• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Smoke headed your way for tomorrow?

Thanks Gerald. We have been smoke free pretty much all along in Maine but it's a good reminder to check Quebec 511
We are leaving soon for Quebec and Labrador

During a Yukon River race, I spotted this pyrocumulus cloud, a thunderhead being generated by a forest fire beneath it. At one time seven of these could be seen in the distance all at once. At another location we witnessed a lightning strike actually ignite a fire on a hillside as we paddled past a couple of miles from it.
Y1K pyro thunder cloud.jpg

Noblesville, Indiana yesterday at the Dead & Co. show. No clouds, no fog. That is straight wildfire smoke all the way down in central Indiana.

20230627_202343.jpg20230627_201757.jpg

Like Rippy and Tryin said, here in south western Wisconsin we have alerts to stay Inside. Have been advised to stay inside, run ac and check filters every 2 to 3 weeks. Pools and summer camps are canceled due to dangerously unhealthy air quality. At times, the haze limits visibility to about a mile and we can smell the smoke.

the last couple of days we have been in a Very Unhealthy air quality advisory and are recommended to stay indoors and wear a mask if heading outside.

I listen to a Chicago radio station and they are saying the air is just plain dangerous to breathe and not to go outside.

Soueastern Wisconsin (south of Milwaukee) here and we’ve have had very unhealthy air for the past several days. It is supposed to clear up tomorrow. Being asthmatic I have pretty much stayed indoors. Looks like fog off Lake Michigan but smells like smoke.

I'm a weekend pilot responsible for keeping my soaring club up to date with the smoke forecasts. It's entirely new to me, flying in smoke in southern Ontario. For two or three weeks there hasn't been a visible horizon (a big problem for pilots).

In our case (Orangeville area), the smoke cleared by around noon today. But the general feeling I get from both firebomber pilots and forestry experts is - it's going to be real bad this year.

So far it's looking better this morning in eastern Iowa. I don't see the air quality warning on the weather page. Yesterday visibility was about 1 mile in places.
On the humerus side, thanks to a past episode of covid, I haven't been able to smell the smoke. I guess I got that going for me. I recently quit my 5 a day cigar habit. Been out side each day and didn't notice any breathing difficulties ( compared to smoking cigars) so I got that going for me too, ha ha. Told my wife I could probably save my nicotine patches for clear weather days.
Hang in there friends. Think Annie "The sun will come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun".

Back