• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Survival fishing gear for non-fisherman

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for survival fishing gear for a total non-fisherman. You know, after the bear eats all his food.

I'm thinking of maybe two levels of this.

One would be something really small to fit in a PFD or belt bail-out kit -- line and hook, lure, fly?

The second level would be something bigger -- like a compactible rod -- that would still be very light and fit in a day pack. Are bobs and sinkers necessary?

Also ideas for bait, aside from the obvious worms and bugs.

Fishing Kit.JPG I made up a simple kit. The container is a snuff/dip can. I used Skoal Bandits because the can is plastic and snaps shut nicely.

The next thing you need is a spool. I got one from a roll of teflon tape, the white stuff you use in plumbing. It fits inside its own cover, and that all fits inside the snuff can.

I wrapped about 50' of monofilament on the spool and then laid a piece of blue masking/paint tape over it to keep it intact. I took a small drill bit and made some holes in the spool cover. I took 4 small snelled hooks (#6 and #8, I think) and hooked them into the holes, then wrapped them around the spool cover. More blue tape to hold the ends in place.

You can fit a few split shot sinkers into the spool... Holding it vertically, put the bottom in, drop the shots down from the open top, and then snap the cover on. Once you put it inside the snuff can, you can fit a few strips of red felt into the hole in the middle of the spool. There's still room inside the spool for flies and a few fake/rubber grubs.

A strip of duct or electrical tape around the edge will waterproof it.

It's not much, but I think it would catch me enough panfish or bass to live a day or three.

edit: bobbers are not required... just cut off a dry stick or stalk and use it.

Last edited:
That looks good for a basic setup. You could easily set that up on a pole and jig in a rapid or small pool. I would add a small yellow jig and twister tail.

There are lots of tiny kids reels and telescoping rods that would be good for a day pack set up with whatever you want to take for tackle. If you are up here where the toothy fishies live, bring leaders for either kit or you will fish in vain.

If you are thinking true survival type situation then consider a 6 foot piece of gill net. Survival situations are an exercise in time management and being able to fish while gathering firewood or setting up a shelter is always helpful.

Christy

I think the only hope for a total non-fisherman would be a few hooks, sinkers, and probably a bobber. Scrounge up worms or leeches. Maybe try to drive some minnows onto shore. You could try dead minnows too. Bugs could be used but many aren't palatable to fish.

The biggest disadvantage for a non-fisherman is that the most important piece of the puzzle is knowing what fish species will be in that area, what their habits are, where they're likely to be, and what they like to eat. Artificial lures would probably require more skill and knowledge than a non-fisherman would possess. That's why I feel some type of live (or recently dead) bait will be necessary and all you can do is keep trying different spots and depths hoping to get lucky.

Alan

Fish by them self are pretty low calorie. I once read in a survival book that the average trout (stream size) has about 100 cal. You would need to catch and eat about 20 a day in the summer. On the other hand it would give you something to do while you wait after pushing the Spot button.

I typically have some tarred bank line for my general use cordage. I don't carry any fishing gear but it wouldn't take much extra to bring along to set up a few trot lines that way. Set and forget while you work on something else.

We used to fish for garr with frayed up polypropylene yellow rope tied to a line. Just troll it behind the canoe and you'll get a few. It would probably work for pike too. The rope gets tangled in their teeth. No hooks required. Most people don't eat garr, but they taste fine. Just have to know how to clean them.

Sometimes I take a crawdad trap, but you could just flip rocks and find them. Good eating. Pop their big tail scale to one side and then the other, give it a tug and the "vein" comes out with it. Then a skewer goes in the same hole and stake them around the fire.

As far as other survival food, pack a couple of rat spring traps and see what you catch. You could always set them around camp and suprise your companions if you're bored.

Better yet, kill that bear you've been fattening up with your other food and eat it.

