• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Show pictures of your tent(s) on a canoe trip

Canotrouge.........
Does it have bug screen or inner tent? We have a Dana Designs Nuk Tuk Tent that is similar, though smaller, that has a bug screen inner tent with a floor. Really nice to sleep out this time of the year on clear night in just the bug tent part to watch stars or if they are active Northern Lights. It has slept 3 in it with room for personal gear. The size is 8 X 8 feet X 74 inches tall at the center, 6 pounds 4 oz, stuffs into about 7X18 without the pole. Once took it out into the alpine tundra, forgot the pole as it usually hangs from a tripod of locally cut poles, my companions on that trip have never let me forget those three nights. Generally pitch it so the front half is under the big CCS tarp so in case it is raining we have a dry entryway. In really hot weather we just pitch the inner bug tent under the tarp. Pretty versatile style of tent, #1 plus, is not crawling around in it like some of our other tents.

Last edited:
Good luck with that tent Canot. Mine is an 11' circle with a woodstove and weighs a total of less than 15 lbs. I wish the door zipper went higher so the doors would open more.

Attachments

• photo16942.jpg
    photo16942.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo16943.jpg
    photo16943.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 7
I have a Go lite version of the tent Canotrouge has and same dimensions. They called it the Shrangri La 4+. I've had three adults, two labs, and a chessie in there. I have a bug net floor combo, and also just a floor (no net) for it. I love it, and am saving up for cuben fiber version. I also like the Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for winter paddling. And the other tent is a BA Emerald Mountain 3. That tent has gone on a lot of BWCA trips with the dog. The large vestibule is very useful on the Nallo Gt and Emerald Mtn.

P3160130 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

P3070087 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

P2038281 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

P5030038 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

I have a Go lite version of the tent Canotrouge has and same dimensions. They called it the Shrangri La 4+. I've had three adults, two labs, and a chessie in there. I have a bug net floor combo, and also just a floor (no net) for it. I love it, and am saving up for cuben fiber version. I also like the Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for winter paddling. And the other tent is a BA Emerald Mountain 3. That tent has gone on a lot of BWCA trips with the dog. The large vestibule is very useful on the Nallo Gt and Emerald Mtn.

P3160130 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

P3070087 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

P2038281 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

P5030038 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

We have a Hilleberg tent to the one you can’t pronounce the name lol... it is a “4” man they say.... but way to small for us and like I said I’m done with crawling I to tents! Winter and easy trips it will always be my snowtrekker or my campfire tent, canvas is king in my opinion, but for fly in trips or alpine caribou and sheep hunt then that one will do!!
as for Cuben fibre that is what I wanted and the owner of MLD said that that tent is too big for Cuben fibre it would be too expensive(the fabric doesn’t come into the same sizes)! I also read a bunch of place that setting up tents in Cuben Fiber is or can be a pain and that they are crazy noisy in colder weather!!

Hyper lite makes the cubes fiber version. It will only be used for three season backpacking so light needs to be its primary attribute. I agree a snowtrekker would be sweet but here in the Appalachian mountains it would be too burdensome to use for winter camping. I might be willing to carry it over the occasional portage but that’s it. If my wife ever agrees to move to Duluth though I’ll be going canvas and pulk sled!

cheers

barry

Hyper lite makes the cubes fiber version. It will only be used for three season backpacking so light needs to be its primary attribute. I agree a snowtrekker would be sweet but here in the Appalachian mountains it would be too burdensome to use for winter camping. I might be willing to carry it over the occasional portage but that’s it. If my wife ever agrees to move to Duluth though I’ll be going canvas and pulk sled!

cheers

barry

The biggest one hyperlight does is 9x9 so not as big as the one we just got!

MEC Wanderer 4 in many places, our go to tent regardless of the 12 pound weight.

In order, on the Broadleaf River, Kosteck Lake, Marshall Lake, Maskwa River, Rice River, Siderock Lake

Attachments

• photo16980.jpg
    photo16980.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo16981.jpg
    photo16981.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo16982.jpg
    photo16982.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo16983.jpg
    photo16983.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo16984.jpg
    photo16984.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo16985.jpg
    photo16985.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi Patrick, yes it’s the X-Mid. I used it on the trip as it was new and I wanted to test it out. Worked fine but as it uses hiking poles to erect it it really isn’t all that convenient for canoeing. Now for backpacking I love it, light, very weatherproof (been through a good windy rain Storm above tree line) lots of room in the vestibules, fits a large inflatable pad and because of no poles it really reduces bulk in your pack. There is also a 2 person version out this year. HTH, cheers.

Deleted

Attachments

• photo17844.jpg
    photo17844.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've been using this as a solo tent for about 4 yrs now. I love it It has survived some of the heaviest and windy rains, I've encountered.
for $60 shipped to my door? I feel like a Thief ! It goes up easy and quick ! It comes with a single fiberglass pole.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-200...53.m1438.l2649.

I replaced it with a$20 aluminum.
I love this tent so far. No need for ground cloth either.

IMG_3126.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3126.jpg Views:	60 Size:	509.3 KB ID:	117716

IMG_3126.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3126.jpg Views:	60 Size:	509.3 KB ID:	117716

Last edited:
Ha ha, thanks Gerald. I think of you every time I use it. I really do. You probably notice the fly is not looking properly fitted. That's because is wasn't. We stopped by this possible campsite to check it out for later on in the trip and had only gotten ashore under changeable skies when I turned around and saw a big black cloud bank coming our way. It was moving at incredible speed. Wow I thought. Should we get going or pitch camp here? The rain and wind started so we hustled to get the tent up for some protection. That's when I realized it had been 2 years since I last used this excellent tent. Tabernoosh. Where were the directions I kept inside? Oh yeah. I had filed them next to the printer in our basement home office in a special filing system I call "I'll just put it here for the moment." My wife calls that pile of papers the "You better deal with that because I'm not touching it". Well at least I think that's where it is. I can always print off another from a pdf file I have saved. Anyway, back in Temagami, we both struggled with setting up the tent in gusting winds and the rain. I left her to figure out the tent while I tried to put up a wind break tarp on this very exposed site. By the time that was up 3 centuries later the winds started gusting from both west and east. Oh darn. So I went back to the tent project.
I thought "there must be a brilliant reason there are black and gold poles and black and gold webbing tabs. I wish Gerald was here." And then it was a game of cat and mouse trying to find enough dirt to tease tent stakes into to guy out the fly. That was the first campsite I've ever been on where I couldn't find enough rocks to tie off to. Do people take them home? Throw them in the lake? Because they sure aren't in the fire ring nor anywhere else on the island. We piled into the "erected tent" and out of the hostile elements when my wife said "You know what? I'm hungry." I crawled out again and set up the twig stove. That's when I discovered that Bic lighters don't work when they're wet. Or maybe they were just too cold. Just like us. So I scraped up some birch bark nice and fluffy and scratched some big gobs of sparks from my ferro rod and knife and got a blaze going. I threatened her with dehydrated vegetarian chili. That got her out of the tent and towards the food barrel. She insisted on steaks..."Brad I'm not eating your vegetarian bean chili." I didn't dare crawl back into the "erected tent" no matter how much I really wanted to. So I fed the fire while she sizzled the steaks. We both huddled over the fire looking at the tent thinking "That sure is a nice solid shelter."
"We" burned the steaks.

Last edited:
Back