• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Simple Checklist

I have used GSI hard anodized pots on an open fire. Doesnt hurt anything. The only issue is the narrow profile of the pot makes it difficult to balance between logs. A fire grate eliminates the issue.
Thanks DuctTape, I'll give them a try over a cooking fire.

All I know is, the instructions that came with this set said not to use it over open fires. I'm wondering if it's because some users try to scour off any soot, and thus damage the finish? I dunno. I'm going to try them. They'll be used on my twig stove, so no grill issues there. It's a nice looking pot set.

We use a list, pile everything beside the packs as the leaving date gets closer, pack everything and check it off as it goes in... one trip we got an extra day and rushed leaving a bit, wound up on the first campsite 10km into a 10 day trip without any Toilet Paper.

Moss works really good.

All I know is, the instructions that came with this set said not to use it over open fires. I'm wondering if it's because some users try to scour off any soot, and thus damage the finish? I dunno. I'm going to try them. They'll be used on my twig stove, so no grill issues there. It's a nice looking pot set.

Hmmm, just thought of this, does your set have the cool touch handles with the rubber grips? They wouldn't fair well over a big open fire. I would think a twig stove would be more than okay for these. I would be interested to hear about your results.

Yes Red, those are the ones. I posted a new thread in the kitchen section with pics. We've cooked and baked many different meals with the old set. The new set is a one pot wonder called a Duelist. I'll experiment and see where it takes me. I've been impatient and put old pots on fires before the licking flames had settled down into coals, but I won't be so hasty with the new pot. I think. Depends how hungry I get.

Hmmm, just thought of this, does your set have the cool touch handles with the rubber grips? They wouldn't fair well over a big open fire. I would think a twig stove would be more than okay for these. I would be interested to hear about your results.

My Coleman set has wire handles without rubber grips and as long as I remember to pull them away, they're always cool to the touch. The rubber grips really aren't needed.

I keep two lists on my computer - one for gear, and the other for food. Both lists are pretty comprehensive, so depending on the trip, I can cross some things out right away before even starting to pack.

I find that each year I tweak the lists a bit, but it's definitely handy to have a reference.

For the record, ever since I began keeping a list - maybe 10 years now - I never forget anything. When I dip my paddle in the water, I'm pretty confident that I've got my act together and won't have any "oh crap!" moments...at least not on account of having left some key item at home. Beginning a 2-3 week trip with the revelation that you forgot your flashlight, tarp, or topo maps is not ideal.

I found this checklist, and decide to update a little bit. I used brand names where I thought it was relevant and actually could remember. It is a checklist and not all the items are for every trip. Like the coat and bug shelter.

Day Pack
Head Lamp
Mini Tripod
Camera
Survival Kit
-matches
-snare wire
-paracord
-fine cordage
-fishing hooks
-whistle
-compass
-pocket knife
-candle
-duct tape
-bug head net
-emergency blanket
-Large Ziploc Freezer Bag
First Aid Kit
Repair Kit Box
-Tent Repair Kit
-Military Hay Wire
-Stove Repair
-Batteries
-Sharpening Stone
-Matches
-Firestarter
-Compass
-Paracord

Rain Coat
Rain Pants
SilNylon Guide Tarp
Rope
Bundle of Paracord
AR-7 Survival Rifle
Toilet Paper
Hand Sanitizer
Small Tackle Box
Stringer for Fish
1L Nalgene
Katadyn Combi Water Filter
Binoculars
Original Bug Shirt
Toque
First Aid Kit
Tea Billy
Cutco Filt Knife

Main Bag
MEC Cygnet Down Sleeping Bag
Marmot Liner
Air Mattress
Eureka VCS 16 Tarp
Eureka VCS 16 Mesh Room for Tarp
Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTC
Guide Tarp
Hellinox Chair
Waterproof Compression Sack with
-1 Spare Pants
-1 Spare Shirt
-1 Spare wool socks
-1 Spare Underwear
-Track Pants
-Sweat shirt
-Large wool Socks
-Garbage bag
-Book
-Bandana
-Moccasins
-Canoe Journal and Pencil
Kitchen Kit - see other List
Wool Blanket for Dog
Extra Fuel
Coat
Empire Canvas Works Wool Blanket Shirt
Matches
2 x 23m Polypropelene rope
G-Man 21” saw
Grandsfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
Personal Hygiene Kit
-Toothbrush
-Toothpaste
-Advil
-Pepto Pills
-Benedryl Pills
-Nail Clippers
-Talcum Powder

Kitchen Kit
Optimus Nova Plus Stove
GSI Pinnacle Back Packer Cook Set
Fuel Bottle
Wind Screen
Container with
-Sporks
-Small Cutting board
-GSI Folding Utensils
-Matches
-Wooden Spoon
-Mini Whisk
-Camp Suds
-J Clothes
-Tea Towel
-Large Ziploc Freezer Bags
-Aluminum Foil
-BBQ Lighter
GSI 2L Fair Share Cup with screw on lid
Kitchen Journal

On my person and loose items
Original Bug Pants
Quick Dry Button Down Shirt
Quick Dry T-shirt
Anti Microbial Underwear
Wool Socks
Keen Water Sandals
Large Belt Knife
Leatherman Tool
Matches
Paracord
Wide Brimmed Hat
Whistle
Fishing Licence
Bandana

Fishing Rod
Fishing Net
Canoe
Paddle
Life Vest
Painter Lines
Emergency Kit

This list is pretty close I would think. Can't think of anything not on the list except of course food.

red, I don't see "Sherpa" on your list.

