• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

SRT spray deck, yes or no

Reaction score
I finally learned to love my SRT and have run a number of Maine Rivers in it now. On some ledge drops that I would consider minor, I have taken on water over the bow. This has me thinking about a spray deck. I'm not trying to instigate a debate about the general value of spray decks. Rather, I would love feedback on whether the Hemlock SRT specifically would benefit from one.

I recognize that my taking on water may be a matter of technique and not the boat. Would appreciate any feedback on that point, too.

Thanks so much.
Art

as I am also thinking about a spraydeck for my OldTown I will keep an eye on your thread and see if I can use the expected answers for my project as well.

best regards
Michael

I think most canoes would benefit from a spraydeck, though I also thinnk the SRT, given its depth, runs dryer than many canoes. Here's my SRT with spraydeck on Brennan Lake in Wabakimi. Spraydeck was made by Cooke Custom Sewing.

Attachments

• spraydeck.JPG
    spraydeck.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Not an SRT, but another excellent CCS product. Great for the wind and rain but also for some big waves I had no business being in.

Attachments

• SP.JPG
    SP.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 21
No.

I have never used a spray cover on my SRT and, with one early exception, on any of my 13 open canoes—even my specialized whitewater canoes with which I used to run class 3 and 4 whitewater regularly for 18 years. In fact, I never saw a spray cover on any whitewater canoe in any whitewater club I ever paddled with. People used big float bags, carried bailers, and dumped water out of canoes periodically on the shore. Not a big deal.

The one exception was in my pink elephant, buy-every-gadget, whitewater novice period with my first canoe, a Mad River Explorer back in 1980. I had a three-cockpit, custom spray cover made for it with zipper-off cockpit covers, spray skirts, and paddle pockets. Snaps under the gunwales. I used this monstrosity a few times on northern California whitewater river trips, including one three-nighter. It was a hassle to put on and remove. After dumping a couple of times in big rapids with the cover on, I decided the whole magilla was actually dangerous and a potential body enwrapment and entrapment contraption in whitewater. I never used it again.

To keep water out of my open canoe in whitewater and waves, I learned over a period of years how to paddle a lot better—including how to avoid water intake with body weight shifting, J-cocking at the hips, and leaning away from waves (especially upstream leaning on a paddle plant)—plus how to scoop-flip water out of a canoe really fast with a Clorox bailer or paddle. Easy-peasy.

Like skid plates and double bladed paddles, canoe covers on open canoes can be a subject with completely differing opinions and experiences.

I use a deck on my PakCanoe for expeditions where the boat is always loaded, and we're running whitewater or big lakes. Bailing the boats in both instances would be difficult, and the covers keep a lot of water out. I've used a short bow deck (Visqueen) on my DR solo canoe in whitewater--it helped, but it has a narrow bow. In bigger whitewater (C3-4), where I'm not packing much, I've just filled the canoe up with float bags. Unladen and on rivers, open boats are easy to dump out, so it's not so much a problem getting water in. On lakes with big seas (tandem) the decks help a lot. For solo on lakes, if I think I need decks, I'm not going out there. Decks are a pain for portaging, but doable.

Hi Art, what causes you to want to add a spray cover to your SRT? Adding tie-downs/D-rings/adhesives and float bags to maintain buoyancy will certainly help.

The Hemlock SRT has attributes for whitewater, yet is not a whitewater playboat. The attributes are flared bow, narrow beam, deep bow and skegged stern. I too own a SRT. Quartering waves among other techniques allow a canoeist to negotiate large waves and reduce swamping.

Wish you well!!

I've never thought of a spray deck for my SRT, and only once or twice have I taken on any significant water over the gunnels...both times in heavy whitewater drops while loaded with camping gear. The SRT has a lot of freeboard, but even that has its limits. I have had it in significant waves and swell, most memorably on Lake Champlain, also loaded with camping gear, and was able to quarter the waves or surf following seas with little to no water taken on. I don't know that I would bother with a spray deck, but I also usually avoid conditions where a spray deck may be advisable.

FYI, my profile photo is in my SRT loaded with camping gear on a small, tidal, exposed bay during +/- 15 knot winds, and it could have handled a lot more than that.

-rs

CCS built a spray deck for a Wenonah RX Rendezvous, yet I did not use it once. Conditions simply did not demand using the spray deck. I gave the buyer the spray deck for no additional cost.

Also have a Northwater spray deck for my solo Dagger Caption. Used it once during a heavy wind driven rain storm. Did keep me warmer throughout the day.

Fully outfitted with floatation, barrels lashed-in and bilge pump, bailer ready when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3893.jpeg
    IMG_3893.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 12
Golly Art, if you think the spray cover will add goodness to your SRT, go order one! Don’t hesitate, order purposefully and enjoy your days on the water.

What color are you thinking of?

Spraydecks seem like a good idea for expedition river travel and nice to have for lake travel. For daily paddling, probably unneccessary. For whitewater, flotation is probably best. Back to Art's specific question about the SRT: I think it would be less likely to need a spraydeck or other outfitting, as its depth and bow flare make it a fairly dry ride in waves compared to most all-purpose solos.

Nice suggestion tomo. Yes, easy for me to stray from the initial inquiry.

More often than not, slowing the canoe’s hull speed will allow the canoe to take on less water and keep the hull’s momentum going where you want it to go- “the line.” Always focus where you want to go, not ever where you do not want to go.

Ledge drops set the rules as does each rapid. More speed, less speed or let the current carry you over safely? Each ledge/rapid is unique with water levels, different length of canoes and paddlers experience. High rocker, moderate rocker or none? Tripping, day paddle or playboating?

On several occasions I have focused where to NOT to go and either pinned, near pin or near wrap. Happens to every paddler, just part of the game.

Ideally, buy a solo open canoe and begin playboating. If you want be a better whitewater paddler, then go make yourself that paddler. Also, reading the water is most critical. Are there many lines or only one line?

Days lengthen in a week!

Dirigo 🛶

Back