• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Spring!!!

Well, here in central NYS it is near 40 F right now but by tonight we're supposed to be back into some snow. Nothing major but a couple of inches are predicted by daybreak tomorrow (Friday). I even heard of the potential for another big storm the middle of next week that could form into a classic nor'easter. I just hope the roads clear out by Friday the 28th because we're supposed to leave campus at noon to drive down to GA for our spring break trip. I'm soooooooooooooooooo looking forward to paddling again and seeing some gators in the Okefenokee. I also wouldn't mind if we hit a day where it reaches 55 F or so. Honestly, I don't want it to be too warm because no one is used to that. I'm not sure how they'll hold up if we start paddling in really warm weather after all this time in the cold.

That's all for now. Take care, happy Spring and until next time...Be well.

snapper

It must be spring. The frost heaved backroads are starting to settle back into place. I'm finally winning on the icy sidewalk battle front. Even one of our cats no longer stands at the opened back door grumbling "WTF is this?". She'll actually step out, for a few minutes...before wanting back in...and then back out...
Every springtime, our family goes for a Good Friday hike. Some attend church, some do not, times are made flexible. A large and noisy meal follows, maybe even some riotous card and board games break out in the basement. Some years, the hikes have been scrambling over ice and snow banks, and others mean't sloshing through pond sized puddles. I remember one year we were all in T-shirts, loping along a country lane, trying to madly keep up with an uncle who was striding up ahead, with his long gangly legs, face upturned to the sun. We'll see what awaits us this April. The raincoats have come out of hibernation, but the winter boots and coats are still by the door. We're not "out of the woods yet".

Last edited:
Snapper- I'm driving to Cooperstown, from Indianapolis, Weds. To pick up a boat. I guess I'd better keep a close eye in the weather. 40 and sunny here, today. Winter returns Tuesday for a short visit.

50littlebirds - As of this morning (Friday) the weather prognosticators are still calling for a potential storm next Tuesday into Wednesday. As for myself, I'll wait and see what happens. Around here whenever the "big one" is predicted very little seems to happen. It's the smaller storms that seem to turn into the major ones when no one is looking.

BTW...where are you picking up a boat in Cooperstown? Just curious if you don't mind sharing.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

The snow we were supposed to get last night went south, thankfully, but we still have the -32c wind chill today with temperatures not getting anywhere near zero again until next Wednesday.

On the positive side, although this winter was colder with more snow, last years was longer, it didn't end until May, so I'm being optimistic that we will get Spring sooner, although I doubt we will see open water until June. 4 feet of ice takes awhile to melt.

The snow we were supposed to get last night went south, thankfully, but we still have the -32c wind chill today with temperatures not getting anywhere near zero again until next Wednesday.

On the positive side, although this winter was colder with more snow, last years was longer, it didn't end until May, so I'm being optimistic that we will get Spring sooner, although I doubt we will see open water until June. 4 feet of ice takes awhile to melt.

Yeah, but it's been a dry cold, right? Just kidding. You're beyond the reach of the troublesome Red? I'd prefer a slow melt any day. Last year here, we had a heat wave in April. Old fashioned April showers never did show up. We went from winter, straight into summer. I had a farmer's tan by May. That ain't right. I like the gentle seasonal changes that lull you through the calendar.

Southern MN here. Cold and windy. Still getting temps of 12 F. 40 MPH winds. Lakes still have 40 inches of ice. Only chance of using a canoe here is to use it as a sled in the snow.

Come on down to Florida. In the middle of our spring canoe season. Not to cold. Not too hot. Heat is a problem here in the summer. But hey we have been ice free for a few years.:rolleyes:

Oh I disagree. It was HOT on Blackwater Creek and Salt Springs and Rock Creek. Its all relative. I wilt above 73 ( my normal hometime high in July) The wee problem is I am supposed to go home and might be blocked by snow.. Eastern Maine is expecting a blizzard Wed., the Mid Atlantic snow, but its early to make any decision based on weather guesses.

Into the plus temperatures by next weekend they say... at least we aren't amongst the 1300+ homes and business' in Winnipeg with frozen water pipes, some of which may not be thawed until June.

-25 feels like -30 in red lake right now. But I am in Thunder Bay right now which is so much warmer at -21. Unless there is a dramatically warm month or two we will still have ice for the May long weekend. Maybe even snow as well. Good news is that water levels will be up and the forest fire risk should be low.

Still nary a black fly or mosquito to be seen.

We actually quit burning the wood stove a couple weeks ago...but had to fire it up again middle of last week. Haven't seen any robins yet.

I went up the local river to the heron rookery, expecting to see some activity there - but the nests were all still vacant. Nope....it's a little early for me to call it "spring" yet.

Spring has arrived in Manitoba... despite snow on Thursday, the next week is all plus temperatures even getting into the double digits next week (night temps are still in the minuses)... ice out should happen by... June maybe.

Yellowcanoe's pics of Florida have sent me into an existential crisis. Is it possible for ice and snow to transubstantiate into liquid? Does Santa Claus really exist? I'm thinking he does; it's no coincidence Santa is just Satan spelled wrong. His evil influence has spread from the North Pole to permanently cover my otherwise unremarkable little town, rendering the inhabitants irritable and crazier than normal. I'm gonna wipe the ho ho ho right off that ^%%%* lips and give him a three foot face wash in a pile of snow full of dog crap. Then I'm gonna kick him in the gonads and send him and his dirty little elves packing back to his merry old sweatshop. BA HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Its snowing again.. Santa Claus is bullying the Easter Bunny. No way will I be able to get the Christmas decorations off the house before Easter. The light cords are buried..

Its snowing again.. Santa Claus is bullying the Easter Bunny. No way will I be able to get the Christmas decorations off the house before Easter. The light cords are buried..

I am listening for the peepers - when I hear them I know Spring is here. I am getting hard of hearing so if you hear them let me know.

Wow, somebody's going on the naughty list. Christmas morning is gonna be real interesting in a certain Geraldton household next year. (Note to Rob. Coal from your stocking burns nice in the wood stove, if you don't mind the soot.) I wonder if Santa (sp.?) forgives bad little boys and girls, if they spend long winters suffering from cabin fever? I wonder if Santa gets cabin fever? With all those elves running around the place, and the reindeer barn to muck out, his trip south is probably as welcome as a winter paddling break in Florida. But what do I know?
Here, the snow's almost all gone, but the skies are teasing us with flurries. The robins are singing and scrapping for territory. Cheery little Juncos are flitting through the yard, and just passing through, on their way to their long distance destination. My own work commitments are shouldering aside many springtime travel plans. If I'm all work and no play for a few weeks, maybe we can reverse that order as the summer comes along. Work or play, here or there; I'm not too bothered with changing plans. My backyard feathered friends remind me, that singing and scavenging can both fit into our busy little lives.

Saw a goose on the way into the city today. For out here that is a sure sign of better things to come. Starting to see patchy ground in the fields all around as well.

A certain sign of Spring in Winnipeg... they are filling sandbags!

Back