• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

Reaction score
I don't have any amounts, I don't really measure anything just go by eye but this is sort of how it goes

Dried Ground Meat
Dried Mushrooms
Dried Onions
Dried Celery
Dried Green Peppers
Dried Green Olives (sliced)
Dried Tomato Sauce
Dried Parsley
Dried Oregano
Dried Basil
Dried Garlic Powder
Pasta

Pre-Soak dried ingredients for 10-20 minutes, then boil in pot stirring frequently until thick sauce is achieved. Start with a little water and add a bit at a time to avoid watery sauce. Cover and let stand while you boil your favourite pasta. I prefer whole wheat spaghetti. Then top with freshly grated Romano cheese and a pan fried Walleye (optional but highly recommended)

Just like home. It was really just an experiment but it turned out way way beyond expectations. I will do it again but do a little more documenting.

I will do it again but do a little more documenting.

reads like my mother in laws recipes. When she tried to put in amounts the results were less than stellar. Over time the 1 in 1/4 rubbed out( remember recipe cards?) and 4 tsps pepper is not like 1/4.

Do the guys on cooking shows measure?

Yes and no, measurements are guidelines and not hard and fast rules, but you need a staring point right.

Well yes but it's not bread making and we don't have to worry about expanding rice...The latter is always too much. The former... remember that I Love Lucy episode?Lots of ingredients on your list are to taste. I might forego the beef and put more mushrooms in. Some might leave the salt out. I agree on the good cheese topping!

Reminds me of my former grandmother-in-law's recipe for noodles (she was Polish-speaking German):
- a fistful of flour
- a faucetful of water
- See, ya get it?

And then there is the real lazy types like me that just buy Classico sauces when they are on sale and dehydrate them into a leather. I probably go through 5 - 6 jars each summer. (I also do the same with cans of chili)

But yes, home-made is better than a can or jar.

Please keep the recipes coming. My sea kayaking partner would appreciate something new from me on our 3 week trip in August. So variety is important and something new would be great.

Thanks,

hmmm, Question, where do you get dried ground meat? Or do you dry it yourself?

I buy ground chuck at my butchers and never hamburger at a large bulk place like Costco or Loblaws.
Anyway, cook it up in a fry pan until really well done. Drain with running water through a sieve to get rid of all fat so it won't go rancid.
Add spices then dehydrate.
When finished the ground beef has the texture of sand but rehydrates well.
Do the same for canned chicken and canned ham.

Ted

I dry my own, it may actually have been venison. I just call it packs of mystery meat in the freezer. Deer? Moose? Bear?
The reason I did the ingredients separate is because I find different sizes in things like chilli take differing times to dry and I have not had good results that way. I am getting very particular about what I put into my body as well. Realizing the foods that digest better, give more energy longer and is able to sustain my required calorie count on a trip like this. Switching to whole wheat pasta was a biggie for me. Need less pasta to fill me up and I am not hungry in a hour after eating it.

I made other stuff too for this trip but can't recall what I put in, they were tasty and filling but just don't recall what I put in them a few months ago.

Oh and to add I used ground chicken and turkey not the cans of beaks and lips salted to perfection that come in the cans. Prepare it the same way as red meat like Ted described and turns out great.

Back