• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Size Matters

Reaction score
Took the Phoenix up a swollen creek and back down. It was a pleasurable paddle - lots of lining through rocky swifts. One thing clear is I need a new wood paddle for shallow streams. My BB Explorer is too long in the blade and a few inches too long in the shaft for this boat. Any suggestions for a durable, shallow stream paddle? Thanks.

How about a canoe pole? I've only played around a few times with one, but I find it much more comfortable to stand up and pole in shallow water than to sit and try to use a paddle..

I'm still tying to wear out the Rock Guard, on my first BB paddle. It's been nearly 30yrs. Yes I've reglassed the blade a couple of times ! But I can't seem to leave the bank without it !

When the going gets rough ? Out she comes !

I also have a few ZRE rec models, i've used racing and long lake paddling.

I can recommend BB !

Jim

I like the BB Expedition Plus for river use. Mine has held up to moderate abuse for quite a few years with the usual annual touch up and maintenance. I re-shape the grip a bit and oil finish it. The BB rock guard edging does seem to hold up unexpectedly well.

Annual touch up ? I actually have an unopened can of marine polyurethane varnish meant for that purpose about 10 years ago.

I like to tune up the shafts and grips on my wood paddles each fall. Steam/heat any dings if necessary. Smooth things up with some fine grip paper and give them a couple coats of oil. Flat water paddles get tung oil on the shaft, river paddles get an oil, varnish mix.

Nice project for a few evenings when the first snow is getting ready to fall.

Back