Do you really carry an AR-7? What for?

Hi Red, I've seen some mixed reviews about what kind of accuracy a person can expect with that rifle. May I ask, how well will it shoot for you?

Best Wishes, Rob

People see that AR-7 name and think it is some kind of submachine gun or something. It's just a take down semi auto .22. I've read mixed reviews as well. When I pack heat, it's usually a bigger caliber.

AR-7 is a break down survival rifle. It's one of those just in case things. I also carry a box of bullets for it as well.

I'm familiar with the rifle. I just can't imagine what you'd use it for. It probably wouldn't kill a bear, at least not with the first few rounds. I'm curious what you anticipate needing it for, and how likely that would be. I'm looking for something more detailed than "just in case."

Thanks.

For accuracy I find the AR-7 I have to be as good as anything I have used. I have an older Charter Arms version and it is prone to jamming. I find it really depends on what type of bullet you use. I hear the jamming issue was really just with the Charter Arms versions.

No, it won't likely kill a bear in a panic, but I can get off 9 rounds pretty quick and it may be enough to persuade a bear that he may not want to bother me. Saying that, I don't carry it for Bear. It's a survival item I carry, like a steel and magnesium fire starter or the snare wire. If I am stranded or find myself without a food barrel because the bear came in the night and took it, the rifle may prove useful. It's an item I fancied and thought was neat and like to carry. One of the things about carrying it, is nobody knows I have it.

I don't consider myself a "Survival Geek" but it is a subject that interests me and I keep the things I learned in mind when travelling. I live in an area while not desolately remote I can still find myslef in a situation pretty quick that may mean 3, 4 or even a week on my own and I don't want to be the guy who died because he wasn't prepared.
I have never been in a survival situation and really really really hope I never do, but if it happens I want to be as prepared as I can.

And yes memaquay, I sure wish it was a larger calibre but there is not allot of choice of guns like this without getting into hand guns. I think there is the Marlin Papoose and maybe the Remmington JIC in stainless steel, neither one fits the specific needs I am looking for.

Bit of along winded answer but hope that helps Gavia.

PS. I love talking gear.

Ah, Gavia my friend, most of us have things rat-holed for "Just in Case" and will occasionally let the fact slip out. The rest of us, who would never do such a thing, are telling a big, fat, fib. And ought to be ashamed.
My long suffering wife, estimates that I'll need to live another 473 years to make a noticeable dent in the volume of things I've got and will defend against all comers (especially wives who want to "clean out all that junk!"
When pressed too closely for the reasoning behind a particular acquisition , my ears get red, I look at my toes and mumble something about "Well you never know..."

If Red reports back that he's able to shoot the eye out of a mosquito at fifty yards, well dang! I've got to get me one too!
Because, after all, it sure would be nice to have handy.........just in case!

Best Wishes, Rob

Bit of along winded answer but hope that helps Gavia.

PS. I love talking gear.

Thanks, red. It's exactly what I hoped for - thoughtful, balanced, and reasonable.

I might add that if I were to pack some heat it might be a sawed-off AR-7 with either a cutoff stock or a folding wire stock. For survival purposes you don't need either range or killing power - just easy handling and adequate stopping power. I don't plan to need either one of those features, and I hope you never need them either.

Either one of those mods to the AR-7 don't make sense. The barrel and action as well as the clip (newer models hold two clips) all fit within the floating stock. Cutting the stock would result the components not fitting within the stock. And shortening the barrel would result in unnecessary lose in accuracy.

If you ever paddle up this way be sure to drop me a line and we can go out and plink with it and you'll see what a mean.

And Rob, my shooting abilities are not as you describe but my hoarding abilities are keen. I have way too much stuff but learned a long time ago, you will only ever need the stuff until shortly after disposing of said item. I now keep more than I should waiting for the odds to swing back in my favour.

I'm a sucker for .22's and have Cooey's, Savage, Lakefields, and Rugers. I have a Marlin semi from 1950 that I really like, and two weeks ago got a Marlin 60 tube feed that is currently my favourite plinker. I've looked at those AR-7s for a long time, but my next purchase for a survival rifle will be the Little Badger. Can be had in Canada for under 200 bucks and can get it in .22 Mag too.
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2599

Thanks for the link Memaquay, that Little Badger is an interesting idea. The one point I'd like to be clear on before I put out my money is how is that hinge and locking catch made? What I'd be looking for is it going to work/wear loose before long? To my mind, using it in the field, that hinge is open to a tremendous amount of stress from any pressure that might be put anywhere along the length of the gun. For example, what if you fell forward while holding it in one hand and some part of your forward momentum fell on the middle of the piece?
I do like the fact they were content to keep it a single shot, much more in line with a survival situation. As far as the accessory rails, I'd rather they beefed up the hinge area and left off that kind of monkey business. It's not really important but I doubt I'd ever trust a clip on holder for the ammunition, too easy to loose shells off it. And what's with the threading the end of the barrel so you can mount a suppressor? (!)

Following up the u-tube link on the site; I did see an accuracy test of the AR-7, the guy was getting inch and a half groups at twenty-five yards. Hmmm.......

It's been a hoot thinking about all this; but I guess I've arrived at a point where I'll take what ever dependable gun I need to get a real job done. And it won't be super light, it won't fold, it won't have accessory rails and it darn sure won't have suppressor threads on the end of the barrel!
In fact, it'll be one of my regular guns picked for the needs of the situation.

But it's been fun, thanks guys!!

Rob

Back