• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

View attachment 137545
Cambodian police boats. I guess if you're the police you get away with being slightly overloaded.

Something about this seems fishy to me. Why would police want a boat of such long and unmaneuverable length? I see no motor or propeller. How do you get such big and long boats on a pickup truck? How could you drive for very long or at any speed with such an unbalanced and unsecured front load? I probably need to go to Cambodia to check this out. Is Colonel Kurtz still there?

@MyKneesHurt love a multi-modal trip! Those look like skin-on-frame boats? How do you find them durability-wise? I'm not familiar with the James or how rocky (or beaver-skewery) it is.
I am a true believer in SOFs, and I will preach them to whoever will listen. I can buy a 40-pound canoe for $2500, or I can build one over a pair of sawhorses for $500, that will perform 80%-90% as well as the CAD-designed factory boat. I can also control the specs of one I build. (Although the costs in building a bad boat, tooling up, skills acquisition, etc. can't be written out of that equation.)
One professional builder I talked to made an interesting statement: he said generally speaking, 30-pound canoes are equivalently fragile wherever they're from; 40-pound canoes the same; etc. It was a good learning point, and watching people baby very expensive lightweight boats makes me think there's something to what he said.
They're not bullet-proof, but, well-made, they'll handle 90% of the conditions I encounter as a canoeist. The James can be extremely rocky at low levels, though it's too far south (SW Virginia) to have any beaver in it. Sharp stuff, like oyster shells, should be avoided. They'll get scraped and bumped and sometimes torn if you're not a good rock-dodger, but some aqua-seal and drying time gets them back on the water. I've never had any sort of catastrophic failure in one in 1,000+ miles of paddling them.

Last edited:
Something about this seems fishy to me. Why would police want a boat of such long and unmaneuverable length? I see no motor or propeller. How do you get such big and long boats on a pickup truck? How could you drive for very long or at any speed with such an unbalanced and unsecured front load? I probably need to go to Cambodia to check this out. Is Colonel Kurtz still there?

here you can see how these kind of boats be to use.
With the length of the drive shaft to the propeller, the motor is probably transported separately

Last edited:
Something about this seems fishy to me. Why would police want a boat of such long and unmaneuverable length? . . . I probably need to go to Cambodia to check this out. Is Colonel Kurtz still there?

here you can see how these kind of boats be to use.

Thanks. Live and learn. I still don't know why they choose that shape boat, but they obviously do. In truth, I don't know much about power boats at all. At least I now don't have to go to Cambodia and worry about Colonel Kurtz. I'd rather go to Thailand, anyway.

Folks run outboards like that with johnboats in the swamps of the southern US. I've heard them referred to as go-devils and mud-buddies. They are air-cooled instead of water-cooled, eliminating risk of clogging the water intake in muddy or weedy waters. They're also less prone to getting their props fouled with weeds. The longer shaft allows an angle that encourages running in shallower water.

Now as to hull designs in SE Asia, I cannot comment.

According to Kahel's YouTube research, these Cambodian and Thai boats are called longtail boats and are used for drag racing. I suppose their long waterlines and narrow beams contribute to speed because: Speed = square root of (horsepower/displacement) X Crouch Constant.

Perhaps Cambodian police use longtail racing boats because Cambodian bad guys do.

Go-Devil and Mud Buddy are brand names of “surface drive” motors. Like the names “xerox” and “Kleenex” these brand names have somewhat become general names for the type. These things can throw you out of a boat in an instant, and there is no “braking” or reverse on most. We have a Pro Drive at work that does reverse by turning the lower unit 180-degrees. These motors are superb in shallow and mud bank settings, and chop weeds up that would quickly foul a water cooled outboard. An excellent tool in the toolbox.

As with most things that excel in challenging conditions, careless and/or negligent operation can be very destructive.

Hey, that's not a Summersong! Have you been quietly building a fleet up there?
Um. Yes. (hangs head in shame) 😒

Hubby drove down to the Wenonah clearance sale a couple weeks ago, looking for a Prism. I had him check on Voyagers after he found the Prism, and this one was also 52% off. So he came home with 2 boats and 2 carbon paddles. And now it STOPS. Really. I’m serious this time. Really. No, I mean it…..

I do still love the Summersong, though. It’ll be my small water boat.

Um. Yes. (hangs head in shame) 😒

Hubby drove down to the Wenonah clearance sale a couple weeks ago, looking for a Prism. I had him check on Voyagers after he found the Prism, and this one was also 52% off. So he came home with 2 boats and 2 carbon paddles. And now it STOPS. Really. I’m serious this time. Really. No, I mean it…..

I do still love the Summersong, though. It’ll be my small water boat.
LOL No need to hang your head (in shame or otherwise). So many canoes, so little time... enjoy all of them that you can!

Back