while, it seemed that gas was escaping and burning at the base of the fill cap. Maybe there is a leak. I have previously ordered a replacement gasket and pip. I look forward to their arrival.

Neither place had ever heard of Heet. I asked them if they had any product that could clean varnished fuel lines. They both drew a blank.

It's pretty ubiquitous here in the states but I don't know if it's sold in Canada under that name. I think it's just alcohol with some other nasties added. If I remember right it comes in two formulations, yellow bottle and red bottle. When I was in Canada I saw what I assume was the same thing for sale under a different name in a couple convenience stores. Similarly shaped and colored bottles of fuel line anti-freeze/cleaner.

I picked up a bottle in your neck of the woods when I ran out of fuel for my little alcohol stove thinking it was pretty much pure alcohol but it burned slow and sooty and did something that caused the cap to lock onto my little trangia stove. Still haven't gotten it off. Will have to break out the pipe wrenches I suppose and hope I still have something left.

Alan

Heet in the yellow bottle is methanol (methyl alcohol -- poison) and, in the U.S., is the least expensive and probably most popular fuel for alcohol stoves. On Amazon in the U.S. it's $1.58 per bottle, but on Amazon in Canada it's a ridiculous $35.99 plus $20.36 shipping.

I realize many here enjoy tinkering with old and nostalgic pieces of gear, but I upgraded my stove-ability last spring with triple backups: an MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe canister stove (2.89 oz), a Toaks titanium siphon alcohol stove (0.71 oz), and a Fireboxstove.com stainless Nano X-Case Kit twig stove (10.83 oz) -- all on sale and for a total weight of 14.43 oz. All three stoves plus a fuel canister, SS drinking cup, two nesting bowls, two utensils, three different fire starters, two artificial tinders, and other small kitchen doodads can fit in a 1.8 liter SS pot. Too bad I never took a trip.

Back