• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Stove overheating when using a wind screen????

Reaction score
I was zooming around the internet looking at various designs of home made wind screens and I ran into a caution about the stove fuel tank overheating if it was confined within the wind screen. Now both my stoves are of the old design where the fuel tank has the burner directly above it and the pot supported by three legs that fit into slots in the fuel tank. Probably the best know of this type is the Optimus OO.
Both of my home made screens go about 75% round the stove, leaving the gap for me to get at the stove/cooking pot. So far I've never had a problem but have any of you experienced any problems with wind screens?
I'm probably just fussing for nothing but what with the pool of experience here, thought it would hurt to ask.
Best Wishes, Rob

IMO you are "fussing for nothing". That said I bake using an Outback Oven hood that comes down way low all the way around and I won't use that hood on a tank-underneath-stove. Because you have an "escape hatch" I think you are fine.

There is a guy who has led trips in Wabakimi and uses a Coleman Peak 1 stove and a Coleman Windscreen. He has had some thousand nights cooking this way and not had a problem.

I looked up the Optimus OO. Never seen anything like it; quite cool.

I have used a wind screen with my Peak 1 (tank below burner) for years and the stove is never too hot to handle. I have thought about making a new screen with one more panel but your question tells me not to mess with what is working. The gap on the down wind side is probably a good thing to leave there. As YC commented it is a built in escape hatch and cooling vent for the stove tank and body.

Back