Somewhat off topic. I have a textbook called "Native American Ethnobotony". It will tell you about almost every plant native to North America that is either edible, medicinal, or makes good cordage. Along the water the main two would be cattails and stinging nettle. Willow bark for aspirin. Acorns can be made into a flour if you grind them up and let the river seep out the tannins over night. Locust thorns make good fish hooks.

I agree with the gill net. It can be hard to catch fish with a full supliment of tackle. Take all that away, add extreme hunger, weakness, and inexperience.... a tiny ball of mono some hooks and split shot will most likely just be an exercise in frustration. Time would be better spent foraging as you make your way out of what ever scenario that you got into.

Time would be better spent foraging as you make your way out of what ever scenario that you got into.

The scenario is a canoeist on a wilderness trip who has lost or run out of all his food, but is otherwise healthy and has all his equipment. He has no electronic distress signal or gun. He can paddle to his his destination or civilization, but it is many days or weeks away. He has water all around, on which he is paddling. What he needs is food. Fish are the obvious source.

Foraging could make sense, too, but that takes ethnobotanical knowledge and may simply not be available in river valleys relatively barren of vegetation.

We used to make " Tylenol" out of birch twigs. You pick a bundle or two that fit in your closed hand like a bundle of sgaghetti. maybe as long as your hand too. Tie em together and boil them. Drink the tea. I got sick once and a healer made that for me. It worked pretty good but you have to drink lots of it.

Christy

The scenario is a canoeist on a wilderness trip who has lost or run out of all his food, but is otherwise healthy and has all his equipment. He has no electronic distress signal or gun. He can paddle to his his destination or civilization, but it is many days or weeks away. He has water all around, on which he is paddling. What he needs is food. Fish are the obvious source.

Foraging could make sense, too, but that takes ethnobotanical knowledge and may simply not be available in river valleys relatively barren of vegetation.

Depending on the location of course and the time of year, foraging might be hard! Up here there is lots of berries but not all summer long, Usually starting in august you could eat a lot of them and you can find them pretty much anywhere, river valley, alpine, barren, every where! As for fishing, most river are full of arctic graylings, and they are super easy to catch. trouts, that is an other story... You could most likely catch grouse with a snare stick( not legal but if you have to you have to) if the area is some what remote, you wouldn't have to much trouble snaring them. There is alway the porcupine that is good eating and some what easy to catch, you could cook all the meat and have food for a few days with a big one!

I think Canotrouge is right on , a porcupine is your best bet.Other small game would occupy an enormous amount of time without a weapon or brass wire for snares plus have very little caloric value (fat). Fish also without some carbohyrdate . Hunting / gathering would consume all your waking hours. Thats why agriculture enabled civilization. Even with a comprehensive knowledge of indigenous plants the source would be sporadic at best. Native reliance on local food sources was developed over centuries & those traditions are vital to survival.

For use with a little hand casting device or emergency spool one of these adjust-a-bubble bobbers would come in handy. It is hard to cast a stickfloat very far with a cheap reel or emergency spool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkQBOHnnUZw

I have caught a lot of trout in the Rockies using an adjust-a-bubble bobber and a cheap rod and spinning reel, sometimes using a fly, more often using a grasshopper and hook.

One trip in the Wind Rivers we hiked down from camp to fish a small alpine lake. On the far side there were a couple of guys with fancy fly rods and gear catching nothing. There were no grasshoppers to hit and stun with my hat, but we found a patch of alpine flowers with plenty of bees.

Trap the flower and bee in a baggie, squish the bee, on the hook, cast out and we would have a fish within seconds.

We were barely casting the bee into the water before we had a strike. The guys watching on the other side of the lake gave up and walked off. We caught enough for dinner in short order and our trail back led us past their camp, where one told us “Ahh, it was too windy today for fishing”

I held up the stringer so he could see.

For use with a little hand casting device or emergency spool one of these adjust-a-bubble bobbers would come in handy. It is hard to cast a stickfloat very far with a cheap reel or emergency spool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkQBOHnnUZw

I'm a little confused by this device. Don't you still need a rod and reel to cast or troll with it, or are you suggesting that for small emergency kit purposes you could just toss this out like a rock with the other end of the line in your hand?

