• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

​Solo tripper canoe preferences?

20 pounds lighter would put you in the 38-40 pound range. I'd say there aren't a lot of 16' tandems at that weight, and if there are, they'd be expensive.

Yeah, 20 lbs lighter than the Penobscot’s 65 lbs with permanent outfitting installed is probably asking a bit much, even though I could lighten the outfitting weight using better materials and proper planning.

Ne'rtheless, I thought of the Bell Morningstar in black-gold. HERE is a pnet thread in which an experienced paddler compares the Penobscot to the Morningstar. In THIS THREAD, Charlie Wilson give a long history of the Morningstar's development at Bell.

The Morningstar would be a little short for my voluminous gear packing tendencies, and while the NorthStar would be a better dimensional fit, I am not a fan of elliptically bottomed canoes.

If I consider going to a soloized 17 footer the available choices expand considerably. A Keewaydin 17 would be awfully close to perfection. I know that is a lot of boat for solo tripping, but I am big and pack heavy.

I'm in border withdrawal. Customs must be looking for me. It's been two months
Time to go to Montreal and drink on election night

Yeah, 20 lbs lighter than the Penobscot’s 65 lbs with permanent outfitting installed is probably asking a bit much, even though I could lighten the outfitting weight using better materials and proper planning.

The Morningstar would be a little short for my voluminous gear packing tendencies, and while the NorthStar would be a better dimensional fit, I am not a fan of elliptically bottomed canoes.

If I consider going to a soloized 17 footer the available choices expand considerably. A Keewaydin 17 would be awfully close to perfection. I know that is a lot of boat for solo tripping, but I am big and pack heavy.

Millbrook AC/DC - 45 lbs.

Composite Creations Expedition Classic (canotrouge's favorite) - 46 lbs.

Hemlock Eagle in Premium Lite layup - 48 lbs.

Hellman Quetico 16 - 42 lbs.

Nova Craft Pal 16 - 44 lbs. (Bill Mason's canoe in most of his videos)

Clipper 17' Jensen - 40 lbs.

Savage River Deep Creek Solo - 27, 30, or 40 lb. layups (wow)

I don’t refuse to go across, but for what I enjoy I simply don’t see the need.

At the risk of offending our Canadian brethren I am curious about your “never again” different story.

Me too... there have been some stories about Canadian snowbirds changing their minds about flying down to the states, esp Florida and instead choosing Cuba. Not sure why exactly but the highly-priced US greenback relative to the Loonie probably had something to do with it. USians OTOH may have been spending more up north since there's more goods to be had per buck.

There may have been some anti-Canadian feeling, not sure how much, during the seventies when Trudeau was resisting Nixon in some way, IIRC Tricky Dick got to ride in a rusty limo in Ottawa once because of the acid rain fallout from US coal plants and another time Trudeau waited grinning and leaned over to check that Nixon actually signed a Great Lakes water agreement before signing his copy. That may have been why Nixon referred to him after that as "that ahole Trudeau".

PS... about wilderness, absence of roads is what defines that in one definition so access to many lakes and rivers may be paddle-in or fly-in. Geographers who study such things say that Northern Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba and Saskatchewan combine to create the world's largest land area where freshwater accounts for 10% or more of the surface area... plenty of room and as always northerners love them greenbacks.

Last edited:
Most of my tripping - which has been solo, or at least solo in the boat - has been in the Millbrook Coho. The bulk of that time has also been standing with a pole. Mike, I would compare that boat favorably with the Penobscot, which I had for a while. Turns a little easier than the Penobscot and handles rough water better, but not quite as fast (nearly so, though). As it came from Kaz with no seats, it weighed right at 40 lbs. I do paddle it some, using a mini-cell kneeling pedestal glued to rectangular 1/2" pad that I slide out from where it wedges under the yoke when I want to give my legs a break. Click Glenn's link for the AC/DC and scroll down for a look.

I do suspect that the AC/DC my be a more versatile boat though. I'm hoping to scrounge together the funds to have Kaz build one for me some time in the next year or so. I can't verify it, since there is a dearth of information on the net comparing it to other boats, but I have some idea that it might fill the shoes of my Prospector and my Malecite as solo or tandem (for my use, anyway). Who knows - I might even be able to pole it. Kaz couldn't comment on that, but I've been surprised at what canoes can be poled, that most would think shouldn't be.

M
I do suspect that the AC/DC my be a more versatile boat though. I'm hoping to scrounge together the funds to have Kaz build one for me some time in the next year or so.

