• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Spring!!!

Ok, we skipped Spring and went directly into Summer. 86F yesterday, 91F today with thunderstorms. That should kill off the lingering ice on the big lakes.

Friday was the official ice out day here. But reports of ice still lingering in a few spots. Aaaaaaand I saw a kid swimming in the lake Friday afternoon. Bleeping mental.

A few mosquitos but no black flies yet.

Thursday I put the canoe into one of the lakes up this way and had zero luck fishing but I did step in the water at one point and it was instantly numbing cold. Like painful cold.

So long winter, so long spring, hello summertime. For me the sign summer has arrived is when I hear the float planes.

I thought you lived in north country ... :)

Manitoba is famous for it's Winters, this years being the coldest in over 100 years. However, Summer is usually stinking hot and dry with colossal thunderstorms. It isn't unusual to have at least a dozen days over 100F and considering it did get down to -60F over the Winter, that is a huge temperature spread in less than 6 months. Always keep an eye out for tornado's during our storms though.

It is kind of funny, the weather site I use says for people outdoors to take adequate cover during the severe storms, but, where the heck am I supposed to go if a tornado is coming my way out in the back country? Besides, most of our storms come at night after day time heating.

North has not much to do with being warm. Its rarely 91F at home. If the wind is from the SW.. maybe or with no wind once a year. Only. In May SE breezes prevail and normals are around 55 for highs.

Did the Green River. South in Utah. It never broke 60. We did the Missouri.. at one point we were 75 miles from the SK border. It was 90 degrees. Mihun I was thinking the same thing yesterday when we did 46 miles on the river. A black cloud formed at about mile 30. I wondered where we would take cover. With the recent flooding and bank erosion on the Missouri, the banks were high and the cottonwoods on top of the banks were intermittent. Only every few miles would a stand appear. Those would be up ten feet of vertical mud..

Nothing came of the cloud fortunately.

I figured the best thing to do was if it thunderstormed to put on a raincoat and keep paddling.. After all a river is just a big ditch, right? :)

With Summer just a week away it is cool and wet now and the summer forecast is for cooler and wetter than usual, which should help with abating forest fires and keeping water levels up.

Of note, on June 15, there are still 114 properties in Winnipeg with frozen water lines and over 7,000 at risk of the water lines freezing due to the frost Still being 7 feet down. It has only thawed to a depth of about 4 feet thus far.

This spring we finally were able to fly in Olive Lake in the NE of Woodland Caribou PP on May 17. Olive lake is a deep lake so opens later than some but there was enough open water to land. When we tried to find open leads to the route to Bigshell we got trapped by moving ice. Not a good thing in a kevlar canoe but I was able to chop our way to open water. I had read up on how the ice actually goes out and was forced to stop on an island where I saw it first hand. Candled ice floating by in big sheets and coming apart with the wind and sun weakening it more. The next morning the ice that remained had moved and blocked where we had been but was clear where we had to go. We never saw ice after that and I found myself wading in the river 5 days later with no great discomfort. In WCPP Leano was open on May 15, Mexican Hat by May 14. Red Lake itself opened on May 23. The planes were using the river up to that point. These are some variations in ice out that some may find useful in the future.

Well summer has arrived but it looks like early spring again. The Forest Tent Caterpillar has cleaned out all the foilage from the deciduous trees around town, highways are covered in squished worms as well. Not sure how widespread it is but if I get a chance I'll snap some photos and post them.

Back