After reading the above and thinking about it, foraging definitely is not the best option, I think that the gill net or any easy to set trap the best. If you have no source of food, you won't want to burn up the calories foraging, hiking, or hunting. Set the trap and wait. If you can find a good live bait and troll on your paddle out (tie a loose loop over the end of a stick after you have enough line in the water. When a fish strikes the loop will slide off the stick and you hand line it in) you would kill two birds with one stone by collecting food as you work your way out. Of course, if you're on a portage and pass by some blackberries or a patch of blueberries, bonus!

ETA: it can be painful trying to hand line mono without a spool or reel. If your just taking the line and some hooks, it might pay to use some dacron ice fishing tip up line with a mono or floro leader, easier on the hands.

Jason

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by this device. Don't you still need a rod and reel to cast or troll with it, or are you suggesting that for small emergency kit purposes you could just toss this out like a rock with the other end of the line in your hand?

Glenn, both, or either. With a small rod & reel or by hand.

Trolling with a hand line (from a tandem canoe?) would not require a cast, just let the line out. The same if fishing in river current, in a spot where you can let out the line floating mid-stream and not tangled against the bank.

But lake fishing it is hard to cast a hand line very far, and even with a compact rod and reel it is hard to get much distance with just a fly or a grasshopper on a hook. You can use split shot or sinkers for weight, but then you have to keep things from tangling on the bottom.

The adjust-a-bubble floats even when near fully filled with water and provides enough weight to sling a fly or hook out quite a ways.

We had a cheap spinning reel bite the dust unrepairably on one trip and I ended up casting monofilament line by twirling it overhead and letting go lasso style. With some water in the bobber I could still fling it a good distance, and since the hook wasn’t sinker diving towards the bottom I could wind up the line slowly and incrementally on the way back in.

The tactile feel of a fish on line in hand is actually more exciting than using a rod and reel, more of a direct connection between you and the fish.

I can admittedly be a very lazy fisherman, and am not averse to simply casting out a fly or grasshopper on a hook and then paying little attention while I read a book on the bank. “Oh, hummm, where did the bobber go? I better check my line”

That is a good way to get bait stripped, and obviously reduces setting the hook to pure fish-hungry luck. It is also a good way to have to keep undersized fish that have swallowed the hook.

Reeling or winding the line back in is decidedly more effective, both to keep the bait or lure moving and to set a strike, so throwing a fly or hook out10 feet from the bank kinda sucks in a repetitive motion timeline.

I had opportunity to watch trout strike at a fly and it was fascinating.

I was on a backpacking trip in Glacier NP with a complete fishing novice who lived in Montana. Not that I am any shakes of an angler. We hiked up and went off from camp to fish a high lake, where my companion walked around to the far side to try his luck. Soon after we had the following shouted conversation:

“Mike, there’s 20 or 30 of the biggest fish I’ve ever seen over here”

“Over where?”

“Over by the big rock”

“There is nothing but big rocks around here dammit. I’ll come find you”

I found him alright. He was perched atop a 20 foot tall vertical cliff on the water’s edge, dangling a line straight down like he was fishing off a bridge. I hiked up to see what he was talking about and he was right, there were a couple dozen of the biggest trout I have ever seen, schooled up listlessly at the base of the cliff where the breeze was collecting downed buglife.

I went back down to the base to try casting out to them. The cast was about at the limit of the distance I could achieve with my cheap rod and reel, even with the water filled bobber. He stayed up top to see what happened.

What happened was that if I could manage a cast out beyond the cluster of trout and slowly reel the fly through them a chain reaction would sometimes take place. His color commentary from up top was so interesting I had to switch places so I could see for myself.

Casting out and reeling through the fish cluster sometimes nothing would happen. Nary a fish would seem to notice. But sometimes one fish would make a little move towards the fly, the next nearby fish in line would make a bigger move and finally one would strike. If none of them ever moved nothing would happen, but as soon as one made even a slight movement the chain reaction was a near guarantee of a strike.

