• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Source for Quality Ottertail paddles?

People create different and confusing names for things. Nature creates the shapes that should inform the names.

Here is an otter tail. The top to tip taper is titularly telling.

otter+tail+close+4+Feb+12.jpg

Here is a beaver tail.

Beaver+tails.jpg

Here is a badger tail, which presumably inspired Badger Paddles, none of whose paddles is called an "ottertail".

BadgerTailLlg.jpg

Got a good laugh from Glen's post demonstrating the differences in animal tails. I mean no offense, his pictures of tails are spot on it seems, even if it isn't still connected.

I'm attaching a picture here of some of my paddles that I use. I took a picture for insurance purposes and the discussion of shapes reminded me of it.

I consider paddles 5-7 from left to right to be otter tails. They are a Kettlewell Rays Special, Kettlewell Modified Otter tail, and Fishell Modified Otter tail. The modified otter tails are my favorite shape. Some of the others I would consider a Beavertail style. (Left to Right) No. 1, No. 4, and No. 9 which is a Badger Digger, and I bring it for whitewater and shallow water when the Modified Otter tail is less suitable. Based on Glen's research, I'd say it is probably a beaver tail. I want to call No. 8 a beaver tail too, but Glen's picture of a badger tail makes me reconsider.

Cheers,
Barry

Glenn,
You are right, they do have slightly different shapes but the commonality is a longer and narrower blade than most. YC is correct, Badger does not label their paddles with traditional names but does refer to ottertail, beavertail and voyageur as the inspiration behind their shapes. 12 years ago I switched to a Greenland paddle for kayaking. These traditional Inuit paddles have long blades that are skinny. I prefer a 3 1/8" width that tapers down to 1 1/2" at the loom and each blade is 33" to 35" long. I find the paddles less stressful on the joints and more versatile than a short fat blade. I haven't used the ottertail canoe paddles that I have enough to corroborate an similar effect for me.
Dave

Waterdog, what make and model is the second paddle from the right? That's an unusual shape.

I believe we can construct two logically correct propositions about ottertail paddles.

1. All paddles properly called "ottertails" must taper from top to tip.

2. Not all paddles that taper from top to tip are called "ottertails". Some have other names, such as the "voyageur" paddle.

paddles.jpg

Sweet selection of paddles there, Barry!

For any of you who may be looking, Ray Kettlewell retired from paddle making a year or two ago.

Thanks Steve. Once I ran out of room for canoes I started buying paddles instead. They all get used but the otter tail is the go to for tripping. Yellowcanoe is correct, Ray's equipment was acquired by Fishell paddles. There is one in my picture next to the Kettlewell. I haven't paddled it yet but my first impression is that they are a suitable substitute. Cheers, Barry

Back