• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Adirondacks: The Floodwood Pond Loop

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"The Floodwood Pond Loop is an excellent backcountry trip for folks just breaking into the sport of canoe tripping or for seasoned paddlers looking to visit the North Adirondack area. The route is run almost entirely on state land, allowing for minimal development along the way—truly offering a wilderness experience. Additionally, more than 75% of the trip is paddled through creeks and ponds that do not permit motors."

I totally agree, this area and canoe routes are great. As a start, middle, or Finnish point, there are many possibilities. I only paddled in new England, mostly in the adirondacks. So I might be slightly biased. Good fishing, well marked carries, no shuttles, solo or group, its got some thing for just about every one. And yes I do need to broaden my horizons and explore other areas so many of you write so nicely about. Paddle on!

I've run this route many times over the years while working for a college outdoor program. This summer I plan on using it to introduce my 8 year old grandson to canoe camping. I took his older brother to Lake Lila 3 years ago but he's still a bit too small to keep his end of the canoe down in the winds of Lila. I'm thinking a campsite on Follensby Clear will be a good base camp and we'll do a loop trip on the middle day of our outing. Should be fun.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back