Again, the color commentary was as much fun as catching the fish. “Ok, one moved, another, hesgoingforit STRIKE!

Postscript. We did well, and ate a mess of fresh trout for dinner. We did well the next day and caught our limit to clean and take back to his place. We did so well that it was getting on towards dusk before we packed camp to hike out.

We hiked out in the dark. In autumn bear country. With fishy trout fillets in our packs. I was certain that every dark clump of bushes along the trail was a bear. Bear bells on our bootlaces, loud conversation, reconsideration of a possible deity; it was an added element of excitement I could have done without.

Postscript II. My companion on the trip with the failed reel was the calmest, quietest and most even keeled guy I have ever known. We did two week trips where we didn’t share 50 words a day, it was all knowing nods and looks.

He was using that reel and the first I knew he was having trouble was when he suddenly bellowed a very uncharacteristic “YOU CHEAP effing PIECE OF crap!” We both tried to field repair that reel and I came to the same conclusion.

I was so disgusted with that failed reel that I never wanted to see it again, and didn’t even want to sully the trash with it. I mailed it back to the manufacturer with a note that read simply “This is a cheap effing piece of crap”.

They did not send me a replacement reel, for which I was grateful.

I’m not really a much of a fisherman, which is probably a good application for that adjust-a-bubble bobber. For flinging line off some rudimentary hand device it would be ideal. If I can only hand cast the line out 10 feet I’d rather not have to wind it back in too quickly.

See also throw it out there and read a book.

In that guise I have to agree with LatremoreJ and others. Running out of food and days or weeks away from a safe exit, the more time spent with a fishing line in hand is the less time spent paddling out. Trolling while paddling maybe.

A small gill net would take up little space or weight and require no fishing-line-in-the-water oversight.while you were on a double portage or setting up camp. Leave it out overnight.

Same for some wire to make snares. Snares are quick and easy to make, set them and check at dusk and the next morning. The best success I have had with snares was catching squirrels. For study skins, not for fending off starvation.

Prop a log up at a 45 against a squirrely tree. Tie the snare loop part way up atop the log, high enough to leave some strangle dangle wire. Admittedly I baited the log with a couple dabs of peanut butter.

The strangling squirrel flailing at the end of the wire was awful to see, so I thumped them in the head with a stick.

Gill net and some wire would be more efficient use of time than sitting by the water fishing.

If you were the second coming of Euell Gibbons foraging might be helpful, but that requires a steeper learning curve.

The taste reminds me of wild hickory nuts (only folks old enough to have seen television ads in the early 70’s will get that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJMIu18I8Y

I heard Gibbons give a presentation about foraging wild foods. Overwrought mothers complained to Post Foods that Gibbons was encouraging their children to eat potentially poisonous berries, and Post forced Gibbon to do an explanation apology tour.

I have never seen a speaker so obviously pissed off and fed up take the stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euell_Gibbons

Not really a survival thing, unless you pack in soda and want to chow down on raw minnows, but 2 liter soda bottles make excellent, invisible, freebie minnow traps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+l...ei=Jur3V5n2B8G0ev7PuNAM#imgrc=wzcoDvkyVSdGLM:

Peel off the Diet Pepsi label .Cut the pour end off with an inch or two of flat side remaining, jam it in place and make a couple of oppositional holes to tie the nestled plastic bottom and funnel sides together. I use bread roll twist ties, easy to fasten and unfasten.

Drill (at home it helps to freeze the bottle full of water first) or melt a bunch of flow holes in the bottom end. Put a rock inside with some cracker crumbs or etc and toss it out so the holed bottom end is facing any upstream flow, although it works in still water too. heck, it even works with no bait inside, minnows be curious.

The trap is dang near transparent invisible in the water, and if tied to the bank with monofilament line there’s nothing to see here, move along.

Yummy. Sushi minnows for dinner again.

Back