• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Sun Screen buying time again

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite sun screen for canoeing? Have been useing Hawaiian Tropic 50 pls sheer touch. But it is almost empty now and the sun is strong here in central Florida. Water proof is essential. So is being able to grip the paddle after use. We use light weight almost see through long sleeve cotton shirts thanks to yellow canoes suggestion last year and a Tilliy style hat. That still leaves a lot of skin exposed. What do you use to clean your hands after applying sunscreen? Oh and it would be nice not to smell so bad that you scare off all the wild life down wind because of the stench of the sunscreen.

I went to Florida twice this year for 30 days paddling. I couldn't get sunscreen anywhere at home and forgot to look for it in Florida. I tarped my legs ala McCrea and wore a bandana to protect the neck.

I came home with a hand tan. Don't do as I did though.

Try applying sunscreen with the BACK of your hand just like applying DEET. That way nothing is slippery nor dissolves. You don't usually get sunburn nor mosquito bites on the palms of your hands.

I use Hawaiian Tropic 50, not so much for the sunburn prevention, but to keep away deer flies.
I have found it to be an effective repellant for those hungry dudes.
I stumbled upon this when MDB and I were paddling a section of the Cedar River. I was swarmed with deer flies, she not even having so much as one around her. After she tossed me the bottle, all I did was open it, and like magic, the flies vanished!!
And to clean my hands? Just rinse them in the water I'm paddling, nothing more to it than that.

I am super pale and have had several severe sunburns. So I need a strong sunscreen. I tried Sawyer Stay-put SPF 50 for the first time last summer. It worked well for me. I figure most folks could get by using their SPF 30. The 50 is supposed to feel a little greasy compared to the 30, but I did not think that it felt greasy at all compared to what I am used to. It absorbed quickly - not much residue on hands. I thought it really stuck with me too. I only remember reapplying once or twice during the day.

I use a standard 30 SPF from our local dollar store. I used it all last year and it worked as well, if not better, as most of the name brands that cost almost 8-10 x's as much. I ran out while in SC on spring break a week or so ago and popped into a dollar store outside Charleston and made the same type of purchase with the same results. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to go with the high cost stuff as long as you reapply every few hours and when you come out from swimming. Just my experiences. Your mileage may vary.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Sunscreen ... you mean that stuff I remember just before supper?

Back