• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Self Shuttling

Reaction score
Today we used an app to measure distances and times along the river. It really helped put the maps in perspective. The fish weren’t biting so not much time wasted there. Screwed up and didn’t shut it off right away after landing. IMG_9128.pngIMG_9130.pngIMG_9126.png

We usually travel for canoe trips and stay out for a week or close to it. We did a trip on the Upper Missouri R in MT on the Trail of Lewis and Clark. The trip was 151 river miles, but the shuttle took over 8 hours.

We usually shuttle our own vehicles. When a trip is cut short I usually just hitch hike with a lifejacket. IN the West I have met some great people doing that. I give them $20 or a twleve pack.

ppine- how was that trip on the Misssouri? I have been thinking of doing it and have seen varied reports, good and bad. Do you think it was worth doing? I know that the logistics are tough. What time of year did you run it? Thanks for any opinions.

Hey, Black_fly, did you forget the "Self Shuttling" part of your post or is your post about mapping apps? I'm confused, which is pretty normal for me! I don't see a put-in where you put in. Shuttle by magic carpet?

Hey, Black_fly, did you forget the "Self Shuttling" part of your post or is your post about mapping apps? I'm confused, which is pretty normal for me! I don't see a put-in where you put in. Shuttle by magic carpet?
Didn’t figure anyone cared how I got home. First mile is on gravel. 3.62 mile walk in one hour. Takes about 30 minutes longer if I use my canoe cart. No water for Boges on route so I have to carry extra.
IMG_9119.png

Last edited:
That looks like a prime section for a bike shuttle. Drop the bike at the takeout, drive up, paddle down, ride back for the vehicle and grab the boat on the way out. Or vise versa. Only downfall is leaving the bike or boat… which is a bummer, but a lock or a little hiding might be fine.

Halpc,
We really enjoyed the Upper Missouri R from Ft Benton to Kip Bridge. We went in July which was too hot. Eastern Montana can get really hot as in 112 degrees. It caught us by surprise. The weather cooled off later. We brought the journal of Lewis and Clark and read out of it every night. We camped in the some of the same places they did. The first three days there are commercial trips. We went in 1999, but the last 4 days we saw no one. One pilot that waved. The bighorn sheep did not even lift their heads as we floated past.

I would go in May if the water is not too high. The fall would be best September. The river has plenty of current but no difficult rapids. Great places to camp with cottonwoods for shade. Lots of old homesteads to see. Lewistown, MT is a great base of operations. The Lewis and Clark National Forest and the Little Belt Mountains were great places to visit. Plenty of history. One of my best river trips in 60 years.

That looks like a prime section for a bike shuttle. Drop the bike at the takeout, drive up, paddle down, ride back for the vehicle and grab the boat on the way out. Or vise versa. Only downfall is leaving the bike or boat… which is a bummer, but a lock or a little hiding might be fine.
My buddy frequently does self shuttles by dropping off a cheap used Chinese brand motor scooter and locking it at his takeout. Drives the scooter back to his vehicle and carries it on a modified hitch hauler on his Jeep back to pickup his boat.

My buddy frequently does self shuttles by dropping off a cheap used Chinese brand motor scooter and locking it at his takeout.
A friend and mentor of mine, 60 years ago or so, used to use a motorbike. Many of these were homemade from regular bikes and lawn mower engines; some from commercial kits:

Halpc,
We really enjoyed the Upper Missouri R from Ft Benton to Kip Bridge. We went in July which was too hot. Eastern Montana can get really hot as in 112 degrees. It caught us by surprise. The weather cooled off later. We brought the journal of Lewis and Clark and read out of it every night. We camped in the some of the same places they did. The first three days there are commercial trips. We went in 1999, but the last 4 days we saw no one. One pilot that waved. The bighorn sheep did not even lift their heads as we floated past.

I would go in May if the water is not too high. The fall would be best September. The river has plenty of current but no difficult rapids. Great places to camp with cottonwoods for shade. Lots of old homesteads to see. Lewistown, MT is a great base of operations. The Lewis and Clark National Forest and the Little Belt Mountains were great places to visit. Plenty of history. One of my best river trips in 60 years.
Ppine- Thanks for the info. At age 76 I am trying to prioritize the trips I want to do, realizing that they are increasingly limited in number. The Upper Missouri is very tempting- I really enjoyed “Undaunted Courage” and would like to camp at some of the L&C sites. Logistics and getting commitments from paddling partners are a challenge. Do you have any highly recommended trips, or day trips, over your way? I generally stick with Class 1-2 now when canoeing, but also like some lakes.

A friend and mentor of mine, 60 years ago or so, used to use a motorbike. Many of these were homemade from regular bikes and lawn mower engines; some from commercial kits:

Sorry, a bit OT but I remember a couple of older kids in the neighborhood in the early 1960’s had Whizzer engines attached to their bikes. I thought they were neat but my mother would not allow it. Her brother (my uncle) had cracked up his Harley after returning from WW2. Neither my brother or I ever had a motorcycle while living at home.

Halpc,
The easier runs on the Trinity River are spectacular but a little technical. I really like the Sacramento River in the fall when the salmon are running and cooler weather. Below Redding. The trip to Red Bluff is great. 3 days or so. But you have to have some one watch your vehicles in that part of California. I would consider the John Day River or the Willamette Rivers in Oregon. The lower Klamath River or the lower Umpua River, Or.

Back