• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Shop time during the coronavirus lockdown

I'm working on my last two non wood canoes, and unless someone drops one in my lap, hopefully my last non wood canoes. Life goes by too quickly for a guy like me to work on plastic stuff. There was a sign in Schuyler Thomson's shop that read "If God wanted us to paddle plastic canoes he would have grown plastic trees", ok, of the soap box.

An Old Town FG Stillwater 14' x 36" (good for photography and fly fishing per on line reviews) and a 16' x 33" FG Mohawk (chopergun) which actually looks like it will be a nice paddling canoe.

G0013294.JPG

Robin, in spite of those canoes being plastic, its gratifying in bringing them back from the grave for someone to put to use!

Last summer while visiting friends in Vermont, we borrowed a very used plastic canoe from other friends in order to go ‘dinner cruising’ with several paddling couples. The boat was in horrible condition; we had to excavate the gunwale out of the dirt where it had lain for years, and wash out the leaves, mouse nests, etc. I was embarrassed to climb into it at the launch! However, after about a half hour of paddling I forgot all about what a piece of crap the boat was, and realized I was focused on the joy of slipping through the water and enjoying my surroundings!

You’ll make someone happy with their “new” canoe.

Well, if you get really, really bored Robin I do have an old Stowe 17' canoe that needs attention! I just can't seem to bring myself to spend the time to fix it!

HaHa,see, they just keep falling in my lap.

download (1).jpg
9k=

Last edited:
dang, that is a naked wall.

So, do tell, I know that is local wood you harvested and ran through your sawmill and planer, and I expect you have mentioned, but what is it?

dang, that is a naked wall.

So, do tell, I know that is local wood you harvested and ran through your sawmill and planer, and I expect you have mentioned, but what is it?

Well, I did mention it on Facebook but you wouldn't have seen that. :D

Off the top of my head, on the walls, there is walnut, red oak, american elm, red elm, ash, spruce, basswood, hackberry and maple (some of it spalted). The board and batten siding is all spruce and much of the framing and storage loft are cottonwood.

I saved a lot of money using my own wood. And spent WAY more time. On paper it doesn't work out but from a satisfaction standpoint it does.

Alan

Just finishing up a dining table for a client... solid white ash, hand plane finish(no sand paper touched that thing) first coat of finish went on tof
day!

Attachments

• photo15010.jpg
    photo15010.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo15011.jpg
    photo15011.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • photo15012.jpg
    photo15012.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo15013.jpg