• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Strong Canoe Yard - Horace Strong Canoe

Nice looking canoe, but it has a thwart behind the bow seat, so when you turn the canoe around to paddle it solo, the thwart will be in the way.

Why not call Strong Canoe Yard and ask them about it? Maybe that thwart is overkill and could be removed for solo travel. My 16' Chestnut only has 2 thwarts and none behind the bow seat.

But really, how can you go wrong, it's wood canvas and green, I'm just sayin'
$_14.JPG

Don't I have to be a bit more critical than that? My thought, too, was to remove the thwart behind the bow seat. Heck, I may even remove the stern seat for the duration.

Last edited:
I was looking around for information on Horace Strong, these folks might help with your quest for information...

"Horace built canoes in courses at the
Lake Champlain Maritime Museum in Vermont for several years, and then claimed to have built over 100 canoes, so I expect its really a larger number (that was 10 years ago - when I worked at LCMM - and although he always claimed he was done with building them, I kept hearing of others for some time). I haven't heard from Horace or Shirley for several years now, but trust they are still going strong (so to say). They have a serious commitment to Habitat for Humanity and have spent a lot of time traveling around the country building houses for other people. Horace also happens to be a very funny person, especially if you appreciate cornball humor. (Shirley is a saint!) Last but certainly not least, he builds a beautiful canoe. I hope they are both well and happy."

If it where my canoe, I would remove the thwart and the stern seat too. You have two good thwarts, plus those little grab handle thwarts so you have plenty of strength imo. A lighter piece of hardwood could be added as a mini thwart to the bow side of the stern seat bolt holes in the inwales if needed, but I doubt it.
Removing that seat would give you plenty of room and make it easier to trim the canoe with a load.
I guess the color isn't all that important, I just have a thing for green w/c canoes.:confused:

70lbs on the weight?

Is the canoe symmetrical or asymmetrical?

It would make a difference if you were paddling it a lot.

I've tracked down Horace's phone number. I really appreciate the thoughts and information. I'll call him later tonight.

I paddle a 16' wood canvas prospector, it has no thwart at the bow seat. I agree with Robin that you could take it out if it's typical w/c construction.

Good luck,
Barry

Horace helped me do a nose job and install new canvas on a canoe years ago - it was around 1980. He lived in Craftsbury at the time if I remember correctly. Please post here if you make contact.

Back