I hadn't looked at the prices on Millbrook boats until now, very inexpensive for what you get. The AC/DC looks like a prospector from the photos.

Mark

I hadn't looked at the prices on Millbrook boats until now, very inexpensive for what you get. The AC/DC looks like a prospector from the photos.

Mark

Price are great so are the boats. As for the AC/DC, better hurry up of you want one cause John is thinking of discontinuing it for reasons he can explain to you when you talk to him!

Most of my tripping - which has been solo, or at least solo in the boat - has been in the Millbrook Coho. The bulk of that time has also been standing with a pole. Mike, I would compare that boat favorably with the Penobscot, which I had for a while. Turns a little easier than the Penobscot and handles rough water better, but not quite as fast (nearly so, though). As it came from Kaz with no seats, it weighed right at 40 lbs. I do paddle it some, using a mini-cell kneeling pedestal glued to rectangular 1/2" pad that I slide out from where it wedges under the yoke when I want to give my legs a break. Click Glenn's link for the AC/DC and scroll down for a look.

I do suspect that the AC/DC my be a more versatile boat though. I'm hoping to scrounge together the funds to have Kaz build one for me some time in the next year or so. I can't verify it, since there is a dearth of information on the net comparing it to other boats, but I have some idea that it might fill the shoes of my Prospector and my Malecite as solo or tandem (for my use, anyway). Who knows - I might even be able to pole it. Kaz couldn't comment on that, but I've been surprised at what canoes can be poled, that most would think shouldn't be.

AC/DC link from Millbrook Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/3630167403...63016740342/10155706730890343/?type=3&theater

AC/DC review from cboats.net: https://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7968849&mobile=desktop

11406634_10155706730890343_5648072835666260516_o.jpg

Millbrook AC/DC - 45 lbs.

Composite Creations Expedition Classic (canotrouge's favorite) - 46 lbs.

Hemlock Eagle in Premium Lite layup - 48 lbs.

Hellman Quetico 16 - 42 lbs.

Nova Craft Pal 16 - 44 lbs. (Bill Mason's canoe in most of his videos)

Clipper 17' Jensen - 40 lbs.

Savage River Deep Creek Solo - 27, 30, or 40 lb. layups (wow)

Glenn, that is a helpful list. Looking at the cost of a virgin new boat I now return to searching for something used and repairably battered.

I somehow forget about Savage River Canoes. Not that I am likely to find one used, but they are my only in-State canoe maker. I have a bro-in-law I occasionally visit in Oakland and should remember to stop by someday. The Deep Creek solo looks awfully nice (better not bring my checkbook).

The Deep Creek solo looks awfully nice (better not bring my checkbook).

There are some folks over on BWCA.com who use them and like them a lot. There was concern about how such a lightweight canoe would hold up in shield country but so far so good from what I hear. Rob Kesselring had a 32 pound version and I think he said after 30+ BWCA trips he finally put skid plates on it. One comment he made was that it was easier to be gentle to a 32 pound boat; meaning you're more prone to pick it up and carry it over an obstacle than to simply drag it like you might be tempted to do with a heavier hull.

Alan

I had a 14# Savage river Wee Lassie for several years and lots of trips. It survived many collisions with rocks and being dropped 10' onto a boulder with no damage. I was amazed at it's toughness for the weight.
Turtle

Price are great so are the boats. As for the AC/DC, better hurry up of you want one cause John is thinking of discontinuing it for reasons he can explain to you when you talk to him!

Traded text with Kaz over this question. He explained that the mold has some cosmetic imperfections, but as long as I am okay with that, he would be happy to build me one. One of those links above has a review that shows those defects. I'd have so many scratches on the hull within one season that those wouldn't be an issue. You should see the bottom of my Coho. ;)

It does look very "prospector-ish", but narrower and with shallower stems. Just what I'm hoping for.

Traded text with Kaz over this question. He explained that the mold has some cosmetic imperfections, but as long as I am okay with that, he would be happy to build me one. One of those links above has a review that shows those defects. I'd have so many scratches on the hull within one season that those wouldn't be an issue. You should see the bottom of my Coho. ;)

It does look very "prospector-ish", but narrower and with shallower stems. Just what I'm hoping for.

Yes John told me the same... Actually a lot of his moulds are getting hold and he says that it is hard to get a flawless(cosmetically talking) boat out of these older moulds!!

Back