• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

SUP Tripping: Realistic or Ridiculous?

I expect outfitters in areas where rental SUP’s are useful are overjoyed for the same space, transport and recovery reasons. Maybe the fad of it too.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of outfitters are actually glad that SUPs have become more popular. They can only sell so many canoes and kayaks, paddles, etc. If something new doesn't come around their business can become stagnant. I would think that for the paddling industry this is a real win-win.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Yes, the SUP craze has definitely kept some paddlesport shops alive.

I have tried SUP, very briefly. I'm around them enough to see the attraction. They aren't that hard to stand on - at least, not for a practiced canoe poler. ;) If you aren't in shape, you will feel it over your whole body - but, like poling, once you are conditioned to it, it isn't as hard as it looks. They don't take up much storage space and don't require any special vehicle to transport. They can't be swamped, and are therefore much less likely to be pinned or wrapped. You don't have to outfit them with flotation or other special gear to make them safe for rough water. They're easy to get back on in the water. That fact has contributed greatly to the learning curve.

I watched some local paddlers struggle to use them on the rivers when they first started showing up here, and had my doubts about their usefulness. But some of them have learned to use them well and have progressed to running as much as class 3 with them. Some of them now have multiple boards for different uses, just as many of us do with canoes.

These people (the ones I am acquainted with) are not fools. They know how to read current and are well versed in river safety. They wear appropriate gear for the conditions, up to and including helmets and drysuits. I have no doubt that they are capable of doing multi-day trips if they become motivated to do so. It is possible to add attachment points to the boards. There is plenty of room to carry gear in dry bags on an appropriately sized board. There is even at least one model that is designed to accept a seat, which effectively makes it a SOT, and has securement rigging included.

But why would they choose that over a touring kayak or a canoe? I guess I don't know, ssince I haven't seen anyone tripping with one that I could ask. But I expect that an avid SUPer might do it because he can. And because using the same craft that he is most familiar with and conditioned for just seems the natural thing to do.

There is a woman who has been tripping with a SUP and posting videos online. Been a wwhile since I've seen her videos, but IIRC, she's in Europe somewhere. I do expect to see a few adventurous souls taking up the challenge here before long, and I expect that they will do well with it.

Just because we see a lot of people trying SUP as a fad and llooking foolish for various reasons or a lot of inferior examples of the craft, doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate pursuit. Just look around you at all the canoes and kayaks, many of them of inferior design, being paddled about by ignorant people who are in over their heads.

I think tripping on a SUP would be a cool thing to try. But I'm maxed-out on hobbies, so someone else is going to have to do it. One thing I know that those SUP nuts know too...........you guys who aren't standing are missing out on some great views. ;)

If I were to trip on one I'd sit on the cooler and use a double blade

Starting to sound like a good idea, except for that double blade thing. If I put the cooler close to the edge for single blading, would the board heel like a Chestnut, or flip like a Pelican?

Saw one a couple of years ago after a 5 day trip in WCPP.

I couldn't stop laughing. Did you want to trade the canoe in for one of those? lol

True story.....
That shot is at the put-in/take-out at Leano Lake in WCPP. Here was 3 guys, a canoe and paddle board and one large pack between them. The pack did look to be reaching close to the 100 pound mark but good grief that was light on gear for a week. About the lightest I'd ever seen. Well a few short kms before that we had seen the polar opposite. Actually we heard it first. Boom, boom, bang, crash, boom, boom. I thought somebody was bumping the trees as they carried the canoe. Nope, they were dragging a Coleman. Well that canoe was complete with full moulded plastic seats, the kind that were fully to the bottom of the canoe. It had the large deck compass and full internal metal frame to decrease the oil-canning effect. Then came the small boy who was carrying a pack that was considerably bigger than him with full rolls of foam. Not foam sleeping pads, but the 2 inch think yellow upholstery foam. Then came the 2 adults, both toting huge packs, one carrying a full large military style 5 gal water can and the other carrying a metal cooking grate that was at least 4 feet by 2 feet. They all looked like they had been through the absolute ringer. Legs all bloodied with the scratching of mosquito bites looking like they were not having a great time. Then there was the young daughter of an early teen age, looking considerably fresher than the rest but she was only carrying an ammo box and small pack. I didn't stick around to watch what carry number two or even three had in store and whether there was coolers, bar-b-ques or full size refrigerators coming.

So in a stretch of only a few hours I saw the lightest travellers and the heaviest travellers I had ever seen. I didn't have the balls to take a picture of the heavy crew, but it will be etched in my head forever.

I've six of the things, mostly displacement boards which track better and are faster than the surfing types. Max speed is above 4 mph, the longer 14 foot boards not showing the expected 1/2 mph increase over the 12.5s. I suspect the speed limitation is cadence, the long, ~6 ft paddles cannot recover as fast as a 4+ ft marathon stick so cadence is slowed, and cadence determines speed.

The forward stroke is a technical, marathon style canoeing stroke, enhanced by torso rotation from the toenails up. But SUP paddling may well lead kayakers to canoeing. Boards handle counter intuitively, like Harold Deal's Shaman. In canoes we usually weight forward to free the stern for skidded turns. The fin changes that, one needs to move weight aft to sink the skeg and lift the tip/bow, then draw it in the intended direction. That takes some time to internalize. Bow wedges/jams work wonders

The high stance presents a different/better view of the world than a canoe or kayak seat. Cold water is resolved, as in canoes and kayaks when immersion is likely, by wet and dry suits and a total absence of cotton.

A ten mile paddle is easily doable whether from South Creek - home or down and back on the Lower lake. Camping, sure, but the weight of gear and it's location near tip and tail compromises performance, particularly weighting aft to raise the bow. Will tripping become commonplace? The same question was asked about small, intimate, solo boats in the mid 80s. Certainly a SUP board would ease flattening oneself to duck under Pine Barrens' downed trees, and would enhance stepping over some of them too.

We'll just have to wait and see, but they're good fun, guarding that we older guys are not enacting Plank's Principle, that established individuals must become extinct before newer theories may be embraced?

Last edited:
As someone who has been paddling open canoes standing for 25 years the SUPs had a great appeal to me. On the upside SUPs can be available while on a beach vacation where canoes are not. To me they are not as pleasing to paddle as a canoe but it is better than not paddling at all. I would like to try one with the skeg removed to make it feel more like a canoe.

As far as tripping with one, it's not for me. Just because something can be done doesn't make it practical. Other than for surfing waves I think they excell on a hot day when you want to get wet to cool off, sort of combining swimming and paddling.

The big question to me is why more people don't paddle their canoes while standing, especially polers. I don't have much opportunity to use a pole where it is the most practical method of propulsion but when I do I find that standing with a six foot paddle makes for a seamless transition from pole to paddle. Do you polers out there take a long paddle meant for standing?

Sometimes. It's still experimental to me. Still more comfortable just sticking with the pole.

I haven't PBed yet :- )

I had my chance at Mexican Hat boat landing on the San Juan last year. A group came in view while I was guarding the flotilla, while some of our crew ran up the hill for a beer and ice refuel :- )

It was a interesting view, it looked like fit young woman in bikinis were walking down the river towards me haha...for a second, I thought maybe I had slipped off the tube of my cat while pissing in the river, split my skull and was being welcomed into river runner heaven :- )

Seriously though, they were taking out and I was checking out their gear. One of them offered a board to me, but I wasn't sure I could drive the thing. The river was up and the current was fast, I didn't want them explaining that I had disappeared around the bend to my wife haha

My wife wants to do Hawaii trip next year and if that happens, I'm going to try it :- )

The big question to me is why more people don't paddle their canoes while standing, especially polers. I don't have much opportunity to use a pole where it is the most practical method of propulsion but when I do I find that standing with a six foot paddle makes for a seamless transition from pole to paddle. Do you polers out there take a long paddle meant for standing?

No, but I frequently use my pole as a kayak paddle.

SUPs are fun I built one a few years ago. They are a great core body workout and it's a neat experience to be standing at almost water level and looking down into the water. You see a lot more aquatic life than you'll ever see sitting in your canoe. (stand in your canoe and you'll see the same...) I don't use mine often as I prefer to fish and the SUP just lacks the storage space to toss in my fishing gear.

As to the idea that they would be hard to portage....I always try and separate my hiking trips from my canoe trips anyway so that's not an issue. The only portage I'm doing is between the truck and the water and since my canoes are carried on a trailer that's about 5 feet!

Back