• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

shipping charges

Reaction score
I noticed on Gander Mountain online, an Old Town canoe has shipping charges of $400. A Mad River canoe, of the same size & weight, has shipping charges of $50.

Why would there be a $350 difference?

I would send Gander Mountain an email asking why. Does seem strange. Are they somehow packed different or shipped by different methods? Maybe shipped from different locations?

You don't have to order an Old Town Canoe through Gander Mountain. There are other retailers. I would call ( not email ) Gander Mountain to find out why the shipping charges are so different. I understand that Old Town is in Eastern Maine (not far from me) and Perception is closer to MN but I can't reconcile that big a difference.

If the $400 shipping charge is to have an Old Town delivered to Gander Mountain I doubt they are selling many. If that was the charge to have one delivered to my front door, wrapped with a big red bow, I’d still never pay it.

You seem set on purchasing a new canoe. Depending on the price delta between different retailers and the driving distance to go inspect it and pick it up I might pay the $50. Tops.

I may be out of touch with the marketplace, but if I would expect a big box retailer to get me a poly canoe in their next semi-load for free.

Maybe it's getting like car sales... Dealer holdback, special incentives... "partial shipping". who knows.

Your profile doesn't list a location... if you're right there next to the Mad River factory, vs in Maine, I get